Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motorcyclist Killed By Squad Car...check update

(WCCO) A State Patrol squad car struck and killed a motorcyclist at Highway 55 and Theo Wirth Parkway in Golden Valley, Minn., the State Patrol confirmed.

The accident happened just before 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Trooper Scott Mittelstadt was heading southbound on Wirth Parkway and turned left to eastbound Highway 55 when the crash occurred, the State Patrol said. He was not in pursuit or in an emergency mode.

The victim, 41-year-old Paul Martin Shusta of Hopkins, Minn., was pronounced dead at the scene, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said. Authorities said he was not wearing a helmet.

"Every traffic death is a tragedy, and when a trooper is involved it strikes at the core of our organization," State Patrol Maj. Kent O'Grady said in a prepared statement. "Today, tragedy struck three families -- the motorcyclist's, the trooper's and the State Patrol family as a whole."

Mittelstadt, who is 26, was placed on paid administrative leave in accordance with department policy. He has been with the State Patrol since March 2004.

The State Patrol and the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office are investigating the crash.

Here is a link with a pic and video to check out...2:40pm est

http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_159163956.html

And here is a pic from the paper.....

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
That's really too bad for all parties, especially the riders. Helmet or no, it is always sad to hear about someone passing before their time, or atleast what we consider their time to be.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Not enough information provided, but going out on a limb, I see more and more "Harley" riders without headlights on while riding durring the day. Talk about being a son of a beach to see them at times.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Gas Man said:
I'm going to have to lean towards it was the bikers fault!

I just had to Gas Man!LOL And I am trying to :whore: or "Gas Man" the Off Topic board! Almost have all the posts! :willy:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Still not enough info!
Still don't know what direction the biker was traveling?
The Trooper must not have seen him until---------
If the biker was at fault we will hear about it.
If the Trooper was at fault it will take a while to surface.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts