Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I briefly skimmed through the 2005 600cc shootout and discovered that the writers are not all that happy with the new R6. They say the suspension is WAY too stiff and the fuel injection is too choppy. After putting 600 miles on my bike (prior to reading this article), I was thinking the same thing. They like the power of the bike up top, but they say mid range is lacking. They also say it doesn't really enter or exit corners all that great, but it's extremely stable mid-corner. I still need to go through my suspension to see if I can set it up to make me happy, but I'm so light that I don't know if that will be possible. I also plan on remapping the fuel injection to hopefully smooth it out a bit, even if that means cutting down on power. I'd rather have it smooth for getting out of corners than have the top end. How often will I really use the top end anyway?
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Well, it's good to see that your expierence, even though limited at this point, is right on track with what they say... kinda a check and balance thing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
see you ppl should have bought a kawi 636 but no one listens to me. lol
wanna solve the problem, drop 500 and get a pc3 and a custom map, you will gain like 10hp and throttle will be like butter baby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twisty said:
Yeah the R6 got 3rd and Honda got 4th.
yeah, suzi took second and Kawi took first, but it was the ZX-6RR, NOT the 636. RRW wanted to have a TRUE 600cc shootout so they didn't include the 636. I still don't regret my decision to get a Yam because I should still be able to get suspension and fuel mapping set right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
post the link to the shootout please.

kawi leads the 600cc class by like 9hp. lol victory is so sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
We already have this post?? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zx636r said:
post the link to the shootout please.

kawi leads the 600cc class by like 9hp. lol victory is so sweet.
ONLY with the 636. The R6 had the best peak HP on the dyno of the 4 bikes tested, but Suzi had the best peak torque and best mid-range torque.

I have the paper copy of the magazine, I'd have to search online to even see if it's in online format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zx636r said:
sorry but i think ur on crack. that has to be the only mag that does not ahve the 636 listed with the highest peek hp. lol no offense lol
zx, No offense to you, but you obviously didn't read my original post very well. I stated that RRW did NOT test the ZX-6R 636cc bike in this test. They ONLY used the ZX-6RR 599 cc bike because they wanted a TRUE 600cc shootout. They didn't want to use the cheating 636. ;) Of the bikes they tested (Yam R6, Suzi 600, Honda 600 RR, Kawi 6RR), the Yam had the highest peak horsepower. I'm sure that if they had tested the 636, it would have had higher power, but like I said, they wanted ONLY 599cc bikes in this test.

Yamaal14, I have never ridden an '04 R6 so I can't make a comparison. However, the article stated that Yamaha f---ed up the R6 (their words) in the areas of suspension (mainly front forks) and fuel injection. It seems to me that they think the '04 R6 was better than the '05, at least in those areas. However, I do feel confident that with some tuning with a power commander and possibly re-valving of the forks that the '05 R6 would be ahead of the '04. BUT, that is not what the magazine was testing. They wanted an off-the-showroom test with standard wrenching adjustments on suspension and no extra dollars spent. Hell, anyone could buy just about any bike and wrench and add aftermarket items and make it an awesome bike, but it seems the '05 R6 will take more money to do so because Yamaha didn't go the distance.

DJ, where is the other thread about this specific article? I didn't see it anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
sorry, my bad captian i had the wrong test in mine.
and yes twisty it is a cheater bike but if put in a race with you, all you would be able to do is follow it. :wink:
and even if you push it up and compare it withe the gixxer 750 and ducati 750 it will even preform and keep up with theses bikes yet in this case it has over 100cc less displacement and almost makes as much hp. only off by a little :dthumb: and it is prob one of the cheapest bikes to buy well it was untill 05
plus you get a slipper clutch with it. that there alone is worth getting the bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,654 Posts
zx636r said:
sorry, my bad captian i had the wrong test in mine.
and yes twisty it is a cheater bike but if put in a race with you, all you would be able to do is follow it. :wink:
and even if you push it up and compare it withe the gixxer 750 and ducati 750 it will even preform and keep up with theses bikes yet in this case it has over 100cc less displacement and almost makes as much hp. only off by a little :dthumb: and it is prob one of the cheapest bikes to buy well it was untill 05
plus you get a slipper clutch with it. that there alone is worth getting the bike.
Are you insane!!! My R6 makes over 112 hp and the biggest advantage is me on it. I will leave you in my dust, sucking your thumb. :skep:
 

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
Captain, honest question here, don't take offense if it comes off wrong. Were you noticing the things the article points out before you read it, like spot on, or did you just start noticing it a lot more after you read it? I mean, did yuo come ot the conclusion that the entry and exits suffered and the springs were too strong before you read anything, or did you just know that something was off but not quite sure what.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pickle.of.doom said:
Captain, honest question here, don't take offense if it comes off wrong. Were you noticing the things the article points out before you read it, like spot on, or did you just start noticing it a lot more after you read it? I mean, did yuo come ot the conclusion that the entry and exits suffered and the springs were too strong before you read anything, or did you just know that something was off but not quite sure what.
I honestly noticed the abruptness of the throttle and the stiffness of the springs before I read the article. I was kind of surprised to see those things mentioned in the article as I had not read them anywhere before, just noticed them in riding. I haven't ridden it on the track yet to determine entry/exit adeptness of the 6 and I'm certainly no expert when it comes to proper lines in turns so I probably won't notice that anyway. But yes, I did notice the abruptness of the throttle and stiffness of the ride prior to reading the magazine.

stoneloco, welcome to the forum, be sure to check the site out and join in all threads, even those not related to Yamaha.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top