Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Nice site and it says what alot of us on here have been saying for a long time..."Break it in as you are going to ride it later". Nice find Grafixx01. :dthumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I followed the break in procedure printed on my 250 when I bought it brand new off the crate (PITA, i know) My personal belief is that the manufactures stand by their product and does not want to screw consumers by offering inferior advice or products. Regardless what you believe, I don't think you bike could break down just because of the way you break in your engine (it may or may not break faster though)

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Pretty good info!
I still believe the manufactures suggested break-in, is for customer safety as mush as for the bike. (learn the bike before ripping on it)

I use my own method.
I slowly work up to my riding style for the first 2 or 300 miles with no highway. Then I start ridding more normal but try to reframe from the top of the RPM's until after the 6 mark.
Even if I sneak higher up the RPM's than I want to, I don't worry about it and just enjoy my bike.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Yeah, that an old web page, the only problem with it is there is a whole hell of a lot that needs to be seated and broken in, not just the rings. All this dude's site is worried about is getting the rings to seal. The rings will seal just fine w/o blowing out the rest of your engine. This guy is talking about performance, not getting an engine to last as long as a bike.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Good point POD! This is a endless debate and has been discussed in depth here on TWF and by many riders everywhere!

The whole debate is :2cents: and the bottom line is, that you make the call. It's your bike and your $$$!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts