Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preble County, OH, - A Brookville man is in critical condition after a motorcycle crash in Preble County. The wreck happened Wednesday night on westbound U. S. 40 near Lewisburg.Authorities say 70-year-old Shelby Hobbs smashed into a truck which pulled into his path from Jordan Road. Careflight took Hobbs to Miami Valley Hospital where he is listed in serious condition this morning.

The driver of the truck, 39-year-old Ricky Harmon was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital. He is expected to be okay.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Problem 1: 70 year old on a bike. Probably should not drive a car, let alone be on a bike.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Ace said:
Problem 1: 70 year old on a bike. Probably should not drive a car, let alone be on a bike.
:withstupi That is just BAD!

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope I am still riding at 71!!! I have a cousin who is still driving at 91...Last week when the storm stories started...he left South Florida and showed up at my Mom's in Illinois by himself. Up until 4 years ago, he would drive his 32' motorhome pulling his auto transport from Warren, (retired after 40 years at chrysler) to south Florida for the winter and back. He used to ride around on my bikes when he would come to visit, up until about 2 years ago, when he was 89...He still plays 9 holes of golf everyday, and he walks...He might have a different opinion... :skep:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I know...many people would have a different opinion but you have to out weigh the odds. But you have to remember, driving/riding is a privlage, not a right. That is why you have to go thru all the training and tests. They should after a certain age...say the official retirement age have to take yearly tests to re-certify your D.L.... my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I dont care what anyone says, old people should not drive! They no long posess the reaction time required to drive safely and they pose a danger to just about everyone around them. So either dont drive or put them through tests to see if they still have what it takes. Few, if any, would pass appropriate tests.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they required all drivers to take written, vision and driving tests every 4 years, the failure rate would be really high, especially on bikes

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
bumblebee said:
If they required all drivers to take written, vision and driving tests every 4 years, the failure rate would be really high, especially on bikes

Good! Maybe then insurance rates woul dbe reasonable, getting all those dumb asses off the roads!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
did the 70yo have anything to dso with causing it.. Probably not.... WE dont know if it was a slow reaction time or if the truck pulled out so close Rossi couldnt avoid being hit....

I know a 73 yo that rides his Harley all summer with a tobacco pipe in his mouth everywhere... he can ride as well as any other 25 yo harley guy ( which may not say much) but hes never been an an accident or got a ticket in car or bike...

Its the dumbass in a car who may have killed the 70 yo. Stupid ppl kill smart ppl.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
OLD PEOPLE SHOULD NOT DRIVE PERIOD........

When I am that old, I will be in a home, crapping myself and letting some nurse sponge bathe me!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.