Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been putting off this experiment for a long time. I added a prismatic additive to mirror black and powdercoated the passenger peg brackets on my CBR600. Just came out of the oven, and I think it looks really cool. The flash on the camera exaggerates the effect.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah I've seen a buddy of mine do that with his car exhaust manifold but nothing like that... he didn't use anything that fabulous!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not really difficult. And once you have done it, you'll be hooked.

I got a powdercoating starter kit from Eastwood (Eastwood.com). The starter kit (PN 10198) as around $100. They have about 100 different colors including hi-temp, textures, transulcents, iridescent. You need a small air-compressor, 5-10 psi. and an oven. I use an old toaster oven for small parts. The brackets, were a little too big for the toaster oven, so I used the house oven.

The gun uses an electro-static charge to attract the powder to the part:

You first attach an electode to the part.
  1. Clean the part
  2. Suspend the part. I use safety wire for small parts. For this I made a metal assembly to hold the brackets.
  3. Attach compressor pre-regulated to 5-10 psi to gun.
  4. Attach gun to part with electrode.
  5. spray away, gun makes a cloud of powder which is statically attracted to part.
  6. cook in oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Advantages:
  • Super strong finish
  • mostly non-toxic no solvents to mess with
  • clean up with broom and wet paper towels

Disadvantages:
  • More expensive than conventional paint to get started ($100)
  • Conductive metal only that can withstand 400 degrees (excludes pot metal)
  • For really big items that won't fit into oven, you need a $500 infrared lamp

Attached is the mess I made this morning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention that to make the sparkles, I added prism additive (pn 10177) to mirror black (pn 10161). At a 40:1 ratio of black to additive.

BTW the chrome is AWESOME!

Also, I am in no way affiliated with Eastwood or Hotcoat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to their directions, electric.

I believe the underlying motivation for electric -vs- gas is the possibility of an explosion, since there is are some fumes that come off. They also recommend not using an oven that is used for food. My uneducated guess is those are CYA type statements.

On the other hand, powder is basically expanding the surface are to infinity which in itself could explode when exposed to flames. Anyone ever make household flour explode? I have (I am a deviate).

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
Gas or electric stove?
Good question there Twisty!

That sucks though... my stove is gas!! :bonk:

Gas Man likes his stove to be power by gas... DUH!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
$100 is way cheaper than the kit i was looking at, makes it all seem much more accessable. Dow many parts did you mess up learning?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JK Dilla,

I have yet to really screw up a part.

The first time I used it, I was "restoring" an old friend. I used black, chrome, and translucent majenta. I wish I had not done the majenta, but just good ole fire engine red. But it came out perfect. I personally think that powder coating is easier than painting in many regards. Attaching some of my paint work. Everything under the hood I painted, except for the metal flag logos on the middle of the fuel rail covers.

Problems I have run into:
  • Occasionally the parts fall off their mount. or move and hit the oven wall. Repairable.
  • Missed or undercoated parts can be re-applied. But sometimes, it I have had a rough finish as a result.

Perhaps not obvious, but trash in the finish, can be buffed out, but I am not that anal. And it is only noticible on really glossy and smooth part.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
WOW Carl...that looks GREAT!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
JK_DILLA said:
Its hard to see, but is that painted carbon fiber? Or is the pic playing tricks on me.
Good question!
I over looked the air intake the first time!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JK Dilla,

Dooh, at first I thought you were talking about the powdered pieces. :bash:

On the corvette, the air bridge and the intake manifold cover is red kevlar and carbon fiber weave. :cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whew, productive weekend. Amazing what one can acccomplish when you dont have to do a day job. :cheers: Actually took care of both kids, did a oil/filter/plugs/tire rotation on the wifes car. Cooked a few great meals...

Ok, I didn't get any riding in, but I did use up 10 tbsp of black powder. Total cost for powdering up the pegs was less than $5.00

:dthumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts