Two Wheel Forums banner

steering dampeners

4K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
could some one please give me the pros and cons of a dampener? i'm thinkin about getting one with my return money but i want to know for sure if it's worth it. thanks :dthumb:

#5 ·
i was gonna get a scotts but i think im gonna go with a hyperpro or ohlins, shaft style. just a personal preference i think they look nicer and there harder to steal. i also heard of dead spots in the scotts style. and ohlins makes a rotary style damper but they dont advertise it for sportbikes, makes me think a little. just my .02 cents

#6 ·
Oops...you're way off... Ohlins rotart style is made by Scotts!!! And dead spots???? I don't think so.... but enjoy your shaft especially when it get's all mangled in a simple low side.... :2cents:

#7 ·
Dead spots....They are caused by the consumer not checking the oil level in the dampener after the break in period. The fluid lever drops and causes the dampner too have dead spots. The fault of this is the consumers for not reading the damn instructions. Also Ohins makes the scotts dampener. I think the green is clouding you brain.

#8 ·
I think we debated this A LONG TIME ago... I think its the other way around!!

O, and don't get me wrong the Ohins stuff is GREAT stuff. Heck in a few more weeks, I'll even have Ohins oil in my front forks!!

#12 ·
I believe we went thru this a long time ago here... other way around being that Scotts makes the Ohins rotary..... but it don't matter.... Ohins stuff rocks... and so does the Scotts steering stabalizer... this shouldn't be in question! You even have one...

#13 ·
Gas Man said:
I believe we went thru this a long time ago here... other way around being that Scotts makes the Ohins rotary..... but it don't matter.... Ohins stuff rocks... and so does the Scotts steering stabalizer... this shouldn't be in question! You even have one...

Yeah I know because they ROCK! The deadspots are caused user error not the dampener.

#17 ·
GsxrJack said:
seen it spelt both ways...damper and dampner... dont know which is correct...
damper is the correct way. I just wanted to give some people some crap for it. I'd say most people say it wrong. I had a prof in grad school, we were talking dampers, and this guy kept calling it a dampner, and the prof kept ragging on him...pretty funny. But, honestly, it's damper and if you don't believe me, look it up or visit Gasmans link above to the Scott's site. Just trying to keep my TWF brothers and sisters informed!!! Not trying to be a smarty pants!!!!!!!

#19 ·
As twisty said, we are definitely a little high on Scott's stuff. It's due to which distributor you use and what type of volume you do with each one. Unfortunately, our biggest volume isn't done with the Scott's people.

Chev, as I said in my PM, we'd be more than happy to help you, but you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else. :dthumb:

And yes, it's DAMPER. :)

#20 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
As twisty said, we are definitely a little high on Scott's stuff. It's due to which distributor you use and what type of volume you do with each one. Unfortunately, our biggest volume isn't done with the Scott's people.

Chev, as I said in my PM, we'd be more than happy to help you, but you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else. :dthumb:

And yes, it's DAMPER. :)
But you guys have an awsome deal on the race chains, very nice indeed. :cheers:

#21 ·
Anyway, get a Scotts Stabalizer....

You can try EBay but not usually much on there for the Scotts....otherwise kneedraggers is probably going to be your best bet! But it going to cost you 300-425

#24 ·
twisty said:
But you guys have an awsome deal on the race chains, very nice indeed. :cheers:
The majority of our stuff we have great deals on, and you guys get an additional discount off our site prices for being a TWF member. There's just some "select" brands that we can't really give great deals on. Hopefully as we get bigger we'll acquire more dealer accounts, but for right now there just some stuff that we can't really do great prices on. :(

So when does the WERA series kick up for you? I know Mid-A starts next weekend! It's still friggin' winter!!!!!!

#25 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
The majority of our stuff we have great deals on, and you guys get an additional discount off our site prices for being a TWF member. There's just some "select" brands that we can't really give great deals on. Hopefully as we get bigger we'll acquire more dealer accounts, but for right now there just some stuff that we can't really do great prices on. :(

So when does the WERA series kick up for you? I know Mid-A starts next weekend! It's still friggin' winter!!!!!!

Not till next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.