Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most common mistakes that you see other riders make? Or which have you made yourself? I figure if we get em all down then we will also know what to pay attention to in our own riding.

I think the most common I come across, and I come across is just about daily during riding season, is riders not turning off thier turn signals!! So many times I see guys just cruisin straight in their lane for miles with a blinker on... its sooooo dangerous too, its like a written invitation for everyone else on the road to turn in front of you, cut you off, get pissed at you, whatever...

I'm not so bad with it anymore, I make it a habit to hit my turn signal cancel button everytime I check my mirrors... about every 5 seconds or so.. After doing that for a bit its just second nature, so I do it all the time w/o even thinking about it..

What do you see out there, or have a bad habit of doing yourself?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
yeah that turn signal one is horrible... see it all day on saturday ride...

I'd say not being aware of your surroundings!!!

Good thread POD!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Turn signal one is a HUGE one... Annoys the piss out of me..

Not maintaining a clear lane when riding in a group - usually weaving back and forth..

Riding with brights on at night - of course that is a matter of discussion as it may not necessairly be wrong to them - whatever - it is wrong to me and I hate being blinded..

That is all I can think of right now..

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
High beams at night is just dangerous...

Let me say this...

What do 99% of people do when they see high beams... they flash you and stare right at them... what happens when you stare.... point fixation... somebody is going to hit you!!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
I hate when people ride above their abillity and wreck, no only does it suck for them but after somthing like that happens, you wreck everyone elses day. We had guy like that last season. He talked a big game and had to prove to everyone that he was a cool guy. He ended up on back with the cops and meat wagon having to called. I felt really sorry for the guy, but you you have to ride in your abllity. Im mean your on a public road there is no reason to push more that 75%. I have NEVER rode over 75% on the street, I have learned my lesson. I was pushing to hard late in the week @ the gap after I got really confortable and hit the yellow line and my wheel came out from under me. It was a dunb move on my part.

Dont get me wrong if you wreck in gravel or somthing strange happens thats fine but wrecking on the street because you were pushing to hard is dumb and Im gulity of it.

·
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing... A few of the guys I have seen will worry so much about cutting the apex of a corner that they don't really pay attention to the fact that thier head is hanging 2 feet into the oncoming lane with traffic headed at them.... some times we forget that just because the tires are on the right side of the yellow, that doesn't mean the rest of us is. :)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Twisty what about wildlife factor?? :D

Pickle... I hear ya but what if nobody is coming in that lane??

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah.... well we all remember what happens if you hit one...

·
Registered
941 Posts
twisty said:
I hate when people ride above their abillity and wreck, no only does it suck for them but after somthing like that happens, you wreck everyone elses day. We had guy like that last season. He talked a big game and had to prove to everyone that he was a cool guy. He ended up on back with the cops and meat wagon having to called. I felt really sorry for the guy, but you you have to ride in your abllity. Im mean your on a public road there is no reason to push more that 75%. I have NEVER rode over 75% on the street, I have learned my lesson. I was pushing to hard late in the week @ the gap after I got really confortable and hit the yellow line and my wheel came out from under me. It was a dunb move on my part.

Dont get me wrong if you wreck in gravel or somthing strange happens thats fine but wrecking on the street because you were pushing to hard is dumb and Im gulity of it.
I'll second what Twist says. Gap....same trip, first day for me. Having a ball and then I have this idea to push it. Really want to tame the dragon so I start pushing harder and harder. Having fun and I still push harder....pushed too hard, hit a corner with too much speed, leaned her over, draggin a knee....then I was dragging everything into the ditch because I ran out of road.

·
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gas Man said:
Twisty what about wildlife factor?? :D

Pickle... I hear ya but what if nobody is coming in that lane??

That comes down to what you said Gas Man, being aware of your surroundings. Being aware that there IS A car coming, so don't stick your head out there! hehe. Or being aware that it is a very blind corner, so don't stick your head in there either! Gotta know when ya can and when ya cant!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, I have a habit of hitting my signal cancel button often, but sometimes I forget and leave the signal on if I've made a "semi-turn". You know, the type of turn that isn't an actual "turn", like when a road splits off in two directions. For instance, one road in town curves to the right, but there is another road that runs straight off at the curve and I use my left signal there. Because I'm actually going straight, but considered as turning left off the regular road, I sometimes forget to cancel my signal.

Now, my biggest problem is riding would be letting my mind wander when riding. This is a HUGE problem and I have to keep bringing myself back to the "now". I swear I have ADD because I can't keep my mind on any one thing for any length of time. It's the worst at the start of the riding season because I'm so happy to get back on a bike again that I don't concentrate on riding, and believe me, it SHOWS in my riding. Just ask my brother; he's seen me first hand. However, as season progresses, I get used to keeping my mind on the present while I'm riding and I get better at concentrating. This is a VERY dangerous problem, but I'm getting better. Anything can happen on a bike and things happen VERY fast, so we need to keep our minds on what's going on around us. If we can't do that, we should pull over and take a breather until we can concentrate. I have to remind myself of that all the time. Accidents, wrecks, etc. are more likely to happen if we don't concentrate.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
i see alot of riders that never use thier rear brake. Front end diving, all out of control looking... saw a guy nearly rear end a truck twice in traffic. Looked like whiplash when that thing stopped, had to kill the wrists. Then he spent the next min down shifting from wherever cause he obviously couldnt find N.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
JK_DILLA said:
i see alot of riders that never use thier rear brake. Front end diving, all out of control looking... saw a guy nearly rear end a truck twice in traffic. Looked like whiplash when that thing stopped, had to kill the wrists. Then he spent the next min down shifting from wherever cause he obviously couldnt find N.
I'm guilty of not using my rear brake all the time. There is certain situations where you don't need to. When i come to a stop i usually use it towards the final moments of stopping. I use the front at first and step on the rear a couple seconds later. I don't know why I do it, but i just do. I hate it when I forget to down shift to first when I stop. i usually get into second for engine brakin and sometimes I forget to go to first. Sometimes I'll start up and i'm like-Damn this doesn't feel like first. I'm getting better though. I have ADD like you Cap. I guess i'm just so comfortable on the bike now, I tend to think of other things, but I'm workin on it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I never use my rear brakes, unless the ground is wet then ill use both.....in a panic stop theres really not much the rear can do but lock up since theres not too much weight on it anyways....I will use the rear when im going slow and comming to a stop at normal speeds but ever other time its all front brakes for me....

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
GsxrJack said:
I never use my rear brakes, unless the ground is wet then ill use both.....in a panic stop theres really not much the rear can do but lock up since theres not too much weight on it anyways....I will use the rear when im going slow and comming to a stop at normal speeds but ever other time its all front brakes for me....
So am I doing something wrong when I use the rear brake slightly as I enter a corner? It allows me to keep the RPM's up, then I accelerate coming out of the turn. I use my rear brake alot

·
Registered
955 Posts
bumblebee said:
So am I doing something wrong when I use the rear brake slightly as I enter a corner? It allows me to keep the RPM's up, then I accelerate coming out of the turn. I use my rear brake alot
Theres not a right and wrong i think on rear brake usage on the street or the track for that matter, if im entering a turn on the street ill be on the front brake even when im leaned over, its just something ive always been doing in racing.....

In racing, im hard on the front brake at the brake marker, lean it over while still pretty hard on the brakes, then gradually off the brakes and roll on throttle...its just the way i was taught by dale quarterly and johnny betencourt a long time ago, and i still think it works today.

now you have racers "backing the bike into a turn" by hitting the rear brake and getting the back end sliding so they are already turned then lean it into the corner...thats something i dont suggest anyone try on the street :nonod:

some people like to trail brake with the rear in a turn but i think thats mostly people with the 250/125 bikes where they have to keep the revs up..hell those guys dont even slow down for corners anyways

·
Registered
241 Posts
I see alot of people riding side by side. I personally dont like anyone right next to me. Im sure that was a big factor in my accident. I assumed that this other guy would go into a single file formation before entering the curve (35mph) and the next thing i know he's on the left of my rear wheel!!! But i can say i was also pushing it a lil that day too!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts