Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals:

Just picked up a 99 Ninja ZX-6R over the weekend. Now need some help getting used to it. Very scary bike (first time ever riding). I did take the PA MSF Course, but they never take you out on the road.

Anybody willing to come down and help me out with riding, would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

Rick
[email protected]

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
We've got some folks on this board in PA, maybe one of 'em will help you out.

Welcome to the sport and the site, you're in for a great ride. :bike:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Hey dude..welcome to a great place!!! and welcome to the world of riding. Congrats on passing the MSF course, thats a great way to get your feet wet into riding. the ZX6 is a sweet ride, and has enough power your average rider, not to mention a beginner. It's only scary because your not used to riding on the road yet, in traffic etc., and its alittle intimidating...once you get on it, and get the feel for it, you'll get used to it. You're training from MSF will kick in when you need it, dont worry.

Im in PA., only about an hour from you or so. Have you ridden it at all yet? Do you have any friends that you can ride with?....we'll see if we can work something out soon to meet up and you get going :cheers: :bike:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually a buddy of mine rode the bike back to my house. I have ridden the bike around the neighborhood once. Problem for me is that I am only 5'4" and am not that comfortable since both of my feet do not touch the ground.

I am contimplating whether to lower the bike, or do something to the seat, to get my feet on the ground.

I live @5 miles from the Rt. 10 & Rt. 30 intersection (Walmart).

I seem to stall a lot and turning is very hard for me. Way different bikes in the MSF course. This ZX-6R is a beast to me!!!

Rick

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Some smaller riders will modify their stock seat by taking out some of the foam padding, lowering it. You'll probably want to adjust the shift lever, brake lever, clutch and front brake as well.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Some smaller riders will modify their stock seat by taking out some of the foam padding, lowering it. You'll probably want to adjust the shift lever, brake lever, clutch and front brake as well.
You can also lower the suspension alittle bit that will help..modifying the seat is a good idea but will take some time to do it by an upholsterer, unless your doing it yourself.

you'll stall out alot when your a new rider, on a new bike..combination of being nervous about being a new rider, getting used to the clutch (especially on hills and at intersections). I'd recommend going to a vacant parking lot somewhere with your friend, or me and my buddies can meet you somewhere and help you out if you want too. You cant be afraid of the bike, or you'll never enjoy yourself. Motorcycles are a great thing, and the best to get where you wanna go..it just takes some practice and just remember to relax...if you tense up, you'll stall even more and make yourself frustrated.

what kind of experience do you have in general in riding motorcycles...have you ridden smaller bikes before, dirtbikes, ATV's etc ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am actually going to try "shaving the seat" myself.
Not really afraid of the bike itself, just the starting/stalling/intersections, I guess just all the basics of being a new rider.

As for experience I have none, just the PA MSF course (@10 hours of riding).

As I said any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

My so-called friends always seem to have something to do when it comes to helping me out....

Rick

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
RG99ZX6R said:
I am actually going to try "shaving the seat" myself.
Not really afraid of the bike itself, just the starting/stalling/intersections, I guess just all the basics of being a new rider.

As for experience I have none, just the PA MSF course (@10 hours of riding).

As I said any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

My so-called friends always seem to have something to do when it comes to helping me out....

Rick
Yeah, its a new experience being on the street..your head has to be on a constant swivel looking out for everything from potholes, and patches of oil and fluids, to animals etc. Glad your willing to give it a go!!! If your free at all on the weekends, like a sunday afternoon or something, I'd be glad to help you out. Drop me a PM if you like, and we'll figure something out.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Hey dude :hi: ..havent seen you around here in awhile..how you making out with the riding ?

PS..I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
yeah..we were supposed too..but it never happened...I sent him a PM to see if he still would like to go.... :bike: :)

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
yeah..we were supposed too..but it never happened...I sent him a PM to see if he still would like to go.... :bike: :)

heck I'll ride. Ask me and were there. :D :thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry guys:

Have been working really hard!!! Got your PM (Need4.....) sent one back. Yes when I had the free time over the weekends I have taken the bike out. Put @600 miles on it in 3 weeks. Still need more seat time for turns, etc. Hopefully I can meet up with some people and start some group riding (slow group riding first!!!!).

Rick
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Whats everybody's schedule like..as far as when you have off work to go for a ride, and see what we can figure out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts