Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm gonna buy my 2005 Yamaha R6 next week, probably monday or tuesday. You think it's a big deal if I drive it home, or attempt to, having not been on a bike before? Or should I tow it home? I mean, I'm scheduled to take the MSF class this weekend but it is supposed to rain and their make-up days are not until June. Although I don't know why since they do it inside a parking garage!

What you think people?

Grafixx

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
**** dude, DO NOT ride it home. Take the course first. if you're gonna ride, do it at home on an empty street or something. It's a big risk, plus it has a lot of power for someone's first time on a bike. It will take a good two months before you get use to the power...DON'T DO IT!

·
Registered
543 Posts
+1 on DL's response, man! Get it home in one piece and then slowly work your way out onto the street. Spend a while, after your course, in a parking lot with your new best friend! ;) Get used to how IT handles(stops, turns, shifts, etc) versus the bikes you use in the MSF course. Their bikes are NOTHING like an R6 and it will be a mostly different ball game on one. You want to KNOW those things before you are having to deal, not only with yourself and bike, but the other fools out there on the streets. If you get nervous and stall at an intersection because you're not familiar with the bike :doh: at best you could piss off the person behind you and at worst someone could be coming from the rear and mow ya down with their cage.

That said...what the hell is wrong with your MSF people there? Here, they run the course unless there are 35mph winds and/or 3in of snow on the ground... :wink: :wink:

Good luck with the bike and good work on getting the course set up already :)

Ride safe and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D, I got it. Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't think that I was gonna be that stupid but it was just a thought.

As far as the raining and cancelling, I think it's bs. Don't ask. They have the garage right next door at the mall but they won't use it I don't think, even though it is not used unless it is the holiday season. But maybe I can talk to the instructor wednsday since that is the "in class" portion of the MSF class. Maybe they'll do it in the garage.

G

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Guys at dealerships are REAL good at loadin bikes into the back of pick-ups... I'm sure they would be more than happy to help ya out if you habe a truck or know/can bribe someone who does. Have 2 friends help ya unload it at home.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pickle,

Thanks for the information. I wish I had a truck to put it in. I was actually thinking of buying one of the one-bike-trailers and getting a hitch put on my car (2000 Cavalier) to tow it with. The guy at the stealer was trying to talk me into a huge trailer, like one you can tow a car with or put landscaping stuff in.

Nuts, ain't he?

Grafixx

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
Guys at dealerships are REAL good at loadin bikes into the back of pick-ups... I'm sure they would be more than happy to help ya out if you habe a truck or know/can bribe someone who does. Have 2 friends help ya unload it at home.
While POD is right... most dealers will load the bike into one of their trucks and take it to your house for you.... might be able to get them to throw that in on the deal!

But I wouldn't recomend riding it out. I have seen and heard of many people crashin their brand new bikes less than 100 yards from the dealers...with less than 1 mile on them...

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
at the dealership i worked at, we were always puttin bikes in ppls trucks, trailers or what ever, i personally had to ride some ppls bikes to there house for them cuz they didnt kno how to ride good enough, so i am sure that they would be more then happy to help you out, that what the shop truck is for, picking bikes up and droppin bikes off, and freebies is always a good thing :luck: and dont ride it home, unless you want to have to put it in the back of a truck when it is waded up against a tree...or worse, not tryin to scare ya, but i have seen a guy buy a new busa and wreckin at the the stop sign and the end of the driveway, he was ok but the bike wasnt :nonod:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

What's up with the MSF class?
They go rain or shine here.
They schedule classes two weeks apart.
Only postpone for snow and high winds and do make up day the next Saturday after the class.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Yeah good idea... ask someone who works there to ride it to your house for you, then you can drive them back to the shop. Maybe arrange it so you come up at the end of their shift. Im sure lots of them would be willing, even if its kinda far, especially if you dangle a $50 or $100 dolla bill in front of em :)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone. I won't be riding it home, I'm gonna ask if they can drive it or put it in a truck and bring it back to my house. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy it and leave it there and then go get a hitch put on my car and buy a trailer and tow it home myself if they want to be idiots about it.

As far as the MSF course, they have two classes going at the same time on the same day, and they put the courses every weekend so they do like a month of classes and then a month of make-ups! It's kinda of stupid in my opinion.

G

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Sounds like they have it figured out.
I just don't understand why they would postpone due to rain.
They plainly state in their brochure here to bring rain gear just in case.
My wife had a whole day of ridding in the rain during her class.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll ask about it when I go. I even went to the MSF website (given in this forum) and downloaded their new guide for the beginner course. It's only like 66pages. I haven't read it yet cause my idiot sister flipped when I asked to borrow her printer and then Kinko's wanted like $50 to print it cause they charge like $0.75 per page.

So I'll be reading that and if I see that they say to bring rain gear, I'll ask about it tomorrow when we are in the classroom part of the course.

G

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
I'm gonna buy my 2005 Yamaha R6 next week, probably monday or tuesday. You think it's a big deal if I drive it home, or attempt to, having not been on a bike before?
YES it's a big deal. Don't even think about getting on it until you take and pass MSF.

By the way, I hope you're kidding. Seriously, that's way too much bike if you've never been on one before.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pigface,

No, sorry to say that I am not joking. I have many reasons for myself doing so and I've even posted some of them in threads on this. Many people have agreed with me and some, like you, say not to and go buy used and lower cc bike. It's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I guess like I say, "I'll learn for myself."

Grafixx

·
Registered
893 Posts
A couple quick things ...

Riding a bike without a motorcycle endorsement is considered "Driving without a licence" in most States. If you get pulled, it's going to suck.

The motorcycle you are about to buy has the power:weight ratio of a 400HP Mustang minus the traction control, anti-lock brakes, and 2 wheels. It really may not be the best choice if you have never been on a motorcycle before.

I hate to sound like a nanny, but we do a whole lot of insurance jobs on new bikes every year. It's a damn shame when we have to total a XXX600 with < 300 miles on it (Our current record holder is a '03 R6 with 232 miles on it, but there have been several since then that came close). Most of the time, the rider isn't seriously injured, but not always.

If you're set on buying one ... have them deliver it, wear good gear, and try not to become the average first time rider who buys a modern 600.

- Brian Roach
- SpeedWerks.com

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Pigface,

No, sorry to say that I am not joking. I have many reasons for myself doing so and I've even posted some of them in threads on this. Many people have agreed with me and some, like you, say not to and go buy used and lower cc bike. It's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I guess like I say, "I'll learn for myself."

Grafixx
I don't mean to be harsh, but I saw a guy die a couple years ago on his new bike. He was signed up to start taking the MSF course the following day. That happens a LOT. And he was wearing gear.

My first bike was my CBR 600 F4i, which is a little more forgiving than the R6, but I was familiar with bikes.

You control the throttle with your wrist, you don't have to go faster than you feel comfortable. However, IMO, I wouldn't even drive it around in the neighborhood until you pass the course. I don't think you'd get hurt that way, but you'd be really pissed if you dropped your brand new bike.

Good luck and have fun. . :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts