Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other...

Votes: 6 27.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a spin-off from DJ's thread about speed...and we all have similar feelings as to why we do it..the raw human need for an adrenaline rush now and then, to get to work quicker, just bored, track times, etc. All excellent answers.

BUT..overall, why do we ride, what is it about riding in general that keeps us constantly workin on our rides to keep them in top shape, spending every second possible on the bikes during the riding season, taking cross-country trips on 2 wheels..etc.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant imagine spending every day in the summer,spring & fall on 4 wheels in a cage..its bad enuff we have to do it in the winter around here....its just something that only a rider could understand for sure, and once you do it, ur usually hooked for life.

Pure enjoyment, relaxation, and adrenaline all rolled up into one..where else can you get that ??

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
For me it is the fun and excitement from two wheels. Being able to go from 60-70mph to over 120 in a matter of a few seconds. Seeing how far you can push yourself and to what limits you find yourself at the next time. :)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I love to ride for many reasons.

To get away from the daily routine, the love of 2 wheels, and the brother hood of MC riders. Some but not all my reasons. Good thread N4S! :dthumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's fun. I like the feeling of being one with the bike. Kinda lame...but that's it. If I lived in a place like NC or California, I'd probably be divorced. Luckily the wife likes to ride too (not on back) and she will be getting her own bike again once the kids are older. So she's really understanding with me and my ride time. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Because not everyone does it... It's one of the few things that puts you into the environment as you travel... Ever ridden through an orchard of peaches when they're ripe?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I rode my friends 04 636 and i got hooked.. I always liked bikes but not untill I rode one did i actually REALLY want one. Now i need a bike ASAP, Im goin to college, im 18, and im gonna be in debt.. but I dont care I'll have a bike to escape from it all.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Almost every time I ride, I remind myself "this" is what it's all about. There's nothing like it. :redmc:
Mojo There's no feeling like it. There are few things I'd rather do

DJ For me it is the fun and excitement from two wheels. Being able to go from 60-70mph to over 120 in a matter of a few seconds. Seeing how far you can push yourself and to what limits you find yourself at the next time.

Gas Man To get away from the daily routine, the love of 2 wheels, and the brother hood of MC riders.

Heath3n To get away from the daily routine, the love of 2 wheels, and the brother hood of MC riders.

Scorpion Ever ridden through an orchard of peaches when they're ripe?

I guess in the American Way, I am a melting pot of many reasons, But I believe I ride, because I can. We are living in the only part of the planet where we have the freedom to choose to ride these marvelous machines that bring us so much joy. I don't have to go 100 mph around a 35mph curve to feel alive...I can feel that way cruising along US 98 beside the Gulf of Mexico at 6.30 am, running the posted speed. The sight of daybreak, the smell of the gulf, the sounds of the birds against the purring of my inline 4, feeling all the tension and BS of this hurry-up, got to be somewhere, don't have enough time world, drain out of me and fall to the ground like rain water. It doesn't matter what kind of sewage has rolled downhill on me today...I get on my therapy machine, and the bee flies me off to Grin Land. So I guess that's why I ride.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I voted for 'Allows me to escape everyday life and be a rebel' but I could have voted for any of the first three. Can I change my vote to 'Cuz chicks dig bikes!?' I think that one most describes why I ride... because I like bikes!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
:) I voted the "Guys on bikes are cool" Seriously, I really do love to see a guy on a MC. Until I met DJ I never really paid much attention. To me they were just another guy on a bike. His passion and love for them really made me interested in them. Now I always notice a Guy ...or Girl on one and I smile because I know they are in heaven and I do know that feeling! Right now I only know the feeling of being on the back and just putting arms around him but even that is a great feeling for me! :eek: *sniff sniff* K, I'm done being all sentimental and stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is no option that says "because guys dig chics on bikes".... lol, thats not really why i ride, just an added advantage. I love to ride because i feel free, i love the speed, and i love the turns... Like someone already mentioned, its a feeling that you can't really describe (which im sure all of you know)... i chose 'its in my blood' because my dad got me into riding.

Nichole

·
Registered
29 Posts
i voted for the first one, my bike is my therapist :D i don't ride because of what other people think, hell if i cared what other think i don't think i'd of gotten a TL. To me there is no better feeling that throwing your leg over a bike, and blazing down the road. People that don't ride, don't understand the freedom you feel from riding. My old roommated didn't understand untill he bought a bike and got that same **** eating grin i have when i get off mine. i still absolutly love the sound of my bike when i start it up in the morning, it brings a smile to my face.

i'm also somewhat of a gear head and enjoy wrenching on my own bike. i try to do 99% of the work myself. pretty much everything except the tire mounting and balancing.

matt

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't know what it is exactly. When was about 9 I got on a Big Red 3 wheeler and drove my parents crazy until I could get my own ATV. I've always loved riding ATVs and bikes. . waited 10 years, which was probably a good thing, to get my street bike.

It probably has something to do with the fact that I just like speed, whether it's on snow skiis or in my car. . but on a bike it's that much more amplified. I love it.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pigface1 said:
I don't know what it is exactly. When was about 9 I got on a Big Red 3 wheeler and drove my parents crazy until I could get my own ATV. I've always loved riding ATVs and bikes. .

Dude, I started out on the same thing..well I moved from an ATC 110, then up to a big red..that was a blast!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
For me it is the fun and excitement from two wheels. Being able to go from 60-70mph to over 120 in a matter of a few seconds. Seeing how far you can push yourself and to what limits you find yourself at the next time. :)
:iagree: right on

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, it's not really to escape everyday life, but I suppose that it does happen. Mainly I just enjoy riding. There is just something about it that makes you feel free. Plus I LOVE corners. :redmc:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Seriously...

OK, I gotta admit, I wasn't serious when I cast my vote, but seeing that the thread is on the serious side, I will sum it up with a Line from the movie "Shawshank Redemption"..... "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying" I won't go into the whole why and how that this became my life motto, I just think there is a lot of truth in that one sentence.

PS...Only 7 more posts to Rookie Status.. WoooHoooo

:redmc:
Steve.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts