Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep asking is this bike better than that bike questions, but one of the guys on the Porsche forum that I post on brought up that I should look at Ducati 900SS's as well as R6s. At first I was concerned and didn't even look at them because it is a 900cc bike, but after looking at the dyno results the Ducati seems more beginner friendly than the R6... do you guys have an opinions about this? Any experience with both bikes??

Thanks guys!!! :twfrox:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Get the freekin 6. You won't be sorry and you'll be happy you did once you get use to the incredible power that comes from the R6. That is all

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm still definately leaning toward the R6, but the prospect of owning a Ducati is VERY tempting... lol... In all reality I will probably end up on an R6 by the time next spring rolls around...

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Find a used 748, 996 or even a S4R.
You probably can find one for same price or less than a new R6.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'd have to agree with D and yourself about getting the R6. If you haven't read any of my posts, that's the bike I'm lookin' to hopefully get this year. I'd love a Ducati, if you couldn't tell from my pic, but I found out besides their initial excessive cost, they are costly on repairs too. As well as most stealers don't repair or know how to repair them. When I was in New York, there was only ONE stealer out of like 20 that sold and did repairs on Ducatis. However you could probably say that was because the guy was from Italy and had all the Italian bikes shipped to him cause he used to work at Ducatis plant.

Grafixx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About working on the bike, I do all my vehicle maintanence. I know a guy who has been riding Ducati's since the 70s and has already said he would help me do all the stuff that isn't intuitive. I still think I'm gonna go with the R6 then save up and get myself a 999 after i get out of the AF

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Wombat,

That's cool that you found someone to help you with the work. I was thinking about maybe looking into a motorcycle repair school since I know nothing about repairing them and would like to save myself major cash on getting general stuff done.

But you're AF. That's cool. I was Army but got out, sorry GSXR750. I used to be all into it and then, well we just don't see eye to eye but that's a different topic. If you're ever gonna be in El Paso, Texas let me know. We'll ride together someplace.

G

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally feel that schools like that are a waste of time. Most of the stuff you are going to learn, you will never lose unless you have a castatrophic failure. I've learned all I know from just working on my cars. Now I know nothing about bikes so it may take a while to learn all the stuff, but I'm an engineering nerd and like doing stuff like that.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The R6's are great bikes... and I've never heard of anybody bashing one if they've owned one!

·
Registered
893 Posts
My last street bike was a 900ss ('99, first year of the redesign).

I put 6000 miles on it before selling it (just didn't ride it much once I started doing this for a living and racing all the time) ... the maint was no different than a Japanese bike. The valve check intervals aren't like they used to be, and a competent mechanic can handle checking Desmo valves. Only downside was that you had to remove the shock to get to the rear cylinder.

It's an awesome bike. Great handling, tons of torque ... very easy to be a hooligan on one (snap the throttle in 2nd gear, front comes up). Beautiful styling as well (this is a subjective thing, of course).

The only real difference between an R6 and a 900SS is top speed ... the 900SS only has about 85hp (with slip-ons) and is going to top out at about 140mph. The R6 has about 105hp and will top out at about 155. And on the street ... this shouldn't matter unless you're an idiot.

In fact ... off the line, the 900ss is going to have the edge. It has a torque curve like you wouldn't believe. Benefit of being a big twin.

And handling is superb, right out of the box - rock solid cornering ability.

For a streetbike ... I'd buy another one in a minute. Only downside is the cost vs. the R6 ... but you're buying a lot of styling and "I can find mine in the parking lot". I loved mine.

- Roach

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
wombat7 said:
About working on the bike, I do all my vehicle maintanence. I know a guy who has been riding Ducati's since the 70s and has already said he would help me do all the stuff that isn't intuitive. I still think I'm gonna go with the R6 then save up and get myself a 999 after i get out of the AF
Did I hook you up with the guy who will sell you parts at cost for active duty guys? Only Yams and Hondas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts