Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a 520 conversion 2 weeks ago, I live in Ohio so the weather just finally broke this past week. I have taken my 6 out 2 times this past week and I have noticed that my chain slaps really really bad when I am riding. The top of the chain tracks fine, but the bottom half of the chain slaps up and down pretty bad. I put my bike on my rear stand and measured the chain, i have 1.2 inches of slack, which is in spec. BUT, when i roll the wheel forward a few inches the chain tightens to 1/2 inch, i roll the wheel forward more and it slacks back to spec, then i roll it forward and it goes back to 1/2 inch. There must be some tight spots on the chain, my question is this, Is the chain ruined and I need a new one? Or is there a way to loosen the chains tight spots? The chain is brand new, its an RK Chain XSO520 gold. Any help would be appreciated please.... :cursin:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
That chain is plenty strong, unless you rip it all the time. (hard clutch wheelies)
My guess is the wheel is out of line.
Check your alignment marks at the axel to make sure there equal. :2cents:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Vortex front and rear sprocket. I bought a set, the chain and sprockets. Its wierd, I counted on both sides and the marks in the swingarm are the same distance. when i put it on the rear stand and put it in gear and watch the tracking of the chain, there is no wobble or any unusal tracking issues I can see, I look at the chain from behind the bike, but when I look at the bike from the side watching the chain go around, i see the chain shake up and down in certain spots, if i give the bike gas, the chain shakes in spots faster obviously

·
20,168 Posts
If the alignment marks are right then you defiantly have another problem.
Just tossing ideas at you.
Did you torque the sprocket nut's correctly? (it may be lose)
Is the front sprocket mounted correctly? (backwards, or with all spacers and washers.)
Are all spacers in the rear wheel? (and on right side)
Are the cush drive bushings still good?
Could be a bad chain.
Check it all before you buy new chain. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
twisty said:
Yeah it sounds like the wheel is not lined up.
The alignment marks on the swingarm keep the wheel from being cocked left or right. But the whole wheel could be shifted left or right. The spacers on the left and right side could have been swaped, which would shift the wheel to one side even if the alignment marks on the swingarm are correct. Hold a straight edge along the teeth of the front sprocket and along the teeth of the rear sprocket to see if they are in line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for giving me suggestions. The chain was full of this white waxy looking sh&^%t, very hard to get off your hands and anything esle you get it on!!!...I just spoke with the place I bought the kit from and he said they had a bad batch of rear sprockets from Vortex and if my sprocket has the same part number as the bad batch, he will send it out tomorrow. Would a bad sprocket cause that binding issue?...

·
20,168 Posts
badboys21 said:
thank you all for giving me suggestions. The chain was full of this white waxy looking sh&^%t, very hard to get off your hands and anything esle you get it on!!!...I just spoke with the place I bought the kit from and he said they had a bad batch of rear sprockets from Vortex and if my sprocket has the same part number as the bad batch, he will send it out tomorrow. Would a bad sprocket cause that binding issue?...
If its not true around! ( warped or bad cut on the teeth)

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
badboys21 said:

That white stuff it lithium grease.... :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Man alot of good info there boys!!!

Lithium grease is good!

Bad sprockets are BAD!!

Jeeps is on the ball with this one!!!

No Worries busted out some good advice!!!!

Oh and WELCOME!!!!!

:twfrox:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
man now you gotta say somethign was wrong with the sporcket, i just put on a vortex front and rear and a gold 520xso chaing, if my shiot is doing what urs is doing, this guy is gonna flip his lid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i called the company that sold me the kit and yeps, the rear sprocket is bad, out of round..they will be sending me another one, thank you all for your input, its nice to know if there is a problem, people out here do help out!! Thank you!!...i wont be able to ride and it sucks cause i have a ride scheduled for sunday, oh well, wont be the last one, its just the first one of the season with the group!!..I could ride bitch, let me think...NAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Hey man...it's good to help... even though it turns out it was just a bad sprocket....

Stick around and :whore: it up!!! Because you know.... :twfrox:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts