Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I don;t understand the players. It's one thing to hold your ground, but they need to realise that the owners are making more money by NOT playing than they would be if they are playing. ALL NHL owners were losing money. Now they are losing none. If they don't come to some sort of workable agreement soon, I believe it will be the end of the NHL as we know it.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very upsetting. I thought the players made a huge concession offering a 24% reduction in salaries. The union comes back with their salary cap, how predictable.

No new talks planned.

·
4,183 Posts
I heard a good analogy of it on the radio yesterday....

In the past, the owners have had American Express cards. No limits, they spent spent spent spent spent. Now they are all up crap's creek with no paddles. They have admitted it is their fault, but it's too late to change...

What these owners need are Visa cards. A limit. To protect them from themselves! So many owners are so concerned with the "now" that they have no care for what happens in the future. Take Tampa for example, they won the cup last year with a team worth around $32 million, and they were making a small bit of money off it.

Payroll this year for the owner for the same group of guys, no changes, would've been $49 million. The owners cannot handle their own money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Im betting this season doesnt happen, actually a foregone conclusion if you ask me. and it really pi$$es me off. I can't believe these people can't come to some kind of comon ground. The hell with them, I've got my Panthers to watch anyways ! :bash: :rant:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
What a crock!!! Does league even care at all about the prosperity and longevity of the sport and its fans!! DUH!! what a stupid question.. :puke: :upset:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, right. Kind of ironic. The owners want "cost certainty" for the long-term financial shape of the game. That's ASSUMING everyone will embrace teh NHL again and they don't pizz off the fans.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Having a salary cap isnt such a bad idea..it works well in the NFL..it keeps everything in check, and keeps the Kobe Bryants, the Shaq's and the Kevin Garnetts from taking over. It makes you manage your team finances and stability.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I agree. I think a salary cap keeps the league and players/agents in check. Otherwise the potential for all the big city/big money teams to grab every good player and leave the perverbial little guys in the leagues with nothing..is just all to real a possibility...IMO.

:)

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
No Season, no teams, no league, no money. Is either side really going to be better off after this? It took baseball 6 years to recover from their last strike and that was "America's National Pastime". Can this league survive 5 or 6 years without a fan base? The advertisers won't pay big bucks to support a TV package without fans. The NHL may go the way of the USFL and the World football league.

·
4,183 Posts
Its not a strike though, remember that, players would play today if they could. They need the money! Its a lockout, the owners saying no hockey will go on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.