Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 GSXR 1000 with about 3,000 miles on it and have recently noticed smoke coming out of my pipe when I first start it up and rev it. And once after a long ride I stopped and turned it off and smoke consistently came from my pipe for about 30 seconds. What's goin' on???

Also, I put on a Yosh half-system w/ a K&N Airfilter...do I need to re-jet my bike? Or do anything else? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
It's a GSXR isn't it?!? Don't worry about it, it is just eating itself from the inside out! :lol: J/K!!!!

Do you ride it hard...really? Do you park it outside? Stock can? You wouldn't be so lucky to have bought a extended warrenty?!?

Maybe Larry will have some insight!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have whatever the factory put in after my first oil change. So I'm not too sure exactly what's in there. My first and only thought is that it has to be oil leaking somewhere...so where could this be coming from...it's brand new!!! Only 3K miles on it. It's still under the 1 year warranty so maybe I should get it checked out...

Would changing my oil again help it? What oil do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
sherwood said:
I have whatever the factory put in after my first oil change. So I'm not too sure exactly what's in there. My first and only thought is that it has to be oil leaking somewhere...so where could this be coming from...it's brand new!!! Only 3K miles on it. It's still under the 1 year warranty so maybe I should get it checked out...

Would changing my oil again help it? What oil do you guys recommend?

Its under warranty still. Don't stress it. Take it to them and let them find it and fix it.

And welcome to TWF. Be sure to sign in to the newbie thread. :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm with DJ!! You're wastin too much time talkin about it. Just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
OK, relax a second here. First of all, have you checked your oil level and are you loosing any? Second, if it is smoking out the end of the pipe, you probably are not leaking it there, it is coming from the motor. Third, what color/smell does the smoke have?

Also take into account that most aftermarket exhaust systems will smoke the first couple of times you ride with them installed and sometimes need a good hard run to burn off the oils from production. In addition, your combination of the pipe and air fliter could have you running lean causing the pipe to get hotter than normal and burning off some of the packing material.

One other thing, don't rev the bike when you start it. Let it warm up a little before you get on it.

Larry

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
larryg said:
OK, relax a second here. First of all, have you checked your oil level and are you loosing any? Second, if it is smoking out the end of the pipe, you probably are not leaking it there, it is coming from the motor. Third, what color/smell does the smoke have?

Also take into account that most aftermarket exhaust systems will smoke the first couple of times you ride with them installed and sometimes need a good hard run to burn off the oils from production. In addition, your combination of the pipe and air fliter could have you running lean causing the pipe to get hotter than normal and burning off some of the packing material.

One other thing, don't rev the bike when you start it. Let it warm up a little before you get on it.

Larry
and the voice of reason finally kicks in ...thanks larry! :)

word the wise too about that letting the bike warm up...take it from experience..

·
Registered
133 Posts
sherwood said:
I have an '03 GSXR 1000 with about 3,000 miles on it and have recently noticed smoke coming out of my pipe when I first start it up and rev it. And once after a long ride I stopped and turned it off and smoke consistently came from my pipe for about 30 seconds. What's goin' on???

Also, I put on a Yosh half-system w/ a K&N Airfilter...do I need to re-jet my bike? Or do anything else? Thanks for the help.

Ryan
DUUUHHHHH!!! It's an exhaust pipe!! It's not the fountain of youth!!! What did you expect would come out of? Apple Cider? French Perfume? Maple Syrup?

Sorry, Couldn't resist. Othen then my obvious intuition, Larry has you covered. Need to know what color, very important. Theroize all you want, but it's under warranty so F'it, it's winter time, let the dealership screw with it.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
cerveja said:
DUUUHHHHH!!! It's an exhaust pipe!! It's not the fountain of youth!!! What did you expect would come out of? Apple Cider? French Perfume? Maple Syrup?

Sorry, Couldn't resist. Othen then my obvious intuition, Larry has you covered. Need to know what color, very important. Theroize all you want, but it's under warranty so F'it, it's winter time, let the dealership screw with it.

Nicely put there cerveja. Now all you have to do is post more. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Now all you have to do is post more. :dthumb:
:jacked: :jacked: we have a thread for that kinda crap now!! :D

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Got to love Dyno takin my job and pointing out the obvious!! Thanks man!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Mojo said:
Burning coolant smells like maple syrup. :)

it does? never realized that.. wonder if it tastes the same too! :D

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
.. wonder if it tastes the same too! :D

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:

first off, I didnt jack this thread, so you can take that thread highjack stuff and stick it somewhere else... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
first off, I didnt jack this thread, so you can take that thread highjack stuff and stick it somewhere else... :rolleyes:

There you go still... :jacked: :jacked: :jacked:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
There you go still... :jacked: :jacked: :jacked:
you really need to put down the sippy cup and play toys ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts