Two Wheel Forums banner

need more advice

12K views 99 replies 18 participants last post by  bulldog 
#1 ·
hey i know i said that i was getting the sv650s for my first bike but the thing is i love the sv1000s the look and style and EVERYTHING about the bike is awsome i will be able to put the down payment on it and pay payments so the price difference isnt that bad but do you think it is to much power ????? i have riden all my life just not on the street so i am asking those of you who have riden is it to much for me or can i handle it ????? i think i can but i dont know , for lack of having experience

thanks

#2 ·
sv100s

is it to big for my first bike? even though i have riden dirtbikes all my life and have taken the MSF course ??? i love the look and im sure i wont get bored of it when i get experienced because of the 996cc sized motor???? do u still think it is too much :willy:

#3 ·
bulldogdefensivetacl said:
is it to big for my first bike? even though i have riden dirtbikes all my life and have taken the MSF course ??? i love the look and im sure i wont get bored of it when i get experienced because of the 996cc sized motor???? do u still think it is too much :willy:
If you have to ask then you dont have to ask :screwy:
70+ post?

#5 ·
Start small. Go to a few schools and track days. After a couple (or more years) when you KNOW you're ready, not just when you THINK you are ready, then you can step up. If you have to ask us, then you aren't ready for the bigger bike. ;) I have had people advise me to get a GSXR 750 instead of a 600, but I have only been on a Katana 600 for a little over a year (although I have a few years worth of experience on motorcycles) and I KNOW the 750 will be too much bike for me.

If you honestly think you are going to want to trade up relatively quickly, then don't buy new. Buy a used bike and save some of your money. Buy the new bike when you have the experience. Get some experience first.

You had also mentioned in one of the other threads that you weren't sure you could afford all the gear. Sounds to me like you should just buy a used bike and spend some money on quality gear. Get the necessary street experience (BIG difference between dirt and street) while you save some money and then buy the new bike when you know you're damn good and ready.

Don't be a squid. :)

#6 ·
im not stupid and wont be a squid but i really want that bike the $$$ thing is just that i have enoghf to make the down payment and some gear ( mom is co signing since im 16) and i have a job to make payments and gas and insurance aint all that expensive plus i have a little college money i can take out too so i am okay on the $$ just really want the bike is the sv1000s a liter bike or just a big (standard) bike

what i meen by that is is it a performance bike or just a standard bike (i know all bikes are dangerus itas just that there is a difference in the R1 and the sv1000s right?? im sure the sv stands no chance but also i cant fing the specs that i am looking for like horespower and rwhp ect. the suzuki website dosent have that idk why

thanks again for your time guys :seeya:

#7 ·
jeeps84 said:
If you have to ask then you dont have to ask :screwy:
70+ post?
:sorry: i dident understand that one bit??????????? :bash:

#8 ·
i have to ask because ive never riden a street bike before and i am just looking for advise

dont be an ass if that is what earlier the thread was about

i am asking because i dont know :dthumb:

#9 ·
No flaming intended! :here:
It seams with that you have been around this forum long enough to know the reply.
I stated in another post of yours, big difference in dirt to street.
Start small & cheep!
250, 500, entry level 600. (ex.SV 650)
find a used one for a couple grand, ride it for a year or so. Sale or trade it for what you really wont.

#10 ·
jeeps84 said:
No flaming intended! :here:
It seams with that you have been around this forum long enough to know the reply.
I stated in another post of yours, big difference in dirt to street.
Start small & cheep!
250, 500, entry level 600. (ex.SV 650)
find a used one for a couple grand, ride it for a year or so. Sale or trade it for what you really wont.
see now what do you meen by entry level 600 ????

and even though i havent made my mind up does anyone know were i can get a lot of info on the bike

#12 ·
When I say entry level, Im saying cheaper and less performance but, still close to others.
Examples; SV 650 vs. GSXR 600
Katana vs. GSXR 600
FZ6 vs. YZF R6
Some model could be geared more towards touring than sport.
More up right riding position.
I consider a standard to be no lower plastic and up right ridding position.

#13 ·
I say it is all about the rider. So people can understand that trouble only comes with no self control and riding outside the riders abilities.

I say go big and grow into it! There is nothing wrong with starting small but the problem is, that you'll always WANT!

#18 ·
Hope this will help you decide... From the Beginner Bikes site

False Logic

On about a three month interval, a whole slew of questions pop up on the BB forum from potential riders trying to convince the community that a 600cc sportbike is a suitable first ride and then proceed to explain to us why they are the exception. I can almost set my clock to this pattern of behavior since it is almost swarm-like. I guess the newbies figure by swamping the forum with the same questions in lots of places we might trip up and endorse such a machine. Hasn't happened yet but they keep on trying.

For those of you that come to Beginner Bikes trying to convince us to endorse a 600cc sportbike, I offer you the following responses to your arguments.

I can only afford to get one bike so it might as be the one that I want.

I don't want to go through the hassle of buying and selling a used bike to learn on.

These two lines of reasoning pop up as one of the more common arguments. I am going to offer first a piece of wisdom which is stated with great regularity on the forums:

This is your first bike, not your last.

Motorcycle riders are reputed to change bikes, on average, once every two to three years. If this is the case (and it appears to be based on my observations), the bike you learn to ride on will not be in your garage in a few years time anyway whether you buy it new or used. You're going to sell it regardless to get something different, newer, more powerful, more comfortable, etc.

Yes, buying a bike involves effort and a financial outlay. Most of us simply cannot afford to drop thousands of dollars on a whim every time we want to try something new. Getting into riding is a serious commitment in time and money and we want the best value out it as much as possible.

However, if you can afford to buy outright or finance a 600cc or up sportbike that costs $7000 on average, you can probably afford to spend $2000 or so on a used bike to learn on. Most of the beginner sportbikes we recommend here (Ninja 250/500, Buell Blast, GS500) can all be found used for between $1500-$3000.

Done properly, buying and selling that first bike is a fairly painless process. Buying a used bike is no harder than buying new. I would argue it is a bit easier. No different than buying a used car from a private seller. If you've done that at least once, you'll know what to do in buying a used bike.

Selling a beginner bike is even easier. You want to know why? Because beginner bikes are constantly in demand (especially Ninja 250s). These bikes spend their lives migrating from one new rider to the next to act as a teaching vehicle. It is not uncommon for a beginner bike to see four or five different owners before it is wrecked or junked. There are a lot of people out there looking for inexpensive, reliable bikes and all of our beginner recommendations fit into that category.

If you buy a used Ninja 250R for $1500, ride it for a season or two, you can be almost guaranteed that you will be able to resell that bike for $1300 or so when you are done with it provided you take care of it. And on a bike like the Ninja 250R, the average turnaround on such a sale is two to three days. No joke. I had five offers on my Ninja 250R within FOUR HOURS of my ad going up on Cycle Trader. I put the bike on hold the same day and sold it four days later to a fellow who drove 500 miles to pick it up. My bike never made it into the print edition. Believe me, the demand is there.

And look at it this way: For those one or two seasons of riding using the above example, excluding maintenance costs which you have no matter what, you will have paid a net cost of $200 to ride that Ninja. That is extremely cheap for what is basically a bike rental for a year or two. Considering it can cost $300 or more just to rent a 600cc sportbike for a weekend (not including the $1500-$2000 security deposit), that is economic value that you simply cannot argue with.
- :leaving:

#19 ·
Bulldogg....your 16. Wanting to get the 1K is just being a SQUID. Start small like everyonme is advising you. Its the best thing to do. We have all been riding for a very long time and some of us longer then you have been alive. So I am going to guess that we have more experience then you and only trying to help you with this.

Best of luck with your choice but we all hope you listen to us. :dthumb:

#20 ·
Gas Man said:
I say it is all about the rider. So people can understand that trouble only comes with no self control and riding outside the riders abilities.

I say go big and grow into it! There is nothing wrong with starting small but the problem is, that you'll always WANT!

Yeah, but wanting is what drives us to get better and improve ourself. :seeya:

#21 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
Yeah, but wanting is what drives us to get better and improve ourself. :seeya:

I agree. Starting big and growing into it is just asking for trouble. He'll have way to much to play with and if hes not ready for it and trys to open it up....then what. We all now what could happen.

I'm saying start small and be smart.

#24 ·
I will agree with the above statements. We know how bad you want the new bike and why. Heck, you like the looks of it and think your friends will too. You want something that nobody has owned before because you can't be sure of it's condition. You think you're getting a great deal at the dealership and you're afraid you won't get this opportunity again. You have the money. But trust us, buy used and save the rest of your money. You will be able to sell it or trade it in at a later date for another bike. As far as the "deal" you're getting at the dealership, there WILL be others. Buy at the end of the month, or at the end of the riding season when they are trying to clear thier inventory. There is nothing wrong with moving up slowly and you most likely won't lose a fortune. They only way you may lose a lot of money is if you wreck it and it's not properly insured. However, you stand to lose more on a new bike if you wreck it. Please, be smart and start small. I'm on my third used bike and it's a Katana 600. I plan to move up to a GSXR 600 either this year or next. There is no shame in starting small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.