Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the front and rear brake fluid in my SV and the front is no longer smooth. I don't know how to describe the feeling, but it's like a door that needs oiling. It stops just fine, just needs a bit more pressure than it used to.

Do I have air in the line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
air in the line would be a logical assumption..I assume you bled the lines after you replaced the fluid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Yes, I bled the lines.
Hhhmmm..thats weird...really weird...when I bled my lines, I had alot of old fluid in there, that was really gunky..in my old yamaha that is..it may have some build up in the line..replacing the brake line might do it ?? how old is the brake line?...they last a really long time normally, but thats all I can think of, short of calling the dealer.
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Sounds like you need to flush the fluid more. I have felt what you are describing, if the old fluid was really nasty you may need to flush it a couple of times to get the old crap out. If that doesn't work, you may need to rebuild the master cylinder to get rid of that feeling.

Larry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
larryg said:
Sounds like you need to flush the fluid more. I have felt what you are describing, if the old fluid was really nasty you may need to flush it a couple of times to get the old crap out. If that doesn't work, you may need to rebuild the master cylinder to get rid of that feeling.

Larry

Is that feeling dangerous or just a nuisance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Is that feeling dangerous or just a nuisance?
I've only found it a nuisance but I don't recommend leaving it that way. I'm a bit sensitive about safety issues (ask to see my scar sometime :D) so I prefer to make sure it is right before riding.

Again, you may find that some more bleeding and working the lever will clear it up.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
larryg said:
I've only found it a nuisance but I don't recommend leaving it that way. I'm a bit sensitive about safety issues (ask to see my scar sometime :D) so I prefer to make sure it is right before riding.

Again, you may find that some more bleeding and working the lever will clear it up.


Larry
When I bled mine, it took forever for all the dirty, used fluid to come out..everytime I thought it was getting clearer, more goop would come out. Finally it cleared, and all is well... I had some build up right at the bottom of the cylinder as well, which i had to clear out.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
When I bled mine, it took forever for all the dirty, used fluid to come out..everytime I thought it was getting clearer, more goop would come out. Finally it cleared, and all is well... I had some build up right at the bottom of the cylinder as well, which i had to clear out.
Easy enough to do, I'll have another go at it. Thanks.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top