Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link

Click above for full article...

Anyone who has traveled on a motorcycle understands the touring conundrum: Fun and nimble motorcycle loaded down with only minimal luggage; or, a truckish touring rig that can dissuade its rider from taking the squiggly lines on a map.

All that's really needed for a sport-touring trip is a tank bag slapped on a sportbike, perhaps augmented by a couple of soft saddlebags for a longer trip. Of course, your contact points with the bike—the seat, handlebars and footpegs—will be subject to the same beating they do on your Sunday morning blasts, only amplified over the hours spent in the saddle.

You kids out there might be surprised to learn that the age of the average motorcyclist is somewhere between 40 and 45. And since there's a bit of a speed freak in nearly every one of them, there exists a market of those who are thrilled with the rush a bike can bring to their lives, all the while coddling its rider as the miles wear on.

continued

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Jeebus, no wonder you put up link.its 8 pages long.. :eek: will give me some good reading tonite at work, :D

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
At this age, I'd rather ride the curves than haul saddle bags, etc. I'll trailer my bike to the curves if they're too far away, then have fun on them. :lol: One day when I'm old and don't care about speed and handling, I might buy a cruiser.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
No Worries said:
When I don't care about handling anymore, I'll buy a casket. ;)

now there's a quote to live by!!! :cool:

i just dont know if I can ever see myself on anything less than a sport-tourer..u gotta have some kinda power/handling to go along with the xperience.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
At this age, I'd rather ride the curves than haul saddle bags, etc. I'll trailer my bike to the curves if they're too far away, then have fun on them. :lol: One day when I'm old and don't care about speed and handling, I might buy a cruiser.
You may be surprised how well some of these sport-touring bikes handle ;)
Few people on this board think just because they bought a sport bike they can take their bikes to their handling limits :lol:
Put professional racer on some of these sport-touring bikes, bet he would beat 98% of sport bike owners on this board :yesnod:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Now about the sport-tourer bikes...Matt(N4S) owns one, I used to own one(94Suzuki RF900RR), and I know a few other ppl that do as well. They may have this title due to the gearing or a few other reasons. However, just because your bike or someone elses bike is classified as one doesn't mean that it proforms a lot different then a bike thats not classified as one. being an ex sport-tourer rider myself, I know that they can keep up with the best of them just as well. Alot of it has to do with the rider that is on it and how well of a rider he is. My old bike handle great and gave me the power I needed when I needed it.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
The sport-tourers may not also having the cutting edge HP/Torque of your total ball$ out sportbikes, 1000RR's, Gixxers, etc...but anybody who rides one and knows how to ride it will tell you, you can have a blast on them. The seating position & ergos in general are very user friendly and well placed. They have more than enough useable low end power as well as top end punch to get that grin on ur face nice n big! :D

Plus it doesnt take much to add some HP and other neato mods to them like Jet kits, ign. advancers, smaller sprockets etc, to give them alittle more umph if you feel the need. Its the best of both worlds, comfort and performance.

I'd also say the rider is the main cog in any machine when trying to get the most you can out of each ride. But as long as you have fun, thats all that matters.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think it would be real easy to make an R1, 1000RR, or whatever into a sport-tourer. By adding a taller windscreen, handlebar conversion, and tank bag, you can enjoy the trip to Utah and it's canyons. Be a lot easier than trying to cut some weight off the real sport-tourers.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
No Worries said:
I think it would be real easy to make an R1, 1000RR, or whatever into a sport-tourer. By adding a taller windscreen, handlebar conversion, and tank bag, you can enjoy the trip to Utah and it's canyons. Be a lot easier than trying to cut some weight off the real sport-tourers.

the handle bar conversion would be the main thing..once u get that outta the way, ur good to go. than height makes all the difference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts