Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not done yet, but we dont' have much time left. Only bike related things I know of in the off season are the few shows that we get around... the cycle world one, and a car/bike show at Novi expo center... Anything else? What else do ya do to pass the time til spring?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
Ride snowmobiles, ski, hunt, watch football, whatever you can do to get your adrealine fix... That is what I do... Winter is not all that bad.. A trip to Vegas mid-winter is nice - bet on football, roulette, enjoy the sun, etc. Other than that it makes you appreciate the riding season even more...

"Grab a gun, grab a knife, even hands will do...."
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Man I don't know!! This is a never ending problem with WOS during the winter time. We will go see movies, BBQ, pool halls, and whatver else we can do to hang out!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
We should get a WOS Snowmobile trip this year! About $200 gets you a rental sled for the day... I am doing it regardless but it would be a blast to get like 10-15 peepz out there and TEAR IT UP...
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Where abouts??? I see TONS & TONS of sleders in the Gaylord/Mancelona area
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
I know its not done yet, but we dont' have much time left. Only bike related things I know of in the off season are the few shows that we get around... the cycle world one, and a car/bike show at Novi expo center... Anything else? What else do ya do to pass the time til spring?

You come to FLA and go for a flight with the Bumblebee...It has been exceptionally georgeous here and with flights leaving the garage almost daily to visit the Gulf of Mexico and take a blast lap through the forest back to Tally you will forget all about that cold drizzle that will freeze into ice and make everything look look a crispy creme
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Y'all up for catchin' a Red Wings game at the Joe? :cursin:

If we do I'll be sure to think of you and take lots of pics!!!
 

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wishing I had a trailer. I would take a trip like you suggest if I did bumblebee!

I know the Buick can handle it... it is rated to tow 1000 lbs, which with a small trailer and my bike is well under that.. Only problem is getting a hitch put on... is it a bitch/really expensive to get that kind of thing done?
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Just buy a truck and you're all set!!! I have one for sale.... :dthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
There's also Kart 2 Kart, an indoor go-kart racing facility located in Norhtern Sterling Heights. That's always a blast and a good way to get an adrenaline fix.

As far as fixing a reciever hitch to your car. Usually not a problem. A class two hitch for a car should be around $100 to $150 for a car. Don't cheap out and get a bumper mounted hitch (class one) that bolts through your rear fascia and into your reinforcement. Those were fine when bumpers were chrome and a quarter inch thick. Modern fascias are designed to get run into, not to take a load. You won't be happy with the fit and appearance of the hitch or the huge holes and scratch marks left on your fasica after only one or two uses.

You can usually rent them for a week or a weekend through most rental places, U-Haul I know used to rent them to you when you rented a trailer. They would also sell them to you for a few dollars more. There are a few small hardware stores and many local rental places that sell them. You can also try online, there are a number of hitch companies that make after market custom hitches and "some assembly req'd" bolt together units for the aftermarket business. If you are going to make the trip to Florida, you may want to pick up a tranny cooler before you go. Sure beats spending two days in Back Water BFE while someone rips out what once was a perfectly good transmission 1,000 miles ago. Make sure your trailer is well balanced. Usually a car is rated at 100 tongue, 1,000 load. You would be surprised how little weight it takes to generate 100 pounds of weight on the tongue. The last thing you want is your front wheel drive car heavily weighted in the back while you are trying to corner through the mountains with the front wheels dancing all over the road. A bathroom scale under the ball of the trailer will tell you where you are on your tongue weight.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
All good ideas and points....Just get a truck!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
I'm wishing I had a trailer. I would take a trip like you suggest if I did bumblebee!

I know the Buick can handle it... it is rated to tow 1000 lbs, which with a small trailer and my bike is well under that.. Only problem is getting a hitch put on... is it a bitch/really expensive to get that kind of thing done?
Uhaul put hitch and pigtail on for under $250. on my 04 Dakota Quad cab in August.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
I turn to my computer and maintenance tasks in the winter. The kart usually needs to be torn down, cleaned, inspected, and put back together. I'm looking forward to learning more about bikes by performing the little stuff myself this winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Kart2Kart - we have a league in the winter for our car magazine. Might be time to incorporate 2WT into that....here are the details...


It's time again motorsports fans!

Our annual S3 Winter Karting Series schedule has been set for this year.

When: The following Wednesdays, 7-9pm (be there at 7pm sharp!)
Dec 8
Jan 5
Jan 19
Feb 2
Feb 16
Mar 2
Mar 16
Mar 30

Location: Kart2Kart, near SW corner of 19 Mile Rd and Van ****. www.kart2kart.com (586) 997-8800.

Cost: $41 includes everything you need to race - helmet, neck collar, etc.

Format: TWO 8-10 minute qualifying sessions, ONE 8-10 minute race. Races are broken up into groups based on best lap in qualifying.

Anyone is welcome, bring a friend! In past years we have had 40+ racers per event, consisting of experienced pros through rookies - both male and female. With our format, you are sure to have someone to race with no matter how fast or slow you are.

Points: Points will be awarded NASCAR style (the only system that awards points far enough down the list). There are 8 race dates - your points total will include your best 6. This allows you to miss up to 2 events without being penalized by work, spouse, kids, and/or other pesky commitments. You do not need to run for the points if you don't want to - just show up and have fun when your schedule permits.

Awards: The final event will feature an awards ceremony along with pizza/pop for all participants. Awards for the top 5 will consist of trophies and other prizes courtesy of S3 partners/sponsors/advertisers. This year we have some really cool stuff.

Driving Courtesy: For the most part everyone is well behaved on-track. While this is a "fun" series, we do strongly discourage rough driving, putting people in the wall, and the bump pass. If you're going to try a pass, make it CLEAN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
Thanks for the hitch input guys!
Screw that. Pickle I didn't see the hitch comment. You want one? I can get you one made, I have connections with alot of shops - they make them all the time. Let me know, unless you want to waste $250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
2WheelTuner said:
Kart2Kart - we have a league in the winter for our car magazine. Might be time to incorporate 2WT into that....here are the details...


It's time again motorsports fans!

Our annual S3 Winter Karting Series schedule has been set for this year.

When: The following Wednesdays, 7-9pm (be there at 7pm sharp!)
Dec 8
Jan 5
Jan 19
Feb 2
Feb 16
Mar 2
Mar 16
Mar 30

Location: Kart2Kart, near SW corner of 19 Mile Rd and Van ****. www.kart2kart.com (586) 997-8800.

Cost: $41 includes everything you need to race - helmet, neck collar, etc.

Format: TWO 8-10 minute qualifying sessions, ONE 8-10 minute race. Races are broken up into groups based on best lap in qualifying.

Anyone is welcome, bring a friend! In past years we have had 40+ racers per event, consisting of experienced pros through rookies - both male and female. With our format, you are sure to have someone to race with no matter how fast or slow you are.

Points: Points will be awarded NASCAR style (the only system that awards points far enough down the list). There are 8 race dates - your points total will include your best 6. This allows you to miss up to 2 events without being penalized by work, spouse, kids, and/or other pesky commitments. You do not need to run for the points if you don't want to - just show up and have fun when your schedule permits.

Awards: The final event will feature an awards ceremony along with pizza/pop for all participants. Awards for the top 5 will consist of trophies and other prizes courtesy of S3 partners/sponsors/advertisers. This year we have some really cool stuff.

Driving Courtesy: For the most part everyone is well behaved on-track. While this is a "fun" series, we do strongly discourage rough driving, putting people in the wall, and the bump pass. If you're going to try a pass, make it CLEAN.
Man that sounds awesome. I definately am going to check that out. I didn't know you needed a Hans device to race carts? Are they nitrous equipped or something?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top