Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got the hang of drivin' my R6 (only two days so that's pretty good I think for a newbie). But I'm asking about RPMs. Can someone tell me, on a 600, what like each gear should go between? like 1st should be between xxx and xxx, 2nd shoudl be between xxx and xxx, etc.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zx636r said:
its a 600 you can be at whatever rpm u want

For real man? Cause it seemed to me that it was like whining loud when I was doing like 35-40 in 2nd gear. Didn't know if it was me? I was only at like 7K RPMs so I'd kick it up into 3rd just to be safe.

Bad or good?

·
Registered
44 Posts
1st: between 500 rpm and 14,000
2nd: between 2,500 rpm and 14,000
3rd: between 3,000 rpm and 14,000
4th: between 3,000 rpm and 14,000
5th: between 3,000 rpm and 14,000
6th: between 3,000 rpm and 14,000

Once you're past your break in period, you'll discover the ranges YOU want to shift at...

I don't have an R6, but I shift anywhere between say 1,500 and about 12,000... sometimes I just wind it up and let it sing... then I shift and try to keep it off the rev limiter... :yikes:

A lot of times now, I shift by ear, I don't even pay attention to the tach...

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so what I was doing doesn't seem like it was bad then. It just seems like I was over-reacting once again.

When do you think this "break-in" period should end? I already put like 175miles on it and I only rode it like 3x.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i would put at least 500 miles on it b4 you go nuts with it. i think they say like 1000 miles but i dont know anyone that caue stand not redlining it for 1k miles

as far as shifting, if ur just cruising, u can shift at like 5-7k. now if ur hitting up the twisties then i usually dont get under 10k lol 10k to 15k is just nuts. on the other hand if u wanna be a squid you can ride thorugh town in first gear with the engine screaming cause it sound cool.

for break in, try not to keep it at a steady RPM, like dont ride down the highway, try to fluctuate the rpm.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Doing that, not the SQUID thing of cruising around town in 1st gear. I can't stand 1st gear! I saw this guy take his 04 R6 off a 4" curb today though, I stood on the side of the road shaking my head. I think I pissed him off, oh well, I just thought what he did was stupid.

But I'm like driving around town and stuff, along with taking it on the highway only twice so far though (cross winds were scary [70mph down the highway with 25mph crosswinds coming at my side]). Other than that, I think I'm fluctuating the RPMs enough.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Graff...is your R6 the only one made from the factory that doesn't have a tach? :skep:

Without getting into the brake in crap.... you can use any range under the red line.... use it as you see fit... everybody rides their bike differently and at different RPMs... just enjoy it and love the sound of that finely tuned machine!!!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gas Man, it has a Tach. That's why I asked. I didn't know if it was more like a car. My friend who drives stick, says that like usually you shift when it hits a certain RPM in the car, I just figured it may be the same on a bike. I guess that's from when the MSF instructor asked who had driven a car that was stick before and then said that it was much like that.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well you shift as you like... sometime I shift early, sometimes I take er all the way around to just before the begining of redline... which is like 12k on my 9R

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you once again. I feel like a sponge, what happens when I get too much information? Will I pull a "Homer Simpson" and have other useful knowledge go out? I already can't remember what I did on like Tuesday of this week nor can I remember other important things (like calling mom once a week, ooopsie)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Car to motorcycle analogies are not good ones. They may have similar named components and concepts but a skill on one doesnt transfer to a skill on another. I had a friend hop on anothers bike, thinking it was his rx7, he gave it gas and dumped the clutch. 10 feet later he was f'ed up.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Jk you have a good point... everytime I test drive a car (like a Mazda 3 a few weeks back) I end up bangin the rev limited, tryingto drive it like a bike and not realizing I don't have the revs or the power... OH well!

Graff.... we try our best to convay the best info we can! We have alot of knowledgable people on TWF!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Gas Man said:
Jk you have a good point... everytime I test drive a car (like a Mazda 3 a few weeks back) I end up bangin the rev limited, tryingto drive it like a bike and not realizing I don't have the revs or the power... OH well!

Graff.... we try our best to convay the best info we can! We have alot of knowledgable people on TWF!
Deffinately! I ride so much that i nearly forget how to drive. Especially in the braking dept. Cars get all out of shape when you brake deep. :lol:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah I was enjoying the stick shift and the desently high reving 4 cyl in the car but it just didn't have the power or the R's to get me too excited... I banged the rev limiter at least 4 or 5 times... it was funny!!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Im sure the sales man appreciated that! When i test drove a WRX the salesman was real cool and i kinda dogged the car a little. But after that i REALLY wanted the car!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The salesman wasn't with me!! If the salesman goes with me I won't buy the car! Besides, I was looking for a girlfriend of mine... she made me go, so I figured I better have some fun!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JK_DILLA said:
Im sure the sales man appreciated that! When i test drove a WRX the salesman was real cool and i kinda dogged the car a little. But after that i REALLY wanted the car!

Hey JK, one of those wanted to race me yesterday down the "Academy 500" here in Colorado Springs. I didn't, well I kinda did. I played with him between one light and then we got to the other which was red. We were online and I revved it, so did he. My guess is that he didn't see the cop like 3/4 mile away. He nailed it, spun tires and all, shot off the light and then got pulled over. I passed by waiving. I thought that it was funny.

That was the first time that I found out the 05 R6 can easily make it up on one wheel. Needless to say I think I pissed myself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As a new rider I would suggest that you "try" to keep your rpm range below 8k at most of the time (not to say that you absolutely can't go above that) The power within the i4 usually wakes up above 8-9k rpm and that's where all the real power starts to come out. By keeping it in the lower rpm @ your riding level, it'll lessen the chance of you doing something wrong and not being prepared for it. Get to know ur bike in the lower rpm first and then gradually ride at a higher rpm to see what the differences are. But please take it slow... I don't think anyone could have gotten "a hang" of a 600cc sportbike in two days... heck it told me over a month before I had the confidence to ride my 250 in the street.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ya I'd get to know the bike first . Then up the RPM'S - speed as my experance ( skill level ) grows . When you dont have to think about shiftin , blippin on down shifts , lookin at the tech , panic stops . Then your startin to get the hang of " the 600 " . :2cents:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts