Two Wheel Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.intelligent-energy.com was showing their hydrogen fuel cell motorcycle today in downtown San Francisco.
Bikes go over 100 miles before refill, which costs about $3 for hydrogen. Current proto bikes top speed 80 miles per hour. Fuel cell has electrical outlets and comes out of bike for use around home or camping :dthumb: Company plans on using fuel cell on jet ski's, boats ect. Fuel cell produces no sound, all you can hear is cooling fan.
Company plans on offering mini hydrogen creator size of shoe box for refills.
Bigger bikes which produce same performance of internal combustion motorcycles are planned for the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
jetskifast said:
www.intelligent-energy.com was showing their hydrogen fuel cell motorcycle today in downtown San Francisco.
Bikes go over 100 miles before refill, which costs about $3 for hydrogen. Current proto bikes top speed 80 miles per hour. Fuel cell has electrical outlets and comes out of bike for use around home or camping :dthumb: Company plans on using fuel cell on jet ski's, boats ect. Fuel cell produces no sound, all you can hear is cooling fan.
Company plans on offering mini hydrogen creator size of shoe box for refills.
Bigger bikes which produce same performance of internal combustion motorcycles are planned for the future.

Ok, I understand the whole "Pollution - Save the Earth" concept. But for real, bikes don't produce nearly as much pollution as cars, trucks, SUVs, buses or like factories. SO I think we should cut down on them first, then worry about bikes. Plus, just don't like the styling. Going too "I, Robot" - "Judge Dredd" on us now... :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Grafixx01 said:
Ok, I understand the whole "Pollution - Save the Earth" concept. But for real, bikes don't produce nearly as much pollution as cars, trucks, SUVs, buses or like factories. SO I think we should cut down on them first, then worry about bikes. Plus, just don't like the styling. Going too "I, Robot" - "Judge Dredd" on us now... :2cents:
Bikes, especially carbureted produce many times more pollution than your largest SUV per mile. Do google search find out your facts ;)
I could careless about pollution of bikes, both my BMW's have after market pipes without cats ;)
What I like is technology that does not use oil products, plus you can find hydrogen right in the air around you :dthumb: Hydrogen to fill my tank for over 100 miles only costs $3, cheaper than gas. If you buy hydrogen creator bet its lot cheaper.
Electric motors produce tons of torque, these guys maybe on to something :drool:
Styling these guys are the first, better models will be coming down the pipe :2cents: I do like mini HID headlights :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,434 Posts
They had a little clip on this on a recent Twowheel Tuesday episode. Said they are looking to offer this at around $6k to start. I think it's a step in the right direction. Personally I think they ned to begin with the 20yr old industrial trucks that spew out massive amounts of black sludge everytime they shift, I hate driving through that smoke, it fricken reeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
jetskifast said:
...What I like is technology that does not use oil products, plus you can find hydrogen right in the air around you
wrong, wrong and wrong again. Hydrogen production to run this motorcycle would burn more fossil fuels than a motorcycle with a gasoline engine. You can't find hydrogen in the air around you. Hydrogen is a very unstable element. Whenever there is anything around with a spare electron-bam the hydrogen forms a bond. Remember basic chemistry in high school. The majority of hydrogen produced today comes from electrolysis-the electricity for this comes from fossil fuel burning powerplants, or from coal, which also requires a substantial amount of energy and is far from a clean process.
The greenies don't want anymore nuclear power, they don't like the windmills because the condors get chopped up in them, solar power is too expensive, and they want to drain all the man made dams because the carp are endangered, so the only thing left to generate electricity is the old diesel generator. You don't eliminate the pollution with a hydrogen powered vehicle, you just move it somewhere else.

This whole hydrogen economy idea is a crapshoot. If we really want to deplete the oil reserves and become more dependant on the arabs, then lets all make the push for hydrogen vehicles.

oh yeah, there's still the issues of the storage, transportation and dispensing of the hydrogen.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're headed in the right direction, but we need to get a lot further along before any of this is ready for the real world.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
It looks like a dirt bike toy bike!

So is this hydrogen stuff a liquid? If so, I can run it thru my pipeline... I'm good! If not, I don't want it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
Why couldn't the desingers just take the engine and throw it in a current rocket? or cruiser?

Don't like the styling and 80mph... :wtf: , it's "THE MAN" trying to run our lives and regulate everything...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gas Man said:
It looks like a dirt bike toy bike!

So is this hydrogen stuff a liquid? If so, I can run it thru my pipeline... I'm good! If not, I don't want it!
Lets hope people will be making hydrogen at home for refills ;)
You're Job secure, oil companies will buy out rights if hydrogen fuel cell catchs on :rant:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
jetskifast said:
Lets hope people will be making hydrogen at home for refills ;)
You're Job secure, oil companies will buy out rights if hydrogen fuel cell catchs on :rant:
How do you make hydrogen at home? You have to have electricity from somewhere. The electricity comes from petroleum products. Thats all there is to it. The hippies have been given too much power and now we can't even get a new refinery open, let alone build clean wind, hydro-electric or nuclear power plant.

Also, if you research it you will find that studies have been done on converting our society to a hydrogen based society and not only would the costs be horrendous, the worlds supply of platinum(used in all fuel cells) would be depleted in several months. Do a search on peak oil and read into the "alternatives" I don't necessarily agree with the doomsdayers that put the peak oil theory together, but much of the information is useful--read between the lines.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
jetskifast said:
Lets hope people will be making hydrogen at home for refills ;)
You're Job secure, oil companies will buy out rights if hydrogen fuel cell catchs on :rant:
Thanks for the confidence boost!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
jetskifast said:
Lets hope people will be making hydrogen at home for refills ;)
You're Job secure, oil companies will buy out rights if hydrogen fuel cell catchs on :rant:

They won't catch on for cars or any type of automobile. They, along with "The Man" stands to lose a snit load of money so that won't catch on. They've been around for decades and are like just now making their appearance but still in the "testing" stages!
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top