Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys Its time for a new rear tire. My current tire is a 180-55-17 and I'm wanting to put a 190-50-17 on instead. I have about 1/4 inch between the chain and my 180. DO you guy's think this is going to work. thankx guys flipmo

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
What is the bike, year, and other good info???

Also, what do you plan on getting with the larger tire?

Is it just for the appearance of more rubber out the back?

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
flipmo said:
Hi guys Its time for a new rear tire. My current tire is a 180-55-17 and I'm wanting to put a 190-50-17 on instead. I have about 1/4 inch between the chain and my 180. DO you guy's think this is going to work. thankx guys flipmo

Huumm, i usually go the other way(bigger to smaller), but thats me.

Your bike is going to turn slower and feel fatter. So in short it will make you wish you kept a 180 on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
For drag racing purposes only, you should be OK with a wider tire but I don't recommend it for the street. The real thing you want to look for (assuming you want a larger footprint for more traction) is the profile of the tire. For example, a Continental tire has a much flatter profile which would do well in a straight line. However, if you are looking for traction, you would have to consider the Dunlop 218 GP because it has the softest and stickiest rubber, but it is also expensive.

Larry

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
twisty said:
Huumm, i usually go the other way(bigger to smaller), but thats me.

Your bike is going to turn slower and feel fatter. So in short it will make you wish you kept a 180 on it.
:iagree: but we are just knee dragers.

larryg said:
For drag racing purposes only, you should be OK with a wider tire but I don't recommend it for the street. The real thing you want to look for (assuming you want a larger footprint for more traction) is the profile of the tire. For example, a Continental tire has a much flatter profile which would do well in a straight line. However, if you are looking for traction, you would have to consider the Dunlop 218 GP because it has the softest and stickiest rubber, but it is also expensive.

Larry
:iagree: Larry knows best!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That really still does't answer my question. I have a 1/4 of an inch between the chain and my 180 can I fit a 190. And yes I do ride this bike on the street and have no problems.thanks guys flipmo

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well...you are talking about a tire that is nominally 10mm wider than the one on it. With 25.4mm/inch you would have roughly 1.35mm clearance left on that side...seems kinda close to me but it also doesn't take into account that you are using the same width rim and that will affect how much the wider tire actually sticks out. Of course, that also doesn't take into account that different tire manufacturers have different shoulder designs that affect clearance as well. FWIW, you are talking about a minor increase in width for a potentially major PITA...

Larry

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
:iagree: with Larry, and Twisty. I was going to move up to a 170-60-ZR17 on the SV, but I was told to keep the 160-60 on for better knee dragging. Now that I am at that point, I am so glad I listened to the guys at the shop.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would also take into account that when dragracing you should lower the rear tire air pressure and thats gonna flatten it out a bit more. so i would take that into the equation also.......

if your worried about getting a bigger tire for dragracing purposes...unless your bike has an extended swingarm you really shouldnt have traction problems with a gsxr750...I had a 93 gsxr750 with stock arm and the only problem i had was with the bike wanting to head for the sky, was the hardest bike i ever tried to launch, (that and i had it geared like a baastard, down one in the front sprocket and up 3 in the rear sprocket, which didnt help, but the bike was feeble under the powerband)...it was hard bike to launch and loved to eat clutches, but i never had a traction problem with a stock arm on anything under a 1000 cc's

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I agree with Jack... the gains in the little bit larger tire doesn't out weight the possible PITA!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.