Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this one in the Gainesville, FL. newspaper...

By Jeffrey H. Dissell
May 02. 2005 6:01 am

After a 31-year hiatus, I have re-entered the world of motorcycles and motorcycle riding. In many ways, motorcycling has changed.

New technologies have created production motorcycles that would have been custom-made 31 years ago. The use of computers in the industry, both on the finished product as well as in concept, design and production, is radical now, where it was in its infancy three decades ago.

However, while there have been many changes in the world of motorcycles, some things remain as they were when I took my last ride in 1974. The freedom of the open road, the sense of community with other bikers, the sting of rain and the occasional insect for lunch, are all exactly as I remember them.

The one single thing that has not changed and will probably never change is how folks who drive cars and trucks interact with motorcycles.

I am dumbfounded as to why people in cars simply refuse to drive behind a motorcycle.

For some inexplicable reason, there is an overwhelming need for drivers of automobiles to either get two feet behind the rear wheel of a motorcycle or to pass a motorcycle and cut back in front of it very quickly. In either case, no car driver seems to be content doing the legal speed limit and/or giving a motorcycle plenty of space in which to ride safely.

Although I know better intellectually, it almost seems as though there is an ownership issue with car drivers, whereby they think that motorcycles violate their right to occupy any given piece of asphalt at any given time. Apparently, then, they must teach the motorcyclist a lesson, either by tailgating or passing dangerously, both of which seem to me to be intimidation-based.

Please give motorcycles the respect they deserve. The rider works just as hard as you do, pays taxes like you do and has a family to go home to, just like everybody else. It only takes an extra second to recheck the road and to look for other vehicles, including motorcycles.

By the same token, just give that motorcycle in front of you plenty of room to operate safely. I'm not going to speed up to satisfy your need to rush, so you may as well just give me the space I need until you find an opportune time to pass. And when you do finally pass, please don't pull back into my lane until you are certain that you can do so safely.

Slow down and let's give each other the space we need. Better yet, get a motorcycle. It'll make you a better car driver.

Jeffrey H. Dissell lives in Gainesville.

By Jeffrey H. Dissell
May 02. 2005 6:01AM

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well, always having worn a full-face, I can't relate to the insect lunch. There is a weird thing about cages needing to NOT be behind a bike.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I usually ride just a little faster than the cages.
I had rather take the risk of getting a ticket than fight for Lane position.
I just feel more in control of my ride.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
jeeps84 said:
I usually ride just a little faster than the cages.
I had rather take the risk of getting a ticket than fight for Lane position.
I just feel more in control of my ride.
I totally agree Jeeps!

Also, you will find that most people get fixated looking at a bike and don't even realize that it is slowing or whatever...and BANG!!! Rider down.... so people identify this issue and just don't like to ride behind them. Others are just afraid that if the rider goes down they don't want to run him/her over!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I go nuts whenever im riding with someone and theyre all over the back of a bike. It really burnes me up. I also see bikes all over the back of cars. They ride up real fast and switch lanes at the last second. Bad bad bad PR for the rest of us. Even in stopped traffic, ive seen bikes inches from the car in front of them.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Tailgating is bad period, no mater what you ride/drive. :nono:

As fore a bike tailgating me.
It depends on who they are.
If I know them and there style I may not mind, or I may force a pass by slowing or pulling off.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
If I'm being tail gated I look back at them until they back off. If they don't then I force them to by accelerating.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The only "bug lunches" that I've ever heard of were with riders who rode cruisers. When I drive my car, I always manage to find a motorcycle driver followig close behind me, I don't know if it's cause I cut down on his wind resistance but whatever.

I also know this girl who when she's driving and sees a motorcycle either coming up behind or in front of her, she pulls all the way to the right side of the road because she's scared. She doesn't want to hit them or do anything to cause them to wreck. I think that's awesome and think that everyone should respect bikes like she does. Or the states/cities can do what some are doing and make carpool lanes on the highways and allow bikes in them. That'll make it a lot easier for bikers. I mean cities have bike lanes for regular bicycles so why not motorcycles?

Graphixx

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Our very own bike lane.... :skep:

That would just give the cops a better chance to catch me! :D

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
it could be the "cat and mouse lane"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts