Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know?

I rcv'd an e-mail stating I purchased something on e-bay, which I did not. ($67)

I signed up for an e-bay account several months ago, (never used it) ....does that automatically give you a paypal account too? :skep:

Also, if charged to my credit card, can I dispute payment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was thru hotmail. And I had signed up with a different e-mail account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
It didn't mean that in the past... It you didn't supply a Credit or Bank account number, then you should not have a pay pal account... It could just be a type-o in the e-mail address.. and you got it by mistake

Plus it could be a scam...:skep:

- :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Low said:
It didn't mean that in the past... It you didn't supply a Credit or Bank account number, then you should not have a pay pal account... It could just be a type-o in the e-mail address.. and you got it by mistake

- :2cents:
YEah, I originally gave them my cc #, but I've never used it.

I hope your right....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Well I would log onto your ebay account, make sure nothing else was purchased and change your password. As Low said, unless you entered cc info then you shouldnt have a paypal account automatically. Someone may have hijacked your account. I would dispute it with ebay and the cc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Does it give you any CC info such as the last 4 numbers of the card?? And if so, are they your numbers? If not, then you have nothing to worry about. I got several emails around x-mas with things I bought from HSN. I have never been to the site nor watched it on tv. They cave me a copy of what I bought and the last 4 CC numbers. Were not mine so I just deleted the email and paid no mind to it. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pippi said:
Well I would log onto your ebay account, make sure nothing else was purchased and change your password. As Low said, unless you entered cc info then you shouldnt have a paypal account automatically. Someone may have hijacked your account. I would dispute it with ebay and the cc.
Thanks Pippi, :thumbs: I'll do that....can't do it at work.
I am suspicious because I signed up thru a home e-mail account and I r'cvd this at work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
If you never created a paypal account, then you don't have one. If you don't have one, it's more than likely a phishing scam.

To create a paypal account you have to go through a process where they hit your bank account with a couple $.02 transactions, and you have to verify them, etc, etc ... it'd be pretty hard to forget you'd done it.

- Brian Roach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
If you never created a paypal account, then you don't have one. If you don't have one, it's more than likely a phishing scam.

To create a paypal account you have to go through a process where they hit your bank account with a couple $.02 transactions, and you have to verify them, etc, etc ... it'd be pretty hard to forget you'd done it.

- Brian Roach
Ahhh, thank you very much Brian. :thumbs: No, I gave e-bay a credit card # when I initially joined, but no, I never did anything with paypal or have I purchased anything from e-bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
ebay and paypal are 2 of the biggest ways for hackers to try and phish your info from you. they can make the emails look really legit to an untrained eye, so be careful !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
You probably had to give ebay a CC number so that they can automatically bill you for ebay fees when you sell something. The best way to find out for sure is to go to ebay and see if there is anything in your "my ebay" under items won. If not, then it was either a scam trying to get info, or it was a mistaken e-mail. Also, did the e-mail give you a link to click on to submit info? If so, then it's a scam. Look at where the "link" says it's from, then look at the actually properties of the link. I'm constantly getting crap from "Pay Pal" that says I have "added [email protected] to my paypal account." If I "did not authorize this e-mail address, please go to (a link that appears to be from paypal.com) and update my information. The link actually says, "paypal.com", but by checking the properties, I can see that the link is actually taking me somewhere else. If you click on the link, it even LOOKS like the paypal site, but it's not. So be careful. If you ever get a link asking you to go to ebay, paypal, or even some CC company and enter information, NEVER use the link sent in the e-mail. Go directly to the site through your browser and check on your account that way. 99.99% of the time, you'll notice that nothing is different with your account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Captain Morgan said:
You probably had to give ebay a CC number so that they can automatically bill you for ebay fees when you sell something. The best way to find out for sure is to go to ebay and see if there is anything in your "my ebay" under items won. If not, then it was either a scam trying to get info, or it was a mistaken e-mail. Also, did the e-mail give you a link to click on to submit info? If so, then it's a scam. Look at where the "link" says it's from, then look at the actually properties of the link. I'm constantly getting crap from "Pay Pal" that says I have "added [email protected] to my paypal account." If I "did not authorize this e-mail address, please go to (a link that appears to be from paypal.com) and update my information. The link actually says, "paypal.com", but by checking the properties, I can see that the link is actually taking me somewhere else. If you click on the link, it even LOOKS like the paypal site, but it's not. So be careful. If you ever get a link asking you to go to ebay, paypal, or even some CC company and enter information, NEVER use the link sent in the e-mail. Go directly to the site through your browser and check on your account that way. 99.99% of the time, you'll notice that nothing is different with your account.
Thanks Capt. :thumbs: thats good info... I will do that tonite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
2FURYUS said:
Ahhh, thank you very much Brian. :thumbs: No, I gave e-bay a credit card # when I initially joined, but no, I never did anything with paypal or have I purchased anything from e-bay.
I'd double-check your eBay account though and make sure someone isn't using it to buy things - if you got an actual email from eBay saying you'd won an auction (do NOT click on any links in that email, it could be a phishing email - go to eBay.com and log in).

And clear your CC info from your account. They don't need it if you're not selling things on eBay.

- Roach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
I'd double-check your eBay account though and make sure someone isn't using it to buy things - if you got an actual email from eBay saying you'd won an auction (do NOT click on any links in that email, it could be a phishing email - go to eBay.com and log in).

And clear your CC info from your account. They don't need it if you're not selling things on eBay.

- Roach
Thanks.... that's a definite too. :thumbs:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
It looks like everybody has helped you out on this one....

BE CAREFULL!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
I can look into this for you if you would like. Trace it back and see if its fraud. All I will need from you is:
Full Name
Address
SS #
Mothers Maiden name

Yep, thats all. LOL :luck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
2FURYUS said:
Does anyone know?

I rcv'd an e-mail stating I purchased something on e-bay, which I did not. ($67)

I signed up for an e-bay account several months ago, (never used it) ....does that automatically give you a paypal account too? :skep:

Also, if charged to my credit card, can I dispute payment?
SOunds to me like it has nothing to do with YOUR paypal account. SOunds like someone sent you a bill from their paypal account trying to scam you out of money.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top