Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been Jonesing for a bike for quite some time, and after talking to some folks, and looking at bikes, I think I want a Suzuki GSX. The question then becomes, do I want a 600, 750, or 1000?

I admit I don't have a whole lot of riding experience. I rode a bike for a short time in the 1980's, but not since. At the same time, I don't want to waste my money on some starter bike, only to want a bigger, badder bike in a few months.

I have nothing to prove, and don't plan on doing any nighttime riding, and wheelies, or stupid fast speeds until I get some miles on the bike.

What I need to know is, will I be totally "out of my league" if I just jump in and buy a GSX 1000? One guy I know told me that they are relatively calm at low speed and I don't have to worry about it popping an unwanted wheelie with me on my ass the first time I ride it, but I'd like some input here....

Thanks
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
FWIW, my first bike was a 650 and I think that's more than enough power. You'll want more, eventually. Jumping into a litre bike right off the bat could be asking for trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
The better question is how much self control do you have. I actually traded out of a GSXR1000 for a GSXR 600 and they were both very fast and very engaging bikes to ride. If you thought you wanted to do some wheelies etc.... I'd say get the 1000, otherwise the 600 is nearly as fast and a slightly lighter and more nimble package. You can't go wrong but my recommendation would be the 600, it will be plenty fast, a lot cheaper to acquire and easier to insure and you'll have just as much fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Douge said:
The better question is how much self control do you have. I actually traded out of a GSXR1000 for a GSXR 600 and they were both very fast and very engaging bikes to ride. If you thought you wanted to do some wheelies etc.... I'd say get the 1000, otherwise the 600 is nearly as fast and a slightly lighter and more nimble package. You can't go wrong but my recommendation would be the 600, it will be plenty fast, a lot cheaper to acquire and easier to insure and you'll have just as much fun.
Money is really not an object.... I have a fair bit of self-control. I'm no longer the 20-something daredevil I once was. :D

I was thinking 1000 because the first bike I ever rode was a KZ-1000, but I do hear that today's 1000's are nothing like the 1000's I've ridden 20 years ago.

The main thing is that I don't want to make the mistake of the "shoulda-gotten-what-I-wanted-in-the-first-place" syndrome. I kind of wanted the reassurance that I wouldn't outgrow the 600 right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
If thats how you feel get the 1000. Like I said, you can't go wrong and if you think you'll want full afterburner, the 1000 is the way to go. The 600 is marginally easier to ride but we're splitting hairs. I went down to the 600 specifically to use it on the track where it was a better fit than a 1000. If you are not gonna go out and wear holes in your knees on your favorite set of twisties the 1000 will handle extremely well and have enough power to beat a 737 down the runway. Honestly if you have the woulda coulda's get the 1K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pocketrocket said:
I find the 1000 sucks for riding around town, its so hard to do 25 mph . :bike:
Serious question---

Is it hard to do 25mph because it just begs to be driven faster, or because it is mechanically and physically difficult to sustain such a slow speed?

(I really don't know, not having ridden one.)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
343 Posts
Yes I find my self having to pull in the clutch alot because it bucks at that speed!!!!!!!!! My 600 hundie didnt have the much of an issue. :bike:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Nox said:
Serious question---

Is it hard to do 25mph because it just begs to be driven faster, or because it is mechanically and physically difficult to sustain such a slow speed?

(I really don't know, not having ridden one.)
obviously ur not going much of out of 1st gear, let alone second, if you're staying around 25 mph....I dont think its difficult to maintain that speed,(although it isnt exactly and exhilarating ride) if you have some experience on the bike...thats the city speed limit where I live, and I dont know for sure, but I think its fairly standard everywhere.

Sportbikes are of course made for one thing, speed....but todays bikes are so well mechanically tuned, and the bikes in general are so balanced, whether you're riding a VTX1300 or a Hyabusa,its not as hard as you may think :)

Matt :bike:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
GixxerChick said:
The 750 is the best of both worlds - light and nimble yet enough power to make you happy. Go for it!

I agree!!! Enough power to be exhilarting, but not too much that you become afraid of it....although that too, would pass in time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Thanks for all of your help....

For good or bad, I walked in to the shop to buy a GSX and rode out on a BMW 1100R.... Why you ask? Well, it all boiled down to what kind of riding I wanted to do. The BMW is a lot more comfortable in the long run at the sacrifice of a little speed. I can't see myself doing wheelies at 100 MPH, but I can see myself riding up the California coast this summer.

All in all, I think I've made the right decision for myself, but who knows, I may end up with a superfast Japanese bike as a second addition.

Thanks again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
GixxerChick said:
The 750 is the best of both worlds - light and nimble yet enough power to make you happy. Go for it!
:thumbs: that's exactly what I was going to say
right in the middle and should be enough to satisfy you in the long run
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I want a gixxer 600.....too damn broke though..... :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Nox said:
Thanks for all of your help....

For good or bad, I walked in to the shop to buy a GSX and rode out on a BMW 1100R.... Why you ask? Well, it all boiled down to what kind of riding I wanted to do. The BMW is a lot more comfortable in the long run at the sacrifice of a little speed. I can't see myself doing wheelies at 100 MPH, but I can see myself riding up the California coast this summer.

All in all, I think I've made the right decision for myself, but who knows, I may end up with a superfast Japanese bike as a second addition.

Thanks again...
Sounds like you made a wise decision. You assessed your needs and bought the bike best suited to them.

Since you don't have a lot of experience, I'd highly recommend the MSF course. You can get information on it by calling 1-800-CCRIDER.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Welcome to the world of DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS..lol. I debated this VERY thought when I purchased my first and only bike. GSXR 600 750 or 1000. Knowing that I have self control and I'm now in my 30's, I used the "old fashioned" method of asking current owners of Gixxers. The overwhelming response was, "If I had the chance to buy a bike all over again, it would be the 1000." ..With that being said, I know SEVERAL 600 and 750 owners that are PERFECTLY CONTENT with their bikes and wouldn't consider a 1000. For me, I will swear up and down about my 1000. I hear a lot of owners saying, I wish I just had a little more power. Power comes with ease on the 1000. 600's or 750's make the perfect track bike in my opinion because they are nimble and very rider forgiving. On the 1000, its a little different. It's nimble on a level that is encourging but in the twisties, the 600's or 750's reign supreme. As for BRUTE power, it is hands down, no contest.. the 1000 is both feared and respected by most sportbike riders, whether it be a Suzuki GSXR 1000, Yamaha R1, Kawasaki ZX-10 or a Honda CBR 954RR/1000RR. I gather that you are NOT interested in a ZX-12 (1200cc) or Hayabusa (1300cc). That is a wise choice. Those are heavier bikes and they are not very nimble in the corners. Again, in my opinion, those would not be wise choices for your first bike. However, they are BIG BIKES and are very fast in the straights! It all boils down to this, what are YOU comfortable with? What are YOUR needs? What do YOU truly want to ride? ... Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
I agree officer...too many people say..OH MY GOD, I HAVE TO HAVE A 1000 or a Busa, just because they are the beast rides....when in fact their skill level and/or riding needs dictate a 750. I wouldnt trade my Kat 750 for the world..can quickly hit triple digits whenever I want too,and gives me more than enough exhilaration when pulling up the front wheel. Someday I'll probably go for a 1000, but for the forseeable future, Im more than happy.

Good advice dude!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top