Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the riders I meet in Colorado don't have a motorcycle endorsement. The road test used to be very difficult. The beginning was easy. The rider had to do two upshifts, weave between six cones, ride a straight line while keeping the tires in-between the double yellow, and then brake while coming toward the tester. Simple, but then came the hard part.

The rider had to do a figure-8 in the width of a car lane. After you did one direction, you had to reverse, and go in the other direction. The handlebar was against the stops while you had to balance, give it gas, brake, and slip the clutch. If your foot touched the ground, or the tire went outside the lines, you failed.

I had a learner's permit for several years, because I twice failed the figure-8 test with my 76 Suzuki GT750. I finally rented a Yamaha 175 and passed the test. So many people failed, they just got rid of the figure-8 part of the test. Did anyone else have a hard time with their local test?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
No Worries said:
Many of the riders I meet in Colorado don't have a motorcycle endorsement. The road test used to be very difficult. The beginning was easy. The rider had to do two upshifts, weave between six cones, ride a straight line while keeping the tires in-between the double yellow, and then brake while coming toward the tester. Simple, but then came the hard part.

The rider had to do a figure-8 in the width of a car lane. After you did one direction, you had to reverse, and go in the other direction. The handlebar was against the stops while you had to balance, give it gas, brake, and slip the clutch. If your foot touched the ground, or the tire went outside the lines, you failed.

I had a learner's permit for several years, because I twice failed the figure-8 test with my 76 Suzuki GT750. I finally rented a Yamaha 175 and passed the test. So many people failed, they just got rid of the figure-8 part of the test. Did anyone else have a hard time with their local test?

My recommendation, just take the MSF course, and get your license at the end of the course..thats the best way. Great instructors, great info, and they do all they can to help you understand all the material and riding skills so you dont fail.

the hell with that DOT rider test given by cops or anal instructors..
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
i'M WITH YA MATT! f THOSE TESTERS! i TOOK A msf COARSE TO GET MY ENDORSEMENT AND i ACTUALLY HAD THE HIGHEST SCORE IN THE CLASS. nO KIDDING, IT rocked!

i'VE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A TEST THAT YOU HAD TO DO A FIGURE 8! iN MY msf COARSE i HAD TO DO THE super slow CLUTCH CRAWL. wHERE YOU FEATHER THE CLUTCH AND USE THE REAR BRAKE TO GO AS SLOW AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN ACROSS A PARKING LOT! iT WAS TO TEACH YOU HOW TO COME UP TO A LIGHT OR STOP SIGN AND NOT STOP SO YOU DON'T PUT YOUR FEET DOWN.

i'VE TAKEN ALOT OF SAFETY DRIVING COARSES OVER THE YEARS FOR WORK AND RIDING A mc IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS TO SHARPEN YOUR SENSES AND SKILLS BEHIND THE WHEEL. wHEN YOU'RE ON A mc YOU HAVE no CHOICE BUT TO PAY ATTENTION OR YOUR dead! dURING RIDING YOU PICK UP MANY SKILLS THAT YOU CAN DIRECTLY USE WHEN DRIVING YOUR CAGE. i TELL ALL THE SAFETY DRIVING INSTRUCTORS THIS WHEN i'M IN THEIR CLASSES.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
:iagree: :iagree: I'm with the 2 of you on this one. Where am I going to need to do a figure 8 in the middle of the road??? No where. The MSF course would be the best and easiest way to go about it. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
I just got my license this year, and there were 6 different obstacle type tests I had to perform.

Sharp turn: You ride a short path and then make a sharp left turn at low speed while staying inside a 5-foot path.

Normal stop: You must make a smooth stop without skidding, with the front tire of your motorcycle in a painted box.

Cone weave: You must weave through a series of five cones which are place 12 feet apart with a 2-foot offset.

U-Turn: You must make a right U-turn in a marked area. Those operating motorcycles with more than 500 cc are allowed extra room to complete the U-turn.

Quick Stop: You accelerate along a straight path. At the end of the path which is marked by cones, you must stop your motorcycle as quickly and safely as possible.

Obstacle turn: You accelerate along a straight path. At the end of the path which is marked by cones, you must swerve to avoid an obstacle line and then swerve again to avoid the sideline
While performing the tasks you get marked down for stalling, putting down feet, crossing over the lines, not stopping fast enough, etc. If you dump the test is immediately over.

A few of the tests were ridiculous. For the sharp turn... I mean really sharp... I would normally have my feet down for extra balance. Bigger bikes were not given any extra space. The quick stop was also lame. You accelerate then stop. You aren't given credit for how fast you were going before you stopped.

I've alsways thought they needed something for people renewing licenses... motorcycle as well as car/truck. There are so many people who should not be allowed out there on the roads. With the exhorbitant rates of plates, renewals and the like they should have on road tests for everyone renewing. If not every 4 years, then every 8 at least. The costs could be covered by the insurance companies who won't have to pay out so much with the unsafe drivers off the roads. Maybe that's pushing it, but I think I'm on the right track.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
i HAD TO DO THE SAME TESTS FOR MY msf COARSE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
thats sounds really similar to the test I took to my license way back when I was 16, thru the MSF..pretty basic stuff overall..the instructors realize you'll learn alot more as you ride and get experience..all they are really looking to do is give you basic fundamentals and make sure you can keep the thing upright the majority of the time. ;)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
I didn't ace my test, that's for sure; but I passed.

New bike, first time rider, hot as h3!! outside with full gear and spent all day at the DMV. Not exactly perfect conditions for me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
:iagree: :iagree: I'm with the 2 of you on this one. Where am I going to need to do a figure 8 in the middle of the road??? No where. The MSF course would be the best and easiest way to go about it. :thumbs:
The purpose of the figure 8 test is to see if you can dip quickly from left side to right to swerve to miss an obstacle. In the real world, most of the time when you have to swerve to miss an obstacle such as old blue-hair pulling out in front of you, the figure 8 maneuver will come in very handy. I practice mine in a parking lot where two cars can pull in grill to grill. I start at the back of the space and use the divider between the spaces as the middle and I execute fig 8's passing over the divider each time I go from left side to right side, and making your circle within the lines of the space. It is much harder than it sounds. It teaches you how to make deep dips, 1 lane u-turns and use your back brake to control speed so you don't buck twisting the throttle. I practice my parking lot drills 2 to 3 times per week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
bumblebee said:
The purpose of the figure 8 test is to see if you can dip quickly from left side to right to swerve to miss an obstacle. In the real world, most of the time when you have to swerve to miss an obstacle such as old blue-hair pulling out in front of you, the figure 8 maneuver will come in very handy. I practice mine in a parking lot where two cars can pull in grill to grill. I start at the back of the space and use the divider between the spaces as the middle and I execute fig 8's passing over the divider each time I go from left side to right side, and making your circle within the lines of the space. It is much harder than it sounds. It teaches you how to make deep dips, 1 lane u-turns and use your back brake to control speed so you don't buck twisting the throttle. I practice my parking lot drills 2 to 3 times per week


I don't know about doing all that. Who cares if I can do a figure 8 or not. If a car pulls out infront of me(which its happen before a few times) I know how to lean hard to the right or the left to miss the car. Hit the twistys. I do. That helps you learn to lean to the left and or the right or not. I have np doing the figure 8 at all. I do it all the time when I take my 3yr old for a ride cause he likes to lean with the bike as well. I was just saying that with time a person will gain more experience riding and trying to get someone who is just learning or never riden before like a lot of ppl who take the test to try a figure 8 is stupid. Thats to small of an area that they make you do it in for someone new to the sport. Just my :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
riding figure 8's does aid in keeping your balance and control of your bike at slower speeds, which can only help you in everyday life as you're out and about on your bike. you never stop learning, and the more you practice, and increase your knowledge, the longer you tend to keep the rubber side down.

how much it will aid you in being able to swerve outta the way at the last minute, well, it's all in how you combine your knowledge and keep your head on straight when you're out riding...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Becca007 -
Sharp turn: You ride a short path and then make a sharp left turn at low speed while staying inside a 5-foot path.

Normal stop: You must make a smooth stop without skidding, with the front tire of your motorcycle in a painted box.

Cone weave: You must weave through a series of five cones which are place 12 feet apart with a 2-foot offset.

U-Turn: You must make a right U-turn in a marked area. Those operating motorcycles with more than 500 cc are allowed extra room to complete the U-turn.

Quick Stop: You accelerate along a straight path. At the end of the path which is marked by cones, you must stop your motorcycle as quickly and safely as possible.

Obstacle turn: You accelerate along a straight path. At the end of the path which is marked by cones, you must swerve to avoid an obstacle line and then swerve again to avoid the sideline



Thank you for the info. I was supposed to take the course this month, but had to postpone it till the spring. Thanks for the heads up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
Gas Man said:
i HAD TO DO THE SAME TESTS FOR MY msf COARSE.
Obviously you failed the CHECK IF YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY IS ON OR OFF test.

I took my road test in the pouring down rain and aced it even though the bike stalled twice because I didn't warm it up sufficiently. She actually commented that # 1 most people don't trailer their bikes up there they just ride without a license and fail immediately and # 2 that it was bad that the bike stalled but understood because of the rain and rushed test without time to warm it up, etc. - it was a temperamental XT600 but it was good that I was able to restart without putting feet down or losing focus, etc.

Best bet is to borrow a small bike - dirt bike or Ninja 250 - to take the test and you should have no problem.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
No I was just doing that to see how long it would take for someone to realize it! 2 pts to MP!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
No I was just doing that to see how long it would take for someone to realize it! 2 pts to MP!!!

hey, dont I get partial credit for just wanting to see how long you'd keep doing it ? :lol:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
wELL WHO KNOWS IF YOU EVER REALLY NOTICED TILL mp SAID SOMETHING! i DON'T! cAN cjd VOUCH FOR YA??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
wELL WHO KNOWS IF YOU EVER REALLY NOTICED TILL mp SAID SOMETHING! i DON'T! cAN cjd VOUCH FOR YA??
Would I lie to a WOS guy ?? :rolleyes: :lol: ok ok, I'll tell her to vouch for me. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
twisty said:
I never took a class just learned on the road and then took the test at a driving school and 20 mins later I had the License
That's because you are the GSXR king. We are not all bad mfrs like you Sir Twist-Alot. Who let that mfr back out of his cage damnit? Pippi please restrain the youth.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top