Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little "run-in" with the law this past weekend... This is a message I wrote to some friends outlining the details...

Well, it's been an interesting hour... I've been pulled over TWICE on two wheels...

First time, I took my XR for it's second test ride of the day. I took it out earlier and was VERY pleased with its latest jetting. It actually had mid-range now!!!

I took it back out after putting a little more preload in the rear and dropping the front forks 5mm. (It headshakes bad at speed. I think it's the IRC knobby front, but research on ThumperTalk made me realize that too much rear sag or too high a front could contribute... Not sure if there's any improvement...)

Anyway, I went down to the end of my street, turned around, and then pulled a little wheelie. There was no one in sight. Well, a county cop must have been coming towards my street and saw me. I nicely explained it wasn't intention and that I was on a test ride of all of 1/2 mile. I told him that I am a responsible rider, etc.. He just told me to be safe and sent me on my way...

Then, I got the Gixxer started. It was smoking. The gas that's in the bike has been in there since the end of May. I warmed it up and then ran it down the street. Yes, in my neighborhood. Yes, it still has the track plastics and slicks on it. I was going slow. Anyway, I get to the end of my street where I was going to turn around and there's Mr. Cop again. Flashes his lights at me for the second time today. I pull over, he comes up to me LAUGHING. "Sir, that doesn't look street legal to me." I apologized and told him that I need to get gas through the carbs as I'm about to winterize it. He said, "It's okay. Just go home. I didn't see a thing. Good luck and ride safe..."

Phew!!! A wheelie and riding a track bike in my neighborhood all in one day. I'm not worthy to run squidbusters.com. :D
Well, guess who I saw again TODAY?! Yup, the same cop... I was just about to turn into my neighborhood. I was in my truck and was following a lady in a silver Toyota Highlander. There was a green GMC van coming the opposite direction towards us. The van ran up on the curb just before my street. He then proceeded to cut all the way across his lane and directly into the oncoming lane. He hit the lady I was following. He hit her at about a 45 degree angle and mashed up her front bumper, fender, and bent her wheel up. I pulled down my street and stopped to be a witness...

There was an off duty cop who was about 5 cars back from the van. He was the first to arrive. He was driving an unmarked State Trooper car. He radio'ed the sherrff's office...

The sheriff deputy arrived about 5 minutes later. Guess who it was? Yup, the same guy who pulled me over this past weekend twice in one hour... He spoke with the lady in the SUV and the guy who caused the accident briefly. Then, he came over to me. I told him I saw the whole thing very clearly. He directed me to get out of the rain and to go wait in my truck and he'd be right over to take my statement...

I recognized the guy immediately. When he came over to my truck, I jokingly told him how nice it was to see him under different circumstances this time. I apologized to him for this past weekend. His response was amazing...

"Ehh, I know you're a safe rider. You have another black bike, too, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do!", I said...

"I see you riding around all the time. I know you're not an idiot. You're obviously a safe rider."

Say what you will about cops having it out for sportbikes. Be honest with yourself though. Do you give them a reason to watch you so carefully? This whole situation sure made me realize that riding responsibly DOES in fact make a difference. Maybe I made that cop realize that not all sport bike riders are idiots. Maybe he already knew that, but just maybe I made a difference.

Be ambassadors to the sport. Ride smart and be safe EVERY time you suit up. Doing so just may save you a$$, not just your life, one day...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Kool story, you got real lucky getting pulled over twice in the same day by the same cop and not get anything for it.

You're efforts are kinda in vain tho, Sportbike movies in the mainstream ruin it for all of us, but its kool that you've maybe changed the mind for a cop in your county, maybe next time he pulls over a sportbike.. His thoughts won;t be "God damn this asshole im gonna hit him up for everything." Instead he'll be open minded.

If we could all get through to all of our cops then things would be different, that would be asking too much tho.

-Jon

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Sounds to me like he is the cop on your "beat". Make friends with him. He knows you and he is watching you. he also knows your truck and bikes. What do you think will happen if he sees one of your bikes on the street with someone else on it...or in the back of a truck that is not yours. That is the cheapest insurance you can get!!! When you see him drive by, stop him, offer him a soda, let him come into your garage and see your bikes and workshop. He is your first line of defense against the knuckleheads who would like to have your stuff. Also, create a good rapport with him and he will tell his friends, one day you just might get some slack when you should get a ticket.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Motorcycle cops know bikes just like we do, only better. The day before Thanksgiving, I was out riding when a motorcycle cop waved to me. He must have recognized my red, white and blue Honda, because I always nod to motorcycle cops. I rode on and a Harley rider waved to me. I went and bought a lottery ticket after that, and I think Stevnmd should too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That is indeed a great story, and goes to show that being honest with cops seems to work more often than we might think. Obviously, not everyone would get off in this manner, but this is encouraging indeed. The more riders who continue to ride smart and safe, the better off we will all be.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, having him on my side is definitely a good thing. I will certainly be very cordial to him each time I see him.

He must be patrolling my neighborhood now. My neighborhood is a "short-cut" to avoid 3 traffic lights. A lot of people come flying down my road at 45 - 50. We all complain about it. Maybe he's been assigned to help control it...

He's definitely a nice guy...

Who knows? He might have actually been impressed that I didn't just run from his this weekend, too. He knows as well as I do that he wouldn't have a prayer catching me. I'd NEVER run. EVER. Just plain stupid to do so, I don't care where you are...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.