Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It figures he works for the government, At least he doesn't teach Economics...

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Zamir Bavel is spending a lot of money to fight a $45 speeding ticket.

The University of Kansas computer science professor says there's a principle at stake. So far, he's dropped about $1,000 contesting the ticket.

He objects to the fact that officers in Lawrence and Larned, Kan., aren't required to take any special classes in operating the radar speed guns.

Such classes are recommended by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration but are not required by law.

Bavel contends the speed gun that nabbed him may not have been operated correctly.

His trial in district court was scheduled to continue Monday. He said he'll take his speeding case all the way to the Kansas Supreme Court if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
WOW I would have paid the $45 bill and let it drop. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Sounds like an idiot that rented from us a couple years ago. When he moved, he left his son to clean the place, but his son just packed up his stuff and left. They had burned holes in the vinyl and the whole place needed to be cleaned and painted. We kept the deposit and charged them a few hundred extra. The guy said our charges were unreasonable and that he would accept a deduction of $200 from his deposit but he wanted the rest back. However, when someone moves in, we have them sign a list of charges that will be deducted from their deposit if the place isn't returned to us the same way we gave it to them, so he KNEW what the charges would be when he moved. He also said that a court battle would not be in our best interest. It went to court and the judge ordered him to pay the amount we wanted plus our attorney fees, as stipulated in our lease. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
That knd of reminds me about this thing I saw on one of the home shopping networks lasrt night. they were literaly selling 100 bucks for 1599 bucks. It was some old bills from a time before "in god we trust" was put on them. The serial #'s were in order too. I'm sure this means a lot to a collecter, but i found it funny they were selling 100 bucks for 1599.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
That knd of reminds me about this thing I saw on one of the home shopping networks lasrt night. they were literaly selling 100 bucks for 1599 bucks. It was some old bills from a time before "in god we trust" was put on them. The serial #'s were in order too. I'm sure this means a lot to a collecter, but i found it funny they were selling 100 bucks for 1599.
Damn, that's worse than the time I sold a Susan B. Anthony dollar to a guy for $2. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Damn, that's worse than the time I sold a Susan B. Anthony dollar to a guy for $2. :lol:

Well to a collector I am sure he is laughing tlel his friends aobut the guy who sold it to hoim for only $2 LOL. I believe they are made of silver and becoming rare to find these days. My grandfather has a ton of them and hs been told they will be valuable some day do to rarity in circulation. But I agree, really its only a dollar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
bumblebee said:
It figures he works for the government, At least he doesn't teach Economics...

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Zamir Bavel is spending a lot of money to fight a $45 speeding ticket.

The University of Kansas computer science professor says there's a principle at stake. So far, he's dropped about $1,000 contesting the ticket.

He objects to the fact that officers in Lawrence and Larned, Kan., aren't required to take any special classes in operating the radar speed guns.

Such classes are recommended by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration but are not required by law.

Bavel contends the speed gun that nabbed him may not have been operated correctly.

His trial in district court was scheduled to continue Monday. He said he'll take his speeding case all the way to the Kansas Supreme Court if necessary.
In many states two tickets on record, will double insurance rates. $1000 plus to fight ticket may be bargin if his insurance doubled ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
maybe he is about to loose his license or insurance. or just has the $ to drop down on this to get his point accross. I got nailed for some BS a few months ago in MD, the cop was on the opposite side of the interstate, he claimed I was doing 84 in a 65, total BS, i can see 72 mph or so, but i know i wasn't doing 84, he wrecked his cruiser over it he went thru the median at atleast 70 mph. I thought he ran off the road. It was only a $55 ticket so I paid the thing. It would have costed more to take a day off work, drive to MD, and take the chance the cop would show up pay the ticket, court costs blah blah blah.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I can agree with the guy as long as you have the money. Somebody has to pay to fight for the rights. Just be glad this guy is doing it for the rest of us.
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
I can agree with the guy as long as you have the money. Somebody has to pay to fight for the rights. Just be glad this guy is doing it for the rest of us.
:iagree: well stated!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top