Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. First of all, my name is Chad and I'm a 21 yr old Computer Engineering student at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. I'm also an Air Force ROTC cadet.

Now on to the bike related stuff... Whatever bike I get will be my first street bike, but I rode dirt bikes most of my youth... The three bikes that I'm looking like are the R6, CBR 600 F4i, and a Kawi ZX-6R. What are your opinions on a 600 as a first street bike and which one of the 3 would be the best to start on?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Sit on each bike and feel which on is comfortable to you. Do the research on each bike also. Personally I like the R6. The CBR is cold natured, and I like the looks of the ZX-6R, but its the most uncomfortable sport bike I've ever sat on.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The new ZX636 is real comfortable to me. Followed by the GSXR and R6. The honda is the least comfortable by far! I think the GSXR 600 would inspire the most confidence, too bad it wasnt on your list.

And :welcome:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
600 is a good first bike. Anything less would just piss you off in a few months when you're use to the power. 04 R6 was and still is my first bike and I'm glad I bought it. It's just a matter of you trying to "tets" each model to determine whichR6 one you wantR6. If youR6 have any buddiesR6 that has bikesR6, see if you can try itR6. I think Captain lives near yuR6 and he'll letR6 you ride his bikeR6, which is an R6R6. Holla at himR6.

·
Registered
174 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
600 is a good first bike. Anything less would just piss you off in a few months when you're use to the power. 04 R6 was and still is my first bike and I'm glad I bought it. It's just a matter of you trying to "tets" each model to determine whichR6 one you wantR6. If youR6 have any buddiesR6 that has bikesR6, see if you can try itR6. I think Captain lives near yuR6 and he'll letR6 you ride his bikeR6, which is an R6R6. Holla at himR6.
I could be wrong but i believe he put a sublimenal(spelling) message in that reply.... :crazy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HAHA subliminal messaging?? where??? I didn't get it ;) I tried the GSXR, but felt like I was laying on the tank. I'm only 5'8" and it felt a little too long for me. I went and sat on a ZX6R and the R6 yesterday and like the R6 a little more. Ever since I was in high school and the first R6 came out, it was the bike that I had said I wanted to start out on. One of my professors has a 6R and suggested that I try them out and I liked it. I actually like the styling of the R6 a little better, but the 6R is definately a sharp looking bike!

The response of this forum as to whether a 600 is too big to start on has definately been different than what I've gotten elsewhere. My big thing is I don't want to get a bike, ride it for a season, then have to start the bike search all over again because I'm tired of it.

Thanks for the input guys and please keep it coming!!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Yes, I live quite close to you (just on the other side of town), but no, you can't ride my R6. Sorry, but Gas Man has been known to preach the rule. You don't let anyone ride your bike if you can't have their bike in case they wreck yours. Since you don't have a bike, you can't ride mine. ;)

However, I will try to help you all I can. Personally, I don't think the R6 is a good beginner bike, but that's just my opinion. Yeah, it's a pain to start smaller but it really helps you learn better. Some people will tell you the R6 is a forgiving bike, but I've seen it get mean before. Of course, any of the supersport 600's can be that way. You will hear different things from different people; I just happen to be one of the cautious ones and would advise you to start smaller. Others will say you could start on a 1000 if you have the self control, but most people can't even ride a 600 to it's limits. If you want an R6, I certainly won't stop you, but I will tell you to be careful.

If you do buy a bike and would like to ride sometime, let me know. Just remember one thing: No matter who you're riding with, always ride within YOUR ability, not the rest of the group's ability. You can always meet up with them later or even leave if you aren't comfortable at their pace.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Captain... I am planning on getting a bike sometime next fall or winter depending on how the financial situation is looking... I will definately let you know if I want to get together and ride once I get my bike..

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
wombat7 said:
Thanks Captain... I am planning on getting a bike sometime next fall or winter depending on how the financial situation is looking... I will definately let you know if I want to get together and ride once I get my bike..
get a sv650s and smoke him lol riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
hey, lets not clown on the SV, it is a great bike to start out on, its a little wheelie monster. I've done everything to mine, but its hanging with R6's and honda 919's, and CBR's. It is alot faster then the Triumph TT600.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Oh I love the R6 alot more than the SV, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on it. This guy I bought it from did $4000 in mods, and it only had 5000 miles on it, he just wanted pay off for it so he can buy a new car. I am going with Yamahas R1 next. But as mentioned above it is better to start with a smaller bike like a 600. When I bought my bike in 03 I didn't start out doing wheelies, but a few months down the road I was, and I already wanted a 1000. I will wait till 07 for the R1.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
You're right about thatR6. It's the headlights that hooked you isn't it? Just to let you know if you have low beams on the left side lights up ONLY. The high beams are the right side, so no...you don't have a headlight out. www.highbimmin.com makes a conversion kit so both sides will light up with low and high beams for like 200 bucks. It looks nice.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Damn, Derek. You're already spending Chad's money and he hasn't even bought a bike yet. :lol: This is what I mentioned in the PM, Chad. You can blow a WHOLE lot of money on a brand new bike just trying to make it right. ;) I still haven't finished mine yet and I could easily spend another grand on it. Here is what I've purchased so far:

Slip-on pipe $213 (although I want a full system)
Power Commander $255 (paid for but not arrived yet)
custom map for PC $125 (will arrange as soon as PC arrives)
Solo Cowl $180
SS brake lines $65 (I think that was the price)
Steering damper $380 (which you will WANT if you buy an R6)
Lap Timer w/ USB cable and software $270
New leathers $550 (others were too small with back protector)
back protector $135
New helmet (free with bike)
helmet bag $40
dark smoked shield $35
Woodcraft covers $290
Frame sliders, including clutch slider $120 (a must have)
swingarm slider/spools $15
rear stand $100
flushmount signals $60
integrated taillight $80
mirror block-off plates $12
Engine Ice $17
Pilot Powers $280
Other various parts/supplies $100-150

I'm probably forgetting something

Want to buy soon:
front stand $140-200
aftermarket rear-sets $300-400
Scott's oil filter $108
HighBimmin mod $200
Spare helmet $200

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a bike is just as addicting as auto racing, which I do with my Porsche 944. In the last year I've spent almost that in parts for the car... Oh well... what's another hobby?? ;) lol Thanks for all your help guys and definately keep the information coming..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DLITALIEN you are right... it was the lights that hooked me. I just love the way the bike looks, but the ZX6R isn't bad looking bike either!!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Welcome wombat7...good luck in your bike search. :dthumb:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
wombat7 said:
DLITALIEN you are right... it was the lights that hooked me. I just love the way the bike looks, but the ZX6R isn't bad looking bike either!!
Two big problems with the ZX6R are the windscreen and the tachometer. Because of the shape of the windscreen, air hits you about mid-gut and you have to be in full tuck to see the tach and speedo. And even if the windscreen didn't block half the tach, you can't see it in sunlight anyway because bright light tends to wash out the tach.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts