Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to jump in here? I don't know squat about racing, but I've been told you want to lean your body and keep the bike as upright as possible. I've heard other advice to the contrary.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I havent raced b/4 either...so i'll listen in as well..and wait till u track dudes to thru in ur :2cents: before i chime in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's not a racing tutorial, it's a cornering tutorial in general.

I highly recommend "Sport Riding Techniques", by Nick Ienatsch. He covers body position VERY well in that book. It's a MUST read! :)

In short, hanging off should increase your effective lean angle, allowing the bike to remain more vertical. That's a GOOD thing. It keeps plenty of ground clearance so you don't cantilever off your pegs or exhaust header, and also keeps more of your tire's tread in contact with the pavement, thus giving you a bigger contact patch.

I learned how to hang off because I had to. Scraping hard parts is never a good thing... Especially when it's your header which won't fold up like a peg. I already had to remove the peg feelers long before this pic was taken...

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I haven't picked up "Sport Riding Techniques", but it's my next book. As I've told N4S, another good book is "Total Control", by Lee Parks. Both are available on Amazon, as well as a couple other books on riding technique.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-0449303-3620102

I was shown how at one track day, then read "Total Control" and it really built on what I had learned first hand. I was dragging knees by my second track day.

I'm sure Twisty will come in with a lot of advice as well.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
I haven't picked up "Sport Riding Techniques", but it's my next book. As I've told N4S, another good book is "Total Control", by Lee Parks. Both are available on Amazon, as well as a couple other books on riding technique.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-0449303-3620102

I was shown how at one track day, then read "Total Control" and it really built on what I had learned first hand. I was dragging knees by my second track day.

I'm sure Twisty will come in with a lot of advice as well.
yeah we he gets back from the fun in the sun, while were all up here freezing.. :rant:

thanks again for info on the books Captain..the more help, the better.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Is there a DVD tutorial or book on tape? :D
A bit lazy, are we? :lol: The book that I mentioned has some good pictures, I'm not sure about the other book, though. You will learn more than you think from the book. Then, if you go to an instructional track day, they can help you out wherever you're having problems.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
twisty said:
"Twist of the wrist" is the best and the revamped on will be out soon. I owe all my racing and track accomplishments to that book and/or DVD.

Sweet. Will be looking forward to it. Let us know if you know when it comes out. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Sweet. Will be looking forward to it. Let us know if you know when it comes out. :dthumb:
definately..im on it too..especially if its on dvd too!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
"Twist of the wrist" is the best and the revamped on will be out soon. I owe all my racing and track accomplishments to that book and/or DVD.
Twisty, do you have the audio or DVD? If so can I get a copy from you that WORKS!!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Man O Man, don't get touchy!!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
double2000r6 said:
I will be in that class Sir Twisty. :dthumb:
Isn't everyday following Twisty a class?? :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
You'll laugh your ass off at the TOTW video. You probably won't learn much from it, either... It's definitely geared towards the track..

There is TOTW and TOTW II. II is definitely less track oriented than the first.

I used to swear by them. However, Sport Riding Techniques is actually a better book, IMHO...

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
I'm not sure I agree. I have read both and TOTW states how the technique can be used on the road and the track. IF your person wanting to do both trackdays and get better on the street TOTW is book your looking for.

And Stevnmd if you wish to see TOTW in action your more than welcome to come to the track on the 1st weekend of April and learn 1st hand.... :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts