Two Wheel Forums banner

Passenger Skill

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  r6dirtydave 
#1 ·
:redmc:

How many times have you had a passenger on the back of your bike that made riding dangerous?

A passenger that tried to lean the opposite way thru a corner and tell you that they thought they were going to fall off. You tell them that if they keep that shiet up they will...

Or a passenger that leans in too early...

Most passengers don't realize, and maybe it's a good thing, that they really can F up the operation of that MC!

What about going fast or stuntin with passengers...

Let's here the stories... :dthumb:

#3 ·
One I was playing wingman for one of my buddies (partime) and I had to take this big chick for a ride and I was doing a michigan left and almost lost the bike. And then I went to pickup this chick I was dating at the time. And she comes out in a mini skirt, after that night I have taken the rear pegs off all my bike. Now my girl rides her own bike so I dont have to worry about it.

#4 ·
CJD is a great passenger...I have Zero worries with her on the back. She knows that its exactly the smartest thing to do, to lean way down and drag me with her !!! Sometimes I almost forget she's behind me its that comfortable.

Now my sister-in-law's friend, thats a different story, I gave alittle lesson the first time I took on the back, and what did she do?? Absolutely none of it..she tried leaning way to far, she had her hands on my shoulders digging those fake nails right thru my jacket, and she was resting her boot on my exhaust, and it took me 20 minutes to get the mark off!! That ride lasted about a whole 10 minutes, and was the last!

#6 ·
It took my wife a little time to get used to the change from the big padded seat and backrest on the cruiser to the small seat and high stance of the FZ but she is pretty good back there now. I mentioned one day that she was getting good at knowing when to lean and she said she doesn't, she just lets it happen and feels where she needs to be in comparison with me. She has learned that when I tap her hands she leans forward a bit cause she knows I'm about to get into it.

But honestly I'm still trying to talk her into learning to ride my other bike so I can stay solo...but no luck so far.

#7 ·
fatburg said:
I mentioned one day that she was getting good at knowing when to lean and she said she doesn't, she just lets it happen and feels where she needs to be in comparison with me. She has learned that when I tap her hands she leans forward a bit cause she knows I'm about to get into it.

But honestly I'm still trying to talk her into learning to ride my other bike so I can stay solo...but no luck so far.
thats the key, u know they are a pretty good passenger when they know how to follow your lead on a bike, and it come natural to them.

missy and i have a system as well, if she sees a cop, she taps me, etc...we almost dont even need the signals anymore, she knows when im about to get on it, just by my body language.

#8 ·
twisty said:
I took the lady who lives down the street on pippi's bike and I got pulled over... I was like come office she is huge and I just want to got home. So he felt sorry for me and let me go...true story...
Why haven't you took that hott young and hott chick on a ride yet?? :lol:

But I must say that if your going to ride a passenger all the time, like I do with my wife. Get a chatterbox and wire her helmet so that she can plug into my chatterbox and we can talk. No signals just plain old talking.

But I take my wife anywhere on the bike. Once or twice at 130 - 140. I've even taken her thru the twisties. But just to expierence it herself. Normally I don't take her to any of those. I actually ride pretty cool with her on back...

#9 ·
I hate taking other guys for a ride. First of all, they sit on the extreme rear of the seat which messes with handling. They hold on to the rail anticipating or resisting turns. And the worst thing is, because they are far away and because of the dished-out seat, they hump you when you brake hard, and push you into the tank. We have to readjust ourselves after every stop.

I don't mind taking women passengers. At least they ride close to me. I have them hold tight on to me or put their hands on the tank, so they move with the bike instead of against it. And if I brake hard, since they are already close to me, only their helmet hits against mine.

But I know that I myself am a terrible passenger. I anticipate curves and I critique other's riding, even if I don't tell them. Plus, for liability and performance reasons I really don't like taking anyone else as a passenger.

#10 ·
fatburg said:
Keep trying...I started my wife on a honda cb 350 until she learned how to keep the bars upright. She has a lot more fun now riding her own bike...of course we have to wait for her at the stop signs.........

#11 ·
OMG - I have taken a passenger once - a 14 year old kid, neighbor of my sisters, who weighed more than me - It was a nightmare! I do not take passengers, as No Worries said "performance and liabilities" and I can't seem to find any that dont weigh more than me. When I rode that kid it was like his weight was the only thing the bike felt and was responding too. I have passenger pegs on my bike but thats only for me if Twisty & I need to 2up for some reason.

Sadly, just about 3 weeks ago a 19 year old kid on a gsxr had a female 17 year old passenger (senior in high school), they went down, he made it , she didnt. I can't imagine living with that the rest of my life.

#13 ·
I have had quite a few passengers.... the ones that can just sit still are fine... after a bit you don't even notice they are there... ITs the ones that cant freakin sit still for the life of em that mess me up! I swear, some people seem like they are dancin back there, and mostly in the corners! Usually those are the ones that get dropped off after a quick trip around the block.

#14 ·
Pippi said:
Sadly, just about 3 weeks ago a 19 year old kid on a gsxr had a female 17 year old passenger (senior in high school), they went down, he made it , she didnt. I can't imagine living with that the rest of my life.
I hate to see that.. I dont know the circumstances behind it, but being on 19, he obviously didnt have much road experience. Riding with passengers can be so dangerous when you ur still learning the ropes urself..:nonod:

#15 ·
Pippi said:
OMG - I have taken a passenger once - a 14 year old kid, neighbor of my sisters, who weighed more than me - It was a nightmare! I do not take passengers, as No Worries said "performance and liabilities" and I can't seem to find any that dont weigh more than me. When I rode that kid it was like his weight was the only thing the bike felt and was responding too. I have passenger pegs on my bike but thats only for me if Twisty & I need to 2up for some reason.

If I ever was going to ride beotch you would be my first choice of driver Pipster :D

But I never will so its not an issue.

My fiancee rides on back sometimes and the first time she did I told her here are the rules:

1. Do not put your feet down until I say to - not at a light - Not until I tell you

2. Don't lean one way or another - I will lean and turn the bike

3. Break the rules and you are walking

She is a good passenger and follows the Mudpuppy code of conduct.. Other than her I refuse to take passengers unless it is a dire situation such as another rider's bike dies or something...

#19 ·
I had one a couple months back that was so bad I actually stopped the bike to tell her to STOP LEANING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!!!!!!! I was pissed. She actually did rather well after that and turned out to be a decent passenger for the rest of the ride. Don't know if she retained any of that info because I've never taken her, or anyone else for that matter, for a ride. I'd prefer to ride solo.

#20 ·
double2000r6 said:
No took 1/2 a day to take the kids and my sorry arse to the Dentist and vote... So I am at the crib getting ready for bowling...
oh god ..the dentist..I hate that place with a passion.. Definately good to have you back on again MP.

Captain..yeah sometimes it takes pulling over and telling a passenger to straighten up and fly right...sometimes the ignorance of lack of riding takes over and u have to pound some sense into them when they didnt listen in the first place!!!

#21 ·
No horror stories here, and I ride quite a bit 2 up..., my ex was awesome, leaned hard with me becaue she new I'd have to gas it to stay upright - she loved it! Well, except the time I got sick of her whining to go faster..., in which case I positioned myself for a full lean, and when my shoe dragged, I hear a screech..., followed by an absurdly strong shot to the kidney..., but I still laughed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.