Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Steering Damper

Hyperpro vs. Scotts vs. GPR. what is your opinion for ppl that have them. iknow scotts is probably one the the most popular but they say hyperpro has active dampening. also does anyone know how they hold up in a crash. i was also considering GPR. i am getting one with tax return. reason is that i live in PA, the #1 worst paved roads in the USA. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
893 Posts
zx636r said:
Hyperpro vs. Scotts vs. GPR. what is your opinion for ppl that have them. iknow scotts is probably one the the most popular but they say hyperpro has active dampening. also does anyone know how they hold up in a crash. i was also considering GPR. i am getting one with tax return. reason is that i live in PA, the #1 worst paved roads in the USA. Thanks in advance
The GPR is an excellent product. We install a lot of them, and you definitely can't go wrong with one.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
:2cents: :2cents:

Scotts all the way!!!

How do they hold up in a crash, you ask?? They will survive over every other part in a total wipe out crash!

They have a complete 4-ways of adjustability and require nearly no service. Not to mention, that the Scotts can be removed from your 9R and put on your R6 with only 2 allen screws!!

Now there are some others like Ohlins, but you can get the Scotts for the same price if not cheaper! Either way, I would stay away from the shaft style. Too easy to mess up in most crashes!

Attached is a pic of my Scotts on my 9R!

:2cents: :2cents:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think the last thing id look for in a steering dampner is how well it holds up in a crash,,id be looking to more on how well it performs and dampens those tank slappers when the front end gets light.and one that has a wide range of adjustability..which just might keep u from crashing and wrecking it...I think most dampners can be rebuilt also...as long as u dont wad them up in a crash :lol:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that was my whole point GsxrJack i know that hyperpro, Scotts and GPR are top brands adn i just wnated to know which one to get. yes i know Ohlins would be the best but im not a millionare. the how they do in a crash was just an extra question. the main quesion is which one to get. i hear hyperpro has active dampening which automatially stiffins up at high speeds but then again it is a shaft but it costs 335 campared to 395 for a scotts. O and what is the best price anyone has found for any of these dampers.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Hey I was just answering what he wanted to know!!!

Scotts is still the best way to go!!!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup thats the kind of info i need GAS MAN. now i need someone to find a good price on one.

·
Registered
955 Posts
zx636r said:
that was my whole point GsxrJack i know that hyperpro, Scotts and GPR are top brands adn i just wnated to know which one to get. yes i know Ohlins would be the best but im not a millionare. the how they do in a crash was just an extra question. the main quesion is which one to get. i hear hyperpro has active dampening which automatially stiffins up at high speeds but then again it is a shaft but it costs 335 campared to 395 for a scotts. O and what is the best price anyone has found for any of these dampers.
it was just strange (not in a bad way, and i wasnt being a smart arse) to me....to ask how they held up in a crash..it was like asking what shock holds up best in a crash...just was wondering why u asked....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i souded like a smart arse in my reply also after i read it. sorry, i was just wondering cause it is a huge investment for you bike and i dont want it to break if i wreck casue i only want to buy one. not one everytime i wreck. but im sure if you wreck it that badk to damage a steering damper the bike is probably going to be totaled.

·
Registered
955 Posts
zx636r said:
yeah i souded like a smart arse in my reply also after i read it. sorry, i was just wondering cause it is a huge investment for you bike and i dont want it to break if i wreck casue i only want to buy one. not one everytime i wreck. but im sure if you wreck it that badk to damage a steering damper the bike is probably going to be totaled.
you didnt (sound like a smartarse), i just didnt want u think i was being one...(usually youll know when i am :cursin: ) it was just a strange question to me....lets face it, if you crash, replacing the dampner is gonna be the least of your worries...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i just wrecked my biek like in october. it cost 5200 just to fix the side farings and front fairing one fork tube and a clutch cover and other minor stuff.

So what are the best prices on dampers.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
GsxrJack said:
I think the last thing id look for in a steering dampner is how well it holds up in a crash,,id be looking to more on how well it performs and dampens those tank slappers when the front end gets light.and one that has a wide range of adjustability..which just might keep u from crashing and wrecking it...I think most dampners can be rebuilt also...as long as u dont wad them up in a crash :lol:

:lol: I wrecked on my scotts alot and it held up just fine. That is the only one I trust. I have never had a slapper I couldnt get out with it on. :smash:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I understand ya 636! You don't want to ruin a $400 damper/stabalizer in a small low side! I totally understand. The GSXR's place their shaft style in the front nose, which isn't half bad. But I know my 9R would hang out the left side and would get messed up in a driveway drop, for gods sake!!! Not sure how it is on your 636 but I totally get it!

I have never had anything close to any type of steering shake with my Scotts. As a matter of fact, I remember buzzin down I-96 west towards Brighton with Twisty. Me on my 9R (with the Scotts) and Twisty on his TLS (stock dampner). We were doing about 135 or so and after we hit those inline groves, Twisty got some major head shake and had to back out. I didn't feel anything!!!

The Scotts is just flat out great! I know that one of the other reasons Twisty has one, is cause he can purchase multiple mounts and 1 Stabalizer and switch from bike to bike! Why own 2 or 3? You are only going to ride 1 bike at a time!!

Now price.... $449.95 on Scotts website. If you know a local dealer that can hook you up, go for that angle. I don't know of any sites that will get you a real good deal. You just have to caugh up the cash. Maybe somebody else will know of a site...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
**** i dont want to dish out 450 cause the DOT here in PA dont wanna fix the roads. but hey that is what tax return is for right. BTW TWISTY watched the video on your WOS site, Nice riddin

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i think that is the one im going to get, SCOTTS. i think i can feel good about spending 450 on something that might save my life.

·
Registered
893 Posts
zx636r said:
yes i know Ohlins would be the best but im not a millionare. the how they do in a crash was just an extra question.
Actually, with Ohlins, you're just paying for the name. Other steering dampers work just as well and won't burn a hole in your pocket. Don't get me wrong, Ohlins stuff is great, but the cost for the damper isn't worth it compared to other brands that work just as well.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
Thanks, get a Scotts and you thank me in the morning. :lol:
See, I was preachin the Scotts even before Mr.Twisty, himself, even owned one on his team of GSXR's. Now he speaks the truth of the Holly Scotts Steering Stabalizer! :D

Seriously, it is not just for cra ppy roads. It will help you from getting a tank slapper for the many reasons such as coming down from a wheelie with the front wheelie not straight. But it is a wise ivestment, and will hopefully save you more than once.

Fig it this way... If you collision deductable is $500 and it saves you from going down even once, you got your money's worth out of it!! :dthumb:

:2cents:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol you said collision. what is that. i dont have that right not. i do have insurance though. its jsut in 2-3 years right now with full coverage it costs me more than the bike. but i am thinking of getting it, after i wrecked and the other person had to pay and it was 5200 for basically nothing

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Collision? Like your bike hits the pavement....or your bike "collided" with the pavement!

or

You and your bike collided with a 1998 Saturn and messed your $hit up!!!

Collision!! DUH! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts