Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that once you put synthetic in you can't put conventional oil in it ever again. How much truth is behind this and why can't you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
This is another one of those fuzzy areas.And i'll defer to larry..................
Although i personally like to stick with one oil and not vary it in any way.. :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
i heard that also .....it's that coventional Oil will not coat your engine parts because of the chemical reaction to the sythetic....like oil to water then don't mix.........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,654 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
GSXR750MKE said:
i heard that also .....it's that coventional Oil will not coat your engine parts because of the chemical reaction to the sythetic....like oil to water then don't mix.........
Nope. You can even buy conventional/synthetic mixtures (Usually called "Semi-Synthetic"). "Synthetic" motor oil is actually not pure synthetic (at least, not the stuff you normally buy at pep-boys - Mobil 1, Castrol, etc). It's actually derived from conventional oil. A pure synthetic oil wouldn't mix with a conventional.

You are always better sticking with whatever you choose to run. Most people wouldn't ever have a problem if they switched back and forth, but there is a tiny, slim chance problems can occur especially in an motor with a lot of miles on it (the way internal parts wear is effected by the oil type on the microscopic level).

- Roach
- SpeedWerks.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Everyone has an opinion and only 1 can be right. :2cents: following from mototune~
"while about 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running the engine,
the last 20% of the process takes a longer time. Street riding isn't a controlled environment, so most of the mileage may
not be in "ring loading mode". Synthetic oil is so slippery that it actually "arrests" the break in process before the rings can seal completely. I've had a few customers who switched to synthetic oil too soon, and the rings never sealed properly no matter how hard they rode. Taking a new engine apart to re - ring it is the last thing anyone wants to do, so I recommend a lot
of mileage before switching to synthetic. It's really a "better safe than sorry" situation."

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm :bthorse:
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
I always use the same oil in a motor after break-in.
I might use a 1,2,3 step depending on what came from the factory.
1. factory oil ( break in)
2. semi-synthetic (first service)
3. full Synthetic (2ed. service and on)

I don't know if its true but, that's the way I was told to do it.
keeps the wet clutch happy.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
Nope. You can even buy conventional/synthetic mixtures (Usually called "Semi-Synthetic"). "Synthetic" motor oil is actually not pure synthetic (at least, not the stuff you normally buy at pep-boys - Mobil 1, Castrol, etc). It's actually derived from conventional oil. A pure synthetic oil wouldn't mix with a conventional.

You are always better sticking with whatever you choose to run. Most people wouldn't ever have a problem if they switched back and forth, but there is a tiny, slim chance problems can occur especially in an motor with a lot of miles on it (the way internal parts wear is effected by the oil type on the microscopic level).

- Roach
- SpeedWerks.com
Everything else is mostly right... but Amsoil prides themselves in making their synthetic oil from all synthetics!! they say that's why it holds up better!!!

As far as the original question... answer this one for me...

Chicken or the egg? :D
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Maybe but you get my point!
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
I've heard that once you put synthetic in you can't put conventional oil in it ever again. How much truth is behind this and why can't you?
Why would you or anybody want to?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,078 Posts
mp where do u get this stuff at?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,078 Posts
very good site!!!! i will spedn the whole dam day reading it but it is very good!! lol
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top