Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 ZX6R calls for 10w40. The average air temps I will see are between 84-94 degrees F. Is this what everone recommends, or should I try something a little different? Also what are everyone's thought's on the best milage to switch to full synthetic, or should I?

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
I put Pennz 10W40 in the bee...just make sure it does not say energy conserving on the label...look on the back for the circle with the grade letters and numbers. Of course, I change my oil every 6 weeks...probably why it is having open head surgery today...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
If you're concerned about it...go with full sync. I suggest Amsoil but that's just my :2cents:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When is the best time to switch to a synthetic? I want to make sure that I don't mess with the break in process. So I guess the standard 10w40 would be the best thing to go with, and not a 20w40, or a 10w50 per-say?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Stay with the 10w-40 because your motor is designed for that and the passages are designed for that weight oil as well. I would definately stick with convential thru at least a few thousand miles...but this is a question of the ages!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Like I said a few thousand miles... I didn't use it on my 9R until like 6 or 7 thousand!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'll be changing over to Amsoil at my next oil change. I currently have 3400 miles on the clock. I anticipate my next oil change at about 4700. Also, they now carry Amsoil at Murray's auto parts but better pricing can be had online.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
At Murray's? Really? Even the MC version of the oil? Which is very important!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts