Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 28 years old, recently seperated (working on divorce) and decided a couple of weeks ago, that I want a bike. The last few winters here suck, due to lack of snow (I'm in Minnesota) and my snowmoblie is basically a garage dust collector. I started looking at bikes on the internet and found this place, lots of good info. I narrowed my search to 2 bikes, 1rst choice Yamaha FZ6, 2nd choice, Suzuki SV650S. This would be my first bike, and I don't have an endorsment yet. So I signed up for the MSF Class- last day of April. Before I made my final decision on which bike, I checked out Insurance. Full Coverage with a 500 deductable
Currently I have Gieco. with them the FZ6= $1200 / yr SV650S= $685/ year
Then onto Progessive SV650s= 1430/yr I didn't bother to check the FZ6.

All State FZ6 = $2000 /yr SV650S= $1000/ yr They did say that in the next 6 weeks they are changing there Motorcycle program, and after that it looked like both rates would be cut in half - still $1000 & $500 respectivly

State Farm FZ6 = $297 / yr SV650S = $383/ yr

All of the companies were within $200 of each other to include my 03 F150, so that wasn't much of a differance. I think that State farm is going to be insuring me for now.

Sparkchaser

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Welcome!!

Remember....that most insurance companies want you to insure your car with them to get a good rate on a MC!

And mostly EVERYBODY will tell you that State Farm is the ONLY way to go for MC insurance...

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Watch those tickets and claims! They will boot you with little or no notice!
Did you give your DL# before they gave quote?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did give State Farm my DL number when they gave me the quote, When I was 16, I had 8 tickets the first year of driving, highest was 92 in a 55. I think thats why I have waited this long to get a Bike. I have only one ticket in the last 3 years, and only 2 in the last 8 years, both of those were less then 10 over the limit. Which is a pretty good record, since I have driven about 40,000- 47,000 miles a year, the last 3 years for my Job. (Field service Engineer)

Thanks for the Welcome

Sparkchaser

·
20,168 Posts
I hope you don't drive your owen car that much and if you do don't tell them that.
They give me the boot (Just the bike) :cursin: with a clean record No tickets. One total loss bike.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
yeah, State Farm is bad about dropping people like a hot potato with a ticket or accident. But I guess that's how they keep their rates down, by only insuring "good drivers".

·
20,168 Posts
I gave them another shot at it when I bought the 998. They said they would cover me for some crazy amount because I had a total loss with them like 6 years ago. :cursin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am insured with State Farm. I love them. I had a total loss two years after I started my policy with them and they had me a check with in 1.5 weeks. It was great service. Gas man has also had a few claims with them and has had no problems. State Farm is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I go with State Farm for my bike.. I pay like $240 a year for a 2000 R6 so that is not bad.. Progressive was like $1,500 or some crazy number - I said I don't want a bike payment, as I paid cash for the bike, I just want insurance damnit. State Farm to the rescue. Of course I found cheaper insurance for my car so I go that route but State Farm still covers the bike.. I am hoping they give me as good of a rate when I buy an R1... Of course like 5 years ago I had 3 bikes and my agent called and said um, MP (well he didn't say MP because 1. MP was not spawned yet and 2. I am not insured under MP), you CANNOT insure 3 bikes with us - you are too big of a risk (little did they know.. lol) - So I had to sell one of them to make them happy..

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
yeah, State Farm is bad about dropping people like a hot potato with a ticket or accident. But I guess that's how they keep their rates down, by only insuring "good drivers".
I totalled a car with them, they never dropped me. I had higher rates for three years or something, but that was it.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Pretty much everybody here will give you good props on SF!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm also with state farm...nothing but good dealings so far :dthumb:

And welcome, let me also say the FZ6 is a great bike. Had mine since Aug and love it, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to give you answers/opinions.
:twfrox:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts