Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to say that this is a very cool place to post. Everyone here seems to be very helpful and honest unlike other forums. :twfrox: I am new to TWF and new to riding. I purchased my first bike a Kaw ZZR 600 and I will pick it up on Friday. I have also purchased leather riding gear and boots. (I am a safety nut). I am registered to take a safety course in the coming weeks. I have some experience riding bikes but that was long ago (Suzuki GS550). So here are my questions:

1) Is the ZZR 600 a good choice?

A few people told me to get an R6 or a GSXR 600 but, I dont have the experience to ride one of those yet so i didnt get one.

2) I pick up on things fast, but how does one change gears on a motorcycle?

I know that first is up and the others are down but can someone explain the process...like clutch, then shift...again its been while so be nice. :help:

My plan is to practice with my bike in a school parking lot near my house prior to going to the course. Turning, stopping, etc..
I dont plan on doing anything other than that until I take the course.

· Registered
24,037 Posts
:welcome: First...I think that bike is a pretty solid choice for a first bike. Who ever told you to get the 600 race-rep is a fool. You made a wise decision. Also, great job on getting the gear, just remember to wear it EVERYTIME you ride.

As for your question about shifting...most bikes are 1 DOWN and the rest UP....opposite of what you said. Now, some may have their tranny's laid out the way you described, but this is mostly something done by the rider (or racer).

The MSF course does a great job of teaching the basics. It is geared towards the total beginner and will provide you with great information and guidance. Remember, the instructors are there to help you.

Good luck and ride safe. :luck:

· V-Twin Moddin
39,300 Posts
:welcome: Dude.... glad you like TWF!

I would strongly suggest you take a MSF coarse and that will put you on the right start and answer most if not all of your riding questions...

· Registered
271 Posts
:welcome:

Good/wise choice on the bike. That bike will serve you well and no need to go bigger on the horsepower. When you can use that one to it's max (most never get there) then you can think about upgrading. Good job on getting into the MSF course. Like Gas said most questions will be answered then. But what to do in the mean time before the course :scratch: parking lot is the way to go. Search on here for MSF course and they will give you an idea of the drills that are gone through. I would recommend working on the clutch friction zone drill, balancing the bike starting and stopping, keeping your head up, and braking using both front and rear brakes. Turns will come with the drills in the course.

Don't stop there though after the course keep on returning to that parking lot to work on those skills. I know there are several of us on here that do that even after many years of riding.

You can go to http://www.sportrider.com/ and type "shifting" in the search box and it will bring up several articles, most were specific to downshifting when I did it.

Up Shifting:

Most bikes are setup to be 1 down and 5 up. A 1 up and 5 down would be a mod to get a GP shifting pattern, typically for racing.

The basic drill is depress clutch and let off gas a little then click up a gear. Then easy the gas on and let out the clutch evenly. It is not an on/off switch it must be metered in and out. This is true for all controls, brakes, throttle, and clutch. You can clutchless up shift but get the basics first and then go from there.

Go slow to start there is no trophy for crashing the fastest. Smooth control operation and bike control will yield a lot more fun down the road.

:luck: and be safe. Wear the gear all the time no matter how hot or how short the trip is.

Rob

· First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,184 Posts
Great choice on a bike, the ZZR6 will definitely get you anywhere you need to go in style, and you will be able to stand it riding all day long.

Sounds like you are definitely heading down the right path, my only other suggestions are to pick up a few books... Twist of the Wrist 2 by Keith Code, Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienastch, Total Control by Lee Parks (I think that is the author).. You can find them online or pick them up at a borders in the transportation/motorcycles section. Lots of great info in all of those books, and a good insight on what the various systems on a bike do, and how they work.

· Registered
56 Posts
:welcome: The Dude! thats a great bike. my buddy has one and he is in love with it. only thing is that it doesnt have a gas light. becuz its fuel pump is external. other than that i have rode it and it is 1 down 5 up like everyone else stated. good luck and be safe move slow and enjoy the ride! :twfrox:

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the tips I truely appreciate and respect what you all have said. I am hoping to learn as much as I can from as many people as possible. I am looking forward to the course, my date is in 3 weeks, I am trying to see if someone cancels so I can get in sooner.

To answer your question ZX636R, the year of my bike is an 06. I know that being new I should go with a used bike but after several used cars that gave me problems I only buy new now unless I know the person. I dont like to get someone elses problems. :twfrox:

· Registered
9,794 Posts
The Dude said:
Thank you all for the tips I truely appreciate and respect what you all have said. I am hoping to learn as much as I can from as many people as possible. I am looking forward to the course, my date is in 3 weeks, I am trying to see if someone cancels so I can get in sooner.

To answer your question ZX636R, the year of my bike is an 06. I know that being new I should go with a used bike but after several used cars that gave me problems I only buy new now unless I know the person. I dont like to get someone elses problems. :twfrox:
I am 1/2 and 1/2 with you on this dude.. I have always bought used vehicles until last year..I've had over 11 used cars some were awesome and some were a maitanence night mare. Buying new is an awesome feeling until you see the bluebook drop like a rock so quickly and the miles you rack up on them so quickly.
Buying a new bike for your first bike I really don't agree with tho. Almost everyone lays their first bike down at some point. I'd recommend buying a slightly used bikefor your sirst one until you get some sattle time and miles on it. There's always great deals on used bikes...ie..people who can't afford the payments/insurance or not really what they wanted... just my :2cents:

· Registered
24,037 Posts
:iagree: I'm in total agreement with SV on this one. If I had to bet I would say you are going to lay this bike down. No disrespect. You might be the worlds safest rider for all we know, but there is a saying...It's not if you go down, but WHEN you go down. Or...there are 2 kinds of riders, one's who have been down and one's who are going down. It might not even be your fault, but beginners often dump the bike.

Again, take things slow and ask questions.

· Registered
61 Posts
Good luck with everything. ZX636 is a handful and dont let anyone tell you differently. A little too much for a beginner if you ask me, but a very sweet bike!! Just be careful, it can get away from you quickly. I'm with SV tho, if you havent bought it already looked at a used bike. Out of the 40+ people I ride with only 2 have not been down in some way.
As a newbie learn to watch your gas!! as someone mentioned before there is no gas light on there. A buddy of mine was running a little low and was on his way to get gas. In the turn the bike stuttered, fell, and he ended up with a busted bike and pins and rods in his wrist.

· V-Twin Moddin
39,300 Posts
marko138 said:
:iagree: I'm in total agreement with SV on this one. If I had to bet I would say you are going to lay this bike down. No disrespect. You might be the worlds safest rider for all we know, but there is a saying...It's not if you go down, but WHEN you go down. Or...there are 2 kinds of riders, one's who have been down and one's who are going down. It might not even be your fault, but beginners often dump the bike.

Again, take things slow and ask questions.
:withstupi on all points!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.