1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Kevin Tibbles
Correspondent
NBC News

CHICAGO - For thrill seekers, motorcycles have always been an adrenaline rush. But today's fastest-growing craze — ultra-powerful, super-fast sport bikes — have made motorcycling more thrilling and more dangerous.

"It's like riding a roller coaster," says one rider.

"The speeds are unbelievable," says a law enforcement officer.

They push 200 miles per hour.

Dean Campa turned Los Angeles streets into a speedway on his sport bike. He was caught and jailed for two years.

"It's an addiction, that you got to learn to turn on and turn off," says Campa.

Others aren't so lucky. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says fatalities have accelerated 71 percent from 2,294 in 1998 to 3,927 in 2004.

But it's not just the young and fearless who are dying. More and more older riders are buying these heavy, powerful cruising machines and hitting the highway — even though many are inexperienced riders. In just 10 years the age of the average motorcyclist has risen from 27 to 41. And of the increasing number of fatalities, 60 percent are over the age of 40.

Margit Showalter's son, Michael, was 41 when he was killed on his bike.

"Just because he can have a Harley and doesn't get the proper safety instructions, he needs to realize that he's endangering himself and his family," says Showalter.

Chicago's "Number One Stunna's" club is more than 200 strong and has not lost a single member. The club says safety comes first.

"It's real easy to get caught up in the speed thing and trying to get a name for yourself out here in the street and wanting to test your limits," says president Reese Golladay. "But you can easily end up in what they call a 'panic mode.'"

But for many on two wheels, that cocktail of speed, power and youth still proves too attractive — despite the risk.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I hope I never meet one of these reporters in a dark alley... otherwise I'm going to show them another side of bikers that he won't want to expierence!

·
March 2007 BOTM Winner!
237 Posts
I like how they talk about sport bikes, but then switch to Harley's. They make the statistics for fatalities sound like they are all sport bike fatalities, which isn't true. I'd like to see the breakdown, and I'd also like to see how many of those fatalaties were caused by car/truck drivers, something on the road, alchohol/drugs, and from unlicensed riders etc.

Break it down to properly licensed, clean blooded, responsible riders and the numbers will fall drastically.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Sime said:
I like how they talk about sport bikes, but then switch to Harley's. They make the statistics for fatalities sound like they are all sport bike fatalities, which isn't true. I'd like to see the breakdown, and I'd also like to see how many of those fatalaties were caused by car/truck drivers, something on the road, alchohol/drugs, and from unlicensed riders etc.

Break it down to properly licensed, clean blooded, responsible riders and the numbers will fall drastically.
:iagree:

·
March 2007 BOTM Winner!
237 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'd love to be able to get the stats and compile an accurate report, but the problem is, I don't think that they have that much indepth information on motorcycle crashes (well, not each individual crash anyways). They might classify the accidents by capacity of the motor, but it might be too difficult to ascertain what is what....sportbike or cruiser, tourer or Harley?

Also, the news article never talked one bit about the riders who are seriously injured but not killed by car drivers (or by their own doing in a single rider accident). Yeah, dead is real bad, but being confined to a wheelchair or having to eat out of a straw for the rest of your life is not fun either!Anyways, the article just sucked big time. Period.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There was an article written in the Aust Financial Review, by a complete moron, where the basic premise was that, since motorcycle accidents are more likely to result in death or injury than a car accident, they therefore cost more in terms of lost productivity, compensation, emergency services usage, etc. His suggestion was that all motorcycles should be banned, on a purely financial basis.
Naturally, everyone who rides, has ridden, or has ever thought about riding, want this person dead! Thankfully, no-one in the government has jumped on this bandwagon, but it only takes one idiot to get in the ear of someone with a bit of power, and a desire to make a statement, to screw with our lifestyle. :cursin:

Chuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts