Two Wheel Forums banner

New rider from Wisconsin

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
Just stumbled upon this site after researching an upcomming bike purchase. I'm getting an '82 Yamaha Maxim 650. No pics at the moment, but will post some as soon as a I get them.

New rider in general. I've ridden a few times in the past, but never owned a bike personally. If anyone is in the Milwaukee, or more specifically Pewaukee, area, I'd enjoy meeting up and getting a ride in.

Should pick up the bike this weekend. It needs a little work, replace the rear tire, repair the rear seat a bit, and a little paint work on the gas tank (smeared due to gas stain?) ... at any rate, glad to be here!

harryk
:cheers:

#2 ·
harryk said:
Just stumbled upon this site after researching an upcomming bike purchase. I'm getting an '82 Yamaha Maxim 650. No pics at the moment, but will post some as soon as a I get them.

New rider in general. I've ridden a few times in the past, but never owned a bike personally. If anyone is in the Milwaukee, or more specifically Pewaukee, area, I'd enjoy meeting up and getting a ride in.

Should pick up the bike this weekend. It needs a little work, replace the rear tire, repair the rear seat a bit, and a little paint work on the gas tank (smeared due to gas stain?) ... at any rate, glad to be here!

harryk
We are glad your here. About the 82 650, was that a three cylinder like the 850 special? and is your shaft drive. I have more q's to ask but I will wiat to see if your still here in a minute. :cheers:

#3 ·
The drive appears to be belt or chain driven (I honestly don't know) and I plan on being up for a bit. To be completly honest, I just finished convincing the wife that it was a decent investment. I am picking the bike up for a little more than $500, and the intent is to save on gas primarily.

As for the number of cyls on the engine, I'm afraid I don't know that either. ... Did I mention I'm new to bikes :wink:

I'll be sure to ask of the seller tomorrow, any other questions I should inquire about as to the quality and such of the bike?

harryk

#4 ·
A bike is a good investment, fun and will save you gas. Your choise is a good idea to suit the present needs yu discuss and will not be to much to get strted out on. In fact the size and power is perfect. It would not hur to put a little time in a good going over the nuts and bolts for yur security. And if you know sombody who knows somebody that can look over say the brakes and tires. And final drive weather it be a chain or drive shaft or whatnot you can at least hit the road with some security that the bike is solid and road ready once again. TLC and wd-40 go a loing way in bike safety. All in all best of luck with it. And please stick around here at TWF and share you experiences with us and gather all of the info you need to get on your way safely.

#9 ·
kick ass

Well ... its been a few weeks since first I posted, but I finally picked up the bike on Saturday, pictures to come soon.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
~32k miles
new tires (front & rear)

I'll get more details about the bike as I learn them.

One question, apparently when the new rear tire was put on, the rear brake line leaked out a fair amount of fluids. The fluid has been refilled, but there is still no rear brake application when depressed. A buddy drove the bike home for me, and mentioned that it was rideable (sorta) and he was able to down**** and carefully use the front brake in place of the rear.

I'm thinking that due to the leaking line (no leaking now, just at time of replacement of tire) that there is air in the line, or possibly that the fluid is still low. My question, should I attempt to bleed the line myself, or should I take it to a local shop and have them check the brakes?

harryk
almost on the road ...

#10 ·
Earlzach said:
We are glad your here. About the 82 650, was that a three cylinder like the 850 special? and is your shaft drive. I have more q's to ask but I will wiat to see if your still here in a minute. :cheers:
Not sure about the engine size, although its sitting out in the back of my truck, so I can check it. Also, it is shaft driven, which I'm told makes for a smoother, more direct shift than that of a belt or chain driven, I honestly don't know which is true.

What else should I be looking at on the bike? :readng:

#12 ·
I would replace the rear brake lines and bleed them. Brakes are 2nd most important thing on a bike!!! get really familiar with yours!! Get on Ebay and get a Chilton or Haynes manual (I recommend buying both) and start reading them. You can do any minor repair yourself in the beginning, and will soon graduate.

#14 ·
I wanted to ask if it was drum or disk. I didnt remember my dads 850 Special being disk but I didnt want to speek unknowing. I know some sizes were disk like the 1100 but not sure about the 850. Any way if it is drum brake you might be able toadjust it. but the fluid as mentioned would be from the drive shaft. If a seal on your axle has gone bad you could have lube getting over to you drum and wetting your brake pads. If this is the case no adjustment will help. Something about oil on brake shoes dont work. :nonod:

#15 ·
Got the bike home tonight (it's been in the back of my truck since Saturday, heh) ... at any rate, its difficult to determine if the rear brakes are drum or not, but seeing that I cannot see a disc, I will assume it is drum. That being the case I am still learning about the bike.

I started it up this evening, first time since Saturday, idled a little rough, but otherwise good. I spoke to a local shop, and the tech advised that bleeding the rears weren't very difficult, but the way he described it was with rear disc/pad brakes, as he mentioned using c-clamps to collapse the caliper pistons to assist in brake bleeding.

Funny though, he was a little preturbed at the person who R/R the rear tire, because he mentioned that removing the brake line (or whatever) was definately NOT necessary. He was a good guy, told me if I couldn't manage to not make it worse and bring it in to atleast let him look at it, no charge ... good guy really.

At any rate. I'll check it out in more detail tomorrow. I'll get a camera to get some pictures up ASAP.

More to follow... sorry I've been so light on details...

harryk

#18 ·
jeeps84 said:
Is this like your bike?

Or this?
Definately like thsecon bike. I finally bought a camera, and have pictures on my home PC, will get them posted tonight.

I've ridden quite a few times to work and back, but have yet to venture out on any trips, and at this late point in the season, its looking doubtful.

Rode today though to work, was really nice when I left, a little cold on the drive, but nothing horrible.

Its an entirely different sensation when riding. Other riders wave, or low-salute, and you can feel more of the road when riding... a great experience, hands down, and bar none!

harryk

#19 ·
My brother has an 81 850 Special Shaft drive and its rear brake is a drum. He just loves that damn thing. He took out the original 850 with 80K+ and put in a 750. He said it went well, only he had to buy new motor mounts. That 650 should give you YEARS of enjoyment as long as you don't beat the crap out of it...oh and BTW
:nopicsbs:

#23 ·
Thanks Gasman!

So like I said previously, its not the most beautiful bike in the world, and its definately not going to get me any points with the ladies (well... who knows :wink: ) ... but its mine.

A couple of items I plan on working on... the gas tank has been repainted, and it appears that someone used a really ****ty paint, as its bleeding very badly. I also noticed what appears to be a fair amount of rust on the interior of the tank... So as a winter project, I plan on pulling the tank, and having it cleaned, and repainted.

Not sure if you notice, but there is a rip in the back-seat cushin, I plan on replacing that as well. Again, I doubt any of the ladies (especially none from the Babes on Bike gallery) will be throwing themselves at my bike to get a ride, but it definately doesn't hurt to have it look nice.

Am looking for suggestions for paint shops in the Milwaukee, WI area, or at the very least some suggestions on what to look for when finding a paintshop.

Also, I thought about adding some LEDs (green or blue) to the engine compartment. I saw some pictures on ebay that looked kinda nice... and while I know its kinda lame, thought it might look cool ... the few times I ride at night...

Any suggestions, or if you want to slap me upside the head, that'd be good too ...

PEACE!
harryk
:ffedback:

#26 ·
Gas Man said:
Here's Harry's MC...

Hey as long as you're riding on 2 you're cool with me! :dthumb: :cheers:
Thanks GM... I wasn't sure how to properly post them pics in the thread...

Really appreciate the assistance thus far...

I'll start a new thread once I get the tank off, and start cleaning it all up. Still looking for some thoughts on getting the tank cleaned and repainted...

harryk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.