·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/News/2005/05/11/1034491-sun.html

Motorcycle rates bashed

MPI's premiums called outrageous

By FRANK LANDRY, LEGISLATURE REPORTER

Motorcycle insurance rates have gone up nearly 370% in Manitoba over the past decade, compared with less than 20% for cars, finds a new study.

The study, commissioned by the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council (MMIC), was released yesterday.

"It's outrageous," said Doug Houghton, vice-president of the Coalition of Manitoba Motorcycle Groups. "There's quite a difference between what a motorcycle pays and what a passenger vehicle pays."

Houghton said he's heard of motorcycle owners whose premiums have shot up more in one year than some car owners pay in total annual premiums.

The MMIC presented its findings yesterday to the Public Utilities Board, which is holding hearings examining how Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) determines insurance rates for motorcycles.

The MMIC found the cumulative increase in motorcycle insurance premiums in Manitoba since 1993/94 was 368.8%, compared to 17.8% for private passenger automobiles.

Under the current system, MPI assigns automobile accident costs by vehicle classification.

If a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle are involved in an accident, that crash is included in the pool used to determine the rate of the insurance premiums paid by all bikers -- even if the driver of the motorcycle wasn't at fault.

Groups like the MMIC have argued that's unfair. But MPI spokesman Brian Smiley said car owners don't want to subsidize the cost of motorcycle insurance.

"Manitobans have told us they don't want cross-subsidization," Smiley said. "People who own passenger cars would be forced to subsidize motorcyclists if the motorcyclists had their way."

The PUB hearings wrap up tomorrow.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
DAN DUBEAU said:
Every year our healthcare situation goes more and more down the ****ter.
Well if it makes you feel any better...every year my heathcare costs go up up and up!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Its happing here too.
05 WRX STi with full coverage for me = $675 a year.
04 998 or GSXR 1000 full coverage for me = $720 a year.
I can buy two 998's or Three GSXR 1000's for the price of the cage.
I have one speeding ticket (almost one year ago) and one motorcycle claim over five years ago. (total loss) :rant:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
jeeps84 said:
I get nailed with high rates because of where I live. :rant:
Yeah you do! Those rates are high on the MC! I pay like $400 a year full coverage with $500 deduct on my '02 9R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts