Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on a bike, I just got back, got 13 runs in and I'm f'n tired. :lol: It's an hour down and an hour back. :u

Best ET of the night was 10.795, best trap was 135.86. Still can't break 2.0 launching, that's going to take some practice. My bike weighed 530lbs w/ a half tank, but it's listed at 475. A buddy's ZX10 weighed 425. So, they both weighed about 50lbs more than they're listed, I can't figure that out. I had half a tank, don't know what he had.

Get my fatass back into shape, learn how to launch, and I should start getting the times the bike should get.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
The weight thing doesn't surprise me!!
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
Yea
I think the manufacture leave the wheels off when they weigh for the spec sheet. :rant:
Not to mention no fluids! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
sounds like fun, went to the drags with the car last night, still not as much fun as running the bikes...practice those launches and youll be all set,,,,just takes some seat time thats all...and a lot of slipping the clutch :dthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Are you planning on lowering the bike and tying down the front end? Or are you trying to run as fast as you can completely stock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DLITALIEN said:
What Rpm Were You Launching At?
The one time I opened it up was about 6,000. But, I spun all over the place, so I lowered my pressure to about 25. Then I was launching around 4, but bogging bad. I think I was just getting tired. It's a hydraulic clutch so I'm not sure if I should be slipping/feathering it, or just using torque out of the hole?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GsxrJack said:
sounds like fun, went to the drags with the car last night, still not as much fun as running the bikes...practice those launches and youll be all set,,,,just takes some seat time thats all...and a lot of slipping the clutch :dthumb:
Weighing 230lbs isn't doing me any favors either. So, that'll be a good motivator. A strap on the front will definitely help too I think.

The hardest part is learning how to breathe when you're staging so the damn shield doesn't fog up. :rofl:

Running cars is a blast, but definitely not as fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Captain Morgan said:
Are you planning on lowering the bike and tying down the front end? Or are you trying to run as fast as you can completely stock?
I'm just having fun. I'll tie the front down, but I'm not going to lower it. The exhaust I want is the Akropovic, but $1500 for exhaust is ridiculous, so I'm gonna have to research that some more.

If ever I do lower it, it would be strictly to get in the 200mph club at the texas mile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Pigface1 said:
The one time I opened it up was about 6,000. But, I spun all over the place, so I lowered my pressure to about 25. Then I was launching around 4, but bogging bad. I think I was just getting tired. It's a hydraulic clutch so I'm not sure if I should be slipping/feathering it, or just using torque out of the hole?
even though its hydralic, still slip it...its just that hydralic clutches lack the feel of a cable clutch and sometimes can be like an on/off switch so its hard to slip it....but try 5k and slip it a little then get it wide open as fast as you can...your 60' will come down........

25psi is a good starting pressure on the rear tire, if you still spin the rear then lower it a little, 20 psi is the lowest i like to go, since someone once told me anything lower than that and you take a chance of breaking the bead ...dont know if thats true or not but i wasnt gonna find out......

plus the bike gets a little squirly at 20 psi at 152mph which was what i was trapping in the quarter with my gsxr with the nos.. :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Pigface1 said:
I'm just having fun. I'll tie the front down, but I'm not going to lower it. The exhaust I want is the Akropovic, but $1500 for exhaust is ridiculous, so I'm gonna have to research that some more.

If ever I do lower it, it would be strictly to get in the 200mph club at the texas mile.
ya just run it like you do on the street, except for the rear tire pressure...tie the front end down only if your hooking up hard and your having wheelie problems in 1st since that will help, wont stop it on a busa :crazy: but it will help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GsxrJack said:
even though its hydralic, still slip it...its just that hydralic clutches lack the feel of a cable clutch and sometimes can be like an on/off switch so its hard to slip it....but try 5k and slip it a little then get it wide open as fast as you can...your 60' will come down........
I've gotten so used to riding "wrist down" on the street that I'm having trouble opening the throttle all the way in first, too. I find myself rolling it back with my thumb and index instead of just grabbing onto it completely. It's good b/c my chances of flipping it are almost nil, however, I'm sure that's killing my 60s. Obviously you can't cover the back brake on the launch, so is there a rule of thumb on how you position your right hand when launching?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Pigface1 said:
I've gotten so used to riding "wrist down" on the street that I'm having trouble opening the throttle all the way in first, too. I find myself rolling it back with my thumb and index instead of just grabbing onto it completely. It's good b/c my chances of flipping it are almost nil, however, I'm sure that's killing my 60s. Obviously you can't cover the back brake on the launch, so is there a rule of thumb on how you position your right hand when launching?
have had that problem also before on a few different bikes, (having to grab a couple of handfulls to get it to wide open) fix is to position your right hand higher to be able to get it to the stops in one motion (hard to describe, but just think of the way you see dirt bike racers have their hands on the throttle at the start of a race) you definately want to be able to go full throttle with one motion......if you start with your wrist level with the ground then youll have a problem getting to full throttle, raise your wrist a little and then when your at around 5k youll be level with the ground...

hard to describe...ill try to take a pic for ya if you dont know what im talking about but i know what you mean....

one little word of caution, i use to call that the death grip since its kind of hard to roll off the throttle all the way with that position, just like its hard to get to full throttle from the wrist down position...just be ready with the clutch in case things go terribly wrong :yikes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
:scratch: I think I've read this somewhere before :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GsxrJack said:
one little word of caution, i use to call that the death grip since its kind of hard to roll off the throttle all the way with that position, just like its hard to get to full throttle from the wrist down position...just be ready with the clutch in case things go terribly wrong :yikes:
That's exactly my point. :rofl: Shyt, I'll just have to keep practicing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Pigface1 said:
That's exactly my point. :rofl: Shyt, I'll just have to keep practicing.

Ya, the clutch and rear brake are your friends in a panic situation (flipping over backwards etc) :yikes: but dont worry , iver only seen it done once in person at the dragstrip...boy was if funny

I know u mentioned rear brake at the beginning of the thread, no need whatsoever for any rear brake at the dragstrip...if your thinking of controlling a wheelie with it, dont even bother just roll off the throttle a little, the run is ruined at that point anyways...??

well ive told you everything i know about launching bikes, now PM me with some tips on getting better than a 2.03 60' with kuhmo tires on my vette. (ran [email protected] the other night) ...bikes are definately more fun at the track...easier to me too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Tweety said:
:scratch: I think I've read this somewhere before :lol:
we dont charge extra for re-post and threads repeating themselves.... :wink:

plus im old and cant remember what i had for breakfast this morning, so excuse me if i repeat myself... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
GsxrJack said:
well ive told you everything i know about launching bikes, now PM me with some tips on getting better than a 2.03 60' with kuhmo tires on my vette. (ran [email protected] the other night) ...bikes are definately more fun at the track...easier to me too...
PM coming, but fwiw if you're looking to break 2.0 on your daily driver tires, good luck. lol I did get a couple 2.00s on my runflats at 35psi, though. :crazy:

edit: n/m forgot I have PMs turned off on here. :lol:

Basically I don't drop the clutch or anything like that, I'm not even sure what RPMs I start at, but I want to say around 3500. Roll it out a little slow, as if you're at a stoplight next to a cop. When the tires catch, just feather the ever living **** out of the clutch and the gas. Just like on a bike, get WOT asap.

There's no need to powershift into 2nd b/c you'll just spin, but get it into 2nd quick at the redline. You can power into 3rd and then 4th if you're confident in your shifting. Obviously it's a risk.

Hand placement. .1st to 2nd shift should be like a pistol grip. 2nd to 3rd, you want your index and middle knuckles on top of the shifter with your palm behind it. Throw it up towards the passenger headlight. 3rd to 4th, you want your pinky and ring knuckles on top and the rest of your hand down the left side of the shifter. Pull back throwing your elbow back towards where the passenger side backseat would be. That will help ensure you don't go from 3rd to 2nd.

As a whole on launching it, there's not need to get the revs up all that high, you can torque out of the hole. But to get 2.00, you're really going to have to feather the clutch a lot along with the gas.

I've gone through a few clutches, obviously. lol But, I have my Spec 4 here just waiting to get installed.

If you put slicks on, obviously you can really cram it out of the hole and look for some 1.5s. But, in cars like these I consider slicks to be cheating. :rofl:

Used to I'd really pull my seat up forward so I could have the shifter right next to me. But after a while I found out that it's so foreign to how I usually drive that I just don't pull it that far up anymore.

Last, wear a glove on your right hand..nothing pisses you off more than missing 2 to 3 b/c of a sweaty palm. :lol:

The 2.00s I've had have all been with my normal airpressure mainly due to me being too lazy to adjust my tires. lol If you lower them down to 22-25 and bring the fronts up to 45 or so, you should be able to get there pretty quick.

Hope that helps. . :crazy:
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top