Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the rule of thumb for % drivetrain loss bikes have? For instance, vettes are around 15% for manuals.. meaning, if they're rated at 350hp, they dyno somewhere around 305rwhp.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Damnit Shan, you had to link me didn't you? Now I have to order it. lol

GasMan, thanks, I've been trying to find that info for months. :lol: So if that's right and the busas I've seen dyno stock are doing 158rwhp, then they're 175hp at the crank? That doesn't sound right, I thought they were rated at 160-something. It doesn't really matter, just curious.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sorry about the :jacked: . Installing the TRE on Suzuki's, and the Bonneville Box on ZX-12's is project #79 in the 101 Sportbike Performance Projects book I just received. Speedwerk's should have the Ivan's TRE.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My Z1000 is 140HP aT THE CRANK and 125 RWHP... that comes out to about 10.8%. thats with a 525 chain and sprocket set... so depending on what the busa's chain is maybe a bit more or less.. but id imagine a busa runs a 530 chain and sprocket set so id say 11% maybe... either way not a big diff on crank number. Givben a busas numbers that gives ya aobut a 165-175 Crank HP. But thats not including the ram air benfit im sure... Suzuki used to claim mid 180's.... id beleive it if u cram 100+MPH wind down the intake.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah so my 10% is about right... if you take your hp at the rear wheel and divide it by .90 you'll get a good estimate of the crank hp.... glad/hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
or multiply it by 1.1.... :wink:

I hate division so i do everything in multiplication.

And if u wanan know what YOUR bike does with mods Dyno it now and hten do the math.. and be sure to post your dyno run up for us.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Pigface1 said:
Cool deal, I'll be in touch tomorrow or Friday. :thumbs: I'm new to the whole bike mod thing. .hopefully it doesn't get out of hand as quickly as it does with cars. :lol:
Its a sickness! :sorry:
Today TRE,
Tomorrow BIG bore kit. :lol:

·
Registered
893 Posts
10% - 15% depending on the amount of reciprocating mass and rolling resistance from the bearings. Also, there's some loss in the tranny that you'll never get back.

The lighter the sprockets, chain, and wheel, the less loss you'll have. Ceramic bearings are icing on the cake if you want to be really anal (but you're really talking about a .5% - 1% difference).

- Roach

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.