Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as I stated in a previous thread. I recently bought my first jacket. I ordered an Icon Team Merc jacket, the black one from their brand new catalog. This is the jacket...

Icon Team Merc Black jacket

It also looks like this on their site, but you get a better pic there.

One problem, the jacket does NOT look exactly like this. It's actually all black. Not a big thing, but I was a little disappointed. I did decide to write to Icon and mention this, this is the response I got...

Hello, I recently purchased your Team Merc Jacket, the black version from Lee's Performance. I just wanted to ask, I had got the jacket based on the pic in your catalog, the same pic on your site. The pic shows the jacket as prominently black with white. Although the actual jacket I recieved is completely black. I was a little disapponted. Is this correct? Is the jacket somehow wrong, or your pictures misleading? Thanks for any help.

- - The images can not change in the catalog but they were supposed to be updated on our website but haven't yet. The all black Team Merc jacket is the correct jacket not what is in the pictures.

Antoinette
ICON
Seems kinda bogus. The images can't change, but at what point was the jacket changed? This pic has obviously spread to any & all advertising for the jacket, and they don't seem to be in any big hurry to fix this. Not exactly the best customer service approach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
i would send it back, or try to talk to one of the higher ups of the company about it. That's almost or actually is false advertisement. does the site say any where that the pics aren't always the same as the actual product or what? I'd be heated if that happened to me. i wouldn't settle for her lame answer. Save that reply to to read or e-mail the higher ups too. that sh_t is f_cked up!!
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Yeah that does suck on thier behalf. But I bet you didn't get it from Icon. So you would be screwing the dealer/website you got it from. And it really isn't their fault. Didn't you say you got it from SpeedWerks....

I guess, if they're allowed, a website could take a pic of it their selves and use that instead of what Icon gives them... but then again I know that Icon is pretty picky about their dealers advertisements and stuff....

Maybe SpeedWerks can comment about this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Dude, if you wanted a jacket like the pic.... that's a whole lot different than just black. I 'd be raisin' some he$$ and asking for the right shyyyt. :bash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah that does suck on thier behalf. But I bet you didn't get it from Icon. So you would be screwing the dealer/website you got it from. And it really isn't their fault. Didn't you say you got it from SpeedWerks....

I guess, if they're allowed, a website could take a pic of it their selves and use that instead of what Icon gives them... but then again I know that Icon is pretty picky about their dealers advertisements and stuff....

Maybe SpeedWerks can comment about this...

No...he got it from "Lee's Performance".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Jaymax... next time order from SpeedWerks at least then you could get in contact with them a lot easier.. and get truthful answers, up front. However if you feel that you have received something that you should not have, return it... Money is the only way that a some venders will listen to you... but that's your choice.... :luck:

- :twfrox:

_________
5 yards down
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Well glad to hear that it wasn't SpeedWerks messin up... :D

Yeah, Low may have a point! Money talks and BS walks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
i would def get icon gear from speedwerks, hes got it dirt cheap. lol and there awsome ppl to deal with.

but on the subject i would send that shiot back and make them give you what you ordered or at least give you a free pair of gloves. or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
SpeedWerks Rocks.


Sorry...had to throw that in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
JayMax said:
Seems kinda bogus. The images can't change, but at what point was the jacket changed? This pic has obviously spread to any & all advertising for the jacket, and they don't seem to be in any big hurry to fix this. Not exactly the best customer service approach.
Okay, so what do you want them to do about it? For whatever reason, they discontinued that version of the jacket. The jacket has now been updated on their site and shows the correct all black version.

It's simple if you ask me, if you don't like it return it. Did you order it from Icon or another vendor. I know for a fact that if you ordered if from Icon, they will take it back. If you ordered it from another dealer, then try there. I've even heard of Icon directly replacing products that people bought from other distributors.

People make mistakes, and I didn't find her email that offensive. She answered your questions. If you would have included what you wanted to do about it, I'm sure she would have responded to that as well. I've dealt with Antoinette before, she has always been very helpful and responsive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
well seeing at the jacket just came out like a couple of weeks ago i dont thing its discontinues and its the color that they show all over the place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
The pictures were probably of prototypes which obviously have changed since production. I just don't see what the problem is here. The jacket color scheme on that other website and the current catalogs are not available. Either stick with the black, or exchange it for the white/black version. :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
As a customer service representative she should have brought forth some suggestions.

Example: "If that wasn't the jacket you were looking for we can exchange it or have you return it for a full refund including shipping."

She wasn't rude, but she didn't really reach out to a misled customer either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Big Kahuna said:
The pictures were probably of prototypes which obviously have changed since production. I just don't see what the problem is here. The jacket color scheme on that other website and the current catalogs are not available. Either stick with the black, or exchange it for the white/black version. :scratch:
The problem is that ICON has made absolutely NO effort to change the pictures. Yet they freely distributed the pics as is, knowing the pictures are incorrect. After all with your logic, that pic is a prototype, there maybe NO white/black version. That version maybe all white. Who knows, no version maybe white and another color. There is no way to know.

I know my friend no longer wants to chance ordering a jacket.

Thank you Becca, those were my thoughts were exactly.

Update: They've since updated the website, and now the correct jacket is shown. Good for Icon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Icon has already changed the images on their site, and unfortunately can't control what every other website puts out on their site and when the update their content. I would be more upset with the place you bought the jacket from for not informing you that the jacket has changed. Have you notified them of your dissatisfaction?

I think it's funny that people prefer to sit around and complain about things instead of doing something about it. You sent one email and from that response you guys have fabricated all sorts of different stories of what Icon is doing or not doing. I find it much easier to go to the source rather than bitch about how I think things are. Obviously this is still an important point with you, so why don't you send Icon another email requesting more information about what they are going to do about the problem.

I'll be emailing Icon today to find out what's going on with the change in their lineup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
There may be Legal recourse... to be had with that company... get back in contact with not only Icon but also the company and speak to a manager and I bet one mention of the FTC act concerning False Advertising... and they will change there song and dance... the Law works both ways.. You just have to know how to use it...:wink:

False Advertising
Any advertising which is misleading in any material respect is considered to be false advertising. An advertisement is considered misleading if it fails to disclose facts which are important in light of what is stated in the advertisement, or facts which are relevant in the light of the customary use of the product.

Consumers who have suffered damages from a business’ use of false advertising are entitled to file a civil suit for recovery. The Attorney General is also empowered to sue for false advertisement on behalf of the State of New York.[2] The use of false advertisement also carries criminal penalties to the extent that it is a misdemeanor under the Penal Law.[3]

It is also a misdemeanor for an advertiser to overlook or refuse to disclose whether it is a dealer in the goods being advertised. The same penalties apply to advertisers who fail to disclose to the media carrying their advertisement the true name and address of the advertiser.[4] Newspapers, television, and radio stations can not be held liable for false advertising for the false statements in an advertisement.
Information Link here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big Kahuna said:
Icon has already changed the images on their site, and unfortunately can't control what every other website puts out on their site and when the update their content. I would be more upset with the place you bought the jacket from for not informing you that the jacket has changed. Have you notified them of your dissatisfaction?

I think it's funny that people prefer to sit around and complain about things instead of doing something about it. You sent one email and from that response you guys have fabricated all sorts of different stories of what Icon is doing or not doing. I find it much easier to go to the source rather than bitch about how I think things are. Obviously this is still an important point with you, so why don't you send Icon another email requesting more information about what they are going to do about the problem.

I'll be emailing Icon today to find out what's going on with the change in their lineup.

Not to be rude, Big Kahuna, but the only fabrications thus far have been the ones you've made on my part. I actually have emailed Icon again, but didn't feel the need to share it. I think I did mention I was disappointed, but I didn't say I was returning it. I did hope that Icon would change their pics, so no one else would make a poorly informed decision. And they have.

Yes, they've been notified, the response at best was tepid.

They could control what is on other websites, if they sent the correct pics out, just as they sent the prototype pics. After all, what can the resellers go by?

I also think I clearly stated that the jacket was picked up at Lee's Performance. I'll clarify, not purchased. I ordered the jacket from the BRAND NEW Icon catalog that the Icon representative left them to order from. There would no need to 'bitch' to Lee's, they merely ordered from the catalog that the Icon rep left them to order with. They didn't realize the jacket had changed any more than I had, until it showed up. 2 weeks later than Icon had told them.

As I stated with the thread title, I merely hoped to pass on some info about the jackets, in case any else was interested in getting the same jacket. I've benefitted from the info left here about other products, I wanted to do the same.

I apologize for any misperceptions.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
JayMax said:
As I stated with the thread title, I merely hoped to pass on some info about the jackets, in case any else was interested in getting the same jacket. I've benefitted from the info left here about other products, I wanted to do the same.

I apologize for any misperceptions.

That's the value of TwohWheelForum! I, for one, appreciate your candidness in sharing your experience, as I'm many others do as well.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top