Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after all my years of riding hard especially the past two years I've never been down. Well I was at the gap this weekend and I had a slight crash.

I was following my friend on his 04 R6 to the Cherohola Skyway and he missed his turn so he slammed on his breaks and leaned into my path of the lane, there was nothing i could do, the roads were wet from mountain rain. I could either smash into the rear of his R6 at 40 MPH or go off the road, I chose to go off the road it didn't look that bad :lol: anyway I went off the road launched in the air off a small pile of gravel which launched me and the bike into the air, then I landed and the small hill of the ditch collapsed when landed me and the bike on the left side. The bike was covered in grass and mud.

We got the bike up and on the road to look it over to see the damage. Luckly there was no major damage!! I have a small scuff I can probably buff out on the tank, and the rear fairing has some bad scuffs that ate the paint. Where the paint is custom marbalized it will never match so I'm going to get the entire bike re-painted!!! :dthumb: I somehow bent the right side of the handle bar up, it was so un-natural to ride like that so I rode down to Wheelers and bought a new bar, while he was at it I had him replace the chain also that damn thing kept sagging, and I had just tightend it right before we headed out in the morning. What do ya expect 17,000 mile original chain. It ran me $214. for new bars, new chain, new Kevlar gloves, and labor. I didn't get hurt at all, no road rash, no burns nothing! Maybe the accident was my fault for following to close I don't know, but he just slammed on his breaks, not much I could do, if I ran into him we would have both been hurt, and both bike would have been f'd up pretty good. I will have to post the pics of my damage tomorrow afternoon sometime, its really not bad. I guess I can consider it my first wreck, but I was still on the bike when I landed :lol: I even hit the killswitch when I landed.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
That sucks man. I'm sorry to hear that you went down. It's not good when anyone goes down cause it's like expensive to replace stuff and fix the things that go wrong.

I think I"m gonna look into getting like extra plastics and tyres so that if anything happens, at least I have them. Plus I want to do some track days / track time so I know I'll need that stuff!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
No Worries said:
Avoiding a sure collision is the best thing. And you were able to ride away.

:iagree: , don't be like me and punch out a window on a car when you get pushed out of your lane into on-coming traffic. Cops don't like when you do that.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
:sorry: to hear about the get off.
If you can walk away it will be alright.
If you can ride away it will be alright that much sooner. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with everyone, it is so much better to ride away with out a scratch on myself. I have xtra rear fairings and a gas tank just incase I ever damaged those parts, luckly I don't have to use them just yet. THe best part is I didn't let the wreck phase me one bit, if anything I rode even harder after the wreck. I am working on getting off the bike a little more in the tight curves. I remember last year people would pass me on the dragon with their knees dragging and off the bike, well I am one of those guys now! I had some fast riders behind me and when we got to the outlook I asked them what I could work on, they said I am keeping an excellent line and I was going so fast they wouldn't be able to pass me at all, they just said I could get off the bike a little more than what I was doing.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
SV...glad to hear all is well. Wheelers is a awesome place... that is a GREAT shop. $217 is nuttin to get back on the road. And if you were able to ride away then the down was ok, in my book.

The root of the problem is just as you said....following too close. There are only a few people that I will follow close to. Others, I just prefer to give them some distance. If I'm not confident in how they can handle a situation in mid-corner and full lean then I give them more space. It's also why I don't like people on my tail real close when going fast.

Glad to hear you're all right...a few scratchs is nothing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bird Glad your ok. Just remember dont get to confident on us. Dont wnt you gettin hurt.
On a side note: since you finally laid it down you have to come back to KY and ride with the group again...before u fix it. That way you match the rest of us that decided to take a spill this year. :bonk:

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KatanaMan said:
Bird Glad your ok. Just remember dont get to confident on us. Dont wnt you gettin hurt.
On a side note: since you finally laid it down you have to come back to KY and ride with the group again...before u fix it. That way you match the rest of us that decided to take a spill this year. :bonk:
Yes chad, all you guys in the group took a spill for riding beyond your limits, or not knowing what your doing, my spill was just one of those things like someone turning in front of you, or something in the road and no where to go, yes I agree I should have been farther behing him. I may be back July 4th weekend, but I would like to have it fixed by then, but knowing my painter he wouldn't have it done in time.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SV Damage pics

Here's the pics of the damage to my SV, also there is a pic of the new handle bars, I have already shortend the bars (they were too long) oh and please don't :whore: up this thread.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Damn dude, that could have been alot worse.. glad u and ur ride are ok. Let's just hope you're little run of bad luck there doesnt rub off on the rest of us going down there next month ;)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Ya man..that ain't crap!! You got off easy!! Good goin!

Nice grips by the way! I take it that your bike use to be red...

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gas Man said:
Ya man..that ain't crap!! You got off easy!! Good goin!

Nice grips by the way! I take it that your bike use to be red...
Yup the bike was red, how'd ya guess? I hated red but couldn't pass up the deal so I bought it. The color can always be changed!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
On the tail section that was scratched...the red is showing thru!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts