Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who wants to watch some great racing, this weekend is the CCS/FUSA weekend at summit point. It's 3 days of great racing over the memorial day weekend. Sat and Sun are CCS races, and Monday are the FUSA races. Monday's races will be unreal!

If anyone decides to head up there, look for the Speedwerks trailer and come say hi. A couple of our guys will be racing, as well as a bunch of our customers. It's always a great time, especially if you camp over night.

Here's info on summit point:
Summit Point Raceway

Laura

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be cool. it's awesome. If you'll be camping, feel free to join us for dinner Saturday and Sunday night. Also, will have plenty of cold beers in the fridge too. :)

Just look for the big SpeedWerks trailer in the paddock. You'll find us there. :thumbs:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I asked a couple of my boys to come along and they all ask me the same question. How much $ to spectate and camp? I told them it probably wasnt much, but they are a little more strapped for money so I told them I would find out. Let me know the details so I can try and get it all worked out. TIA

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal! You are more than welcome to hang out with us. Are you going to camp? If so, we'll have dinner on Sunday night and you are more than welcome to join us. It's either lasagna or hamburgers, depending on what we had saturday night. ;)

Have you ever been to a race before?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Im going to be there Sunday and Monday and we'll be camping. Dinner sounds great to me. No I have not been to a bike race yet. I have been to just about every other kind of race except for bikes, which are the races I'm most interested in :screwy:

Personal racing experience has been limited to MotoX when I was younger, and the 1/4 mile. Now that I'm into bikes, I cant wait to get on the track and look forward to getting all the help/tips/pointers/etc that I'll need to do so. Im looking forward to this weekend like crazy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i was there today. i didnt see the speed werks stand. i will post some pics later. i wish i could of went for the whole weekend.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Post some photos in our gallery!!
Pic's would be cool! :dthumb:
Wish I could make it to other tracks. :sob:
VIR and Road Atlanta are the only bike races I have attended!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuckademus said:
Can't see much in the way of runoff, sandtraps, etc.

Hows the racing?

Chuck
Summit has decent gravel traps and run-off on most turns. The worst place is T4 ("The Chute") which is in one of the pics above ... FUSA does provide air fence for that location though, which is a big help, as well as several other locations where it is needed.

The racing was awesome this weekend ... new overall track record at 1:14.3 which is insane. Our weekend ... was about 50/50 suck/fun.

Sat I got tangled up in a first lap crash in a CCS race that was caused by some moron running off the inside of T6 and dragging water and mud left from morning rains up onto the track ... 5 of us went down in it behind him as you're leaned all the way over at that point in T6 and race DOTs have no tread on the outside 1" (You're basically on a slick at that point). My bike wasn't bad ... and definately faired better than Robert Jenson's who was right in front of me ... he was slightly pissed - bent forks, broken subframe, bent triples.

Then ... the fuel injection on the bike decided to take a holiday. We think the power commander failed, but won't know until I get the thing on the dyno this week. I had to pull out of Monday's FUSA race after struggling around for a few laps with the bike cutting in and out. I should have unplugged the damn thing Monday morning, but after some mapping changes it had run well in practice, so I figured that was it. Silly me. But as they say .... that's racing.

All and all though, it was a fun weekend. Except for a couple rain showers, the weather was great and the place was packed. We got to work on dialing in the bike's suspension (when the bike was actually running right), which was good - it's still a hair too stiff for my weight and riding style, but at least we know which direction to go with it now. I also got some good seat time on the 600, which is really needed - going to this big heavy pig after racing the 250 is a huge change. I'm still about 2 seconds a lap slower than I was on my 250 last year, but that's a whole lot closer than I was at the beginning of the weekend. With a couple more weekends of track time, I should be able to be faster on the 600 and not feel like a rolling chicane :) Changing back to four-strokes after 4 years of not rinding one is a real learning experience, but I'm having fun and enjoying the challenge.

We'll be at NESBA at Summit Point in two weeks doing trackside support and suspension setup if anyone is thinking of doing at track day!

- Roach

·
Registered
175 Posts
did you happen to see the 3 bike crash in turn 10 on monday? i was sitting in turn 9 and didnt see what happen. The one guy dave actually sold me my bike. he is in bad shape from what i understand. i was told dave high sided and got hit by another bike last i heard he is in hershey medical center.

·
Registered
175 Posts
it looked like he was moving up and running good from where i was sitting but then he didnt come back around. i felt like **** ever since i talked to his mechanic He said dave might be done racing. they just had the bike almost completely rebuilt.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lucky, sorry you missed coming by to see us. Right next to where Brian was pitted (the picture of the bike under the canopy) was our big, bright orange and yellow speedwerks trailer. :) Would have liked to meet some TWF people.

Roach954...sorry you didn't make it out, but hope you are feeling better!

--Laura

·
Registered
175 Posts
my brother took that picture. I was only in the paddock for a little i spent most of the day on the other side watching. i will be sure to stop by next time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts