Two Wheel Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suicide bomber at OU game last Saturday

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  ShanMan14 
#1 ·
I was at the game and it happened in the 2nd quarter. We heard it go off and there was no mistaking it for thunder, etc. After the game we hung around for maybe 10 minutes and left.

This article came out the day after the game or so.

Recently, it's come out that his Pakistani roommate has disappeared. Hinrich also attended the same mosque Moussaoui (al Qaeda op that was taking flying lesson in Norman a few years ago) went to.

Hinrich apparently tried to get into the game, but he wouldn't let them search his backpack, so he left. Apparently he was trying to attach the bomb to his body and head back into the game when it went off.

Bomb material found in student’s apartment

By Jane Glenn Cannon and Jennifer Jackson
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Local and federal law officers worked Sunday to remove what was described as a cache of explosive material from the apartment of a man who died in a bombing the night before.

8 p.m. Saturday
An explosion happens in a courtyard just west of George Lynn Cross Hall, the University of Oklahoma’s botany-microbiology building, during the second quarter of Oklahoma’s game against Kansas State. Investigators later determine Joel Henry Hinrichs III, 21, a engineering junior from Colorado Springs, Colo., died in the explosion.

About 9:05 p.m. Saturday
Police detonate an object found near the location of the first explosion. Investigators later determine the object was not an explosive. Spectators at the OU-Kansas State game are restricted to leaving the stadium on its east and south sides.

About 3 a.m. Sunday
Police show up at the Parkview Apartments, university-owned apartments just a short walk away from Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, string crime scene tape and begin searching Hinrichs’ apartment.

About 1:30 p.m. Sunday
Authorities reopen the University of Oklahoma’s South Oval.

About 2:45 p.m. Sunday
Norman Bomb Squad moves into the Parkview Apartments to prepare to remove explosive materials from Hinrichs’ apartment.

About 7:20 p.m. Sunday
Authorities begin removing materials from the apartment.
OU students react

Joel Henry Hinrichs III, 21, a junior from Colorado Springs, Colo., died in the explosion, FBI officials said.

Investigators believe Hinrichs detonated a bomb about 8 p.m. Saturday, just 100 yards away from a packed football stadium.

Officials confirmed Sunday a cache of explosive material later was found inside Hinrichs’ residence at the university- owned Parkview Apartments, southeast of Lindsey Street and Stinson Avenue.

The FBI, Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents and Norman police’s bomb squad were removing the material Sunday evening.

Police were overheard telling residents it would take “several trips and could take up to 24 hours” to remove it all.

Four buildings at Parkview Apartments, including the building where Hinrichs lived, were cordoned off with police tape.

Mike McMahon, who lives across the street from Hinrichs’ building, said he was on his porch at 3 a.m. Sunday “when they (police) started moving in.”

“That’s when the (yellow crime scene) tape went up,” McMahon said.

Whitney Pearson said she woke at 9 a.m. to find police blocking access to George Street where she lives. Across the street, she could see crime scene tape snaking around buildings at Parkview Apartments.

“I talked to police, and they told me I would be safe as long as I stayed on my side of the tape,” Pearson said.

OU and Norman police officers were posted at intersections to keep people away from the taped-off area. FBI and ATFE agents could be seen moving in and out of the buildings most of the day.

A canister trailer used for detonating or transporting potentially explosive material was being used to haul items away.

They started removing items after 7 p.m.

On Sunday, Boren said reports about authorities finding an unexploded bomb Saturday night were false.

Investigators did set off a second explosion, but it involved a suspicious object located near the blast site that did not contain a bomb, Boren said.

Law enforcement acted quickly and efficiently responding to the emergency, Boren said.

“Student safety is our number one concern,” Boren said.

FBI investigators packaged and removed the bench where the bomber was seated when the explosives went off.

A scorched patch marred the sidewalk where the bench had been removed.

Crime scene tape blocking access to the South Oval was removed by Sunday afternoon. Tape was repositioned around a bus and limousine parked on the oval in front of George Lynn Cross Hall, OU’s botany-microbiology building, prior to Saturday night’s game. Blood spattered the lower length of the bus.

No other damage to the area, including the microbiology building, was apparent.

Officials said Hinrichs’ motive for blowing himself up Saturday near the Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium during the second quarter of OU’s game against Kansas State remains under investigation.

OU President David Boren said Hinrichs was a student “who had very, serious personal problems that led to this tragic death.”

Because of what happened, Boren said, the FBI had taken over the investigation.

Boren said the student had explosives strapped to his body.

Investigators would not say whether they believe Hinrichs intended to go inside the stadium before the detonation happened.

"We are dealing with an individual death caused by an explosive device,” Boren said. “There is no continuing threat to the students at OU.”

Boren said OU classes would be held as usual Oct. 3.

Notified of his son’s death Sunday, Hinrichs’ father said he was still processing what happened and did not trust himself to say much.

“I don’t want him defined by whatever limitations led him to this,” said Joel H. Hinrichs Jr. of Colorado Springs. “He was quite introverted. He was a very quiet, introverted, intelligent young man. I can’t approximate what led him to make such a final decision.”

Hinrichs Jr., who broke down in tears during a brief phone interview with The Oklahoman, said he plans to have his son’s remains cremated and the ashes sent back to Colorado.

See less See more
#3 ·
No doubt about it. At the small college across the street where I work, there were middle eastern students throwing parties after 9/11.

Terry Nichols (responsible with McVeigh for bombing the federal building here) had met with operatives in Indonesia about bomb making just a year before.

#10 ·
Pigface1 said:
I guess I missed the memo that said if you're favored by 7, you're an underdog. Thanks for making me abreast of the situation.
:lol: So, english is not the only subject Teddy failed............ :lol:

#11 ·
Pigface1 said:
Uh, yeah. . They're not in the top 25 yet you're saying they're the best team in the nation. Your dumbazzedness never fails. lmao
Number one outdated soft team in America :dthumb:
See Jason White on Rome show? Had balls to say Sooners are improving should be in top ten :lol:

#15 ·
I found this today as a follow-up...

College Suicide Bomber Tried to Buy Fertilizer

NORMAN, Okla. — A University of Oklahoma (search) student tried to buy fertilizer of the type used in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing two days before he committed suicide using explosives outside a packed football stadium.

Police said Thursday that the attempted purchase raised the suspicions of an off-duty officer who happened to be in the feed store at the time. But though an investigation had began, authorities were not able to act swiftly enough to stop the student from taking his own life.

Joel Henry Hinrichs III (search) died Saturday when explosives — made of hydrogen peroxide, not fertilizer — strapped to his body detonated while he sat on a park bench about 100 yards from the stadium.

Nobody else was injured, and FBI and university officials have said there was no indication he tried to get in the stadium or that he had any links to terrorism.

Lt. J.D. Younger said Hinrichs tried to buy the ammonium nitrate fertilizer at the Ellison Feed and Seed store on Sept. 29. The store no longer carries that type of fertilizer.

The off-duty officer, whose name has not been released, followed Hinrichs from the store and wrote down his tag number, Younger said.

From there, police identified Hinrichs as an OU student and determined his address. A police bomb squad was also contacted, and the off-duty officer was planning to submit a written report Monday.

"Unfortunately the incident that occurred Saturday was before the information could be forwarded," Younger said.

Hinrichs' father, Joel Hinrichs Jr., said the FBI told him the bomb his son had was made of hydrogen peroxide. He said the FBI told him more high-density hydrogen peroxide was found in the apartment. He said he thinks his son wanted to commit suicide and didn't want to harm others.

Meanwhile, OU president David Boren (search) released a letter Thursday cautioning the news media and community from jumping to any hasty conclusions about the case.

"We believe that we should not judge others ... on the basis of color, race, gender, economic status or freely exercised religious beliefs," the statement read. "To rush to judge others or make assumptions about them on that basis is nothing short of prejudice."

It was not clear what Boren was referring to, but the statement went on to note that some people incorrectly concluded early on that the Oklahoma City bombing (search) was the work of a Middle Eastern terrorist.

"As we all now know, the person responsible was not someone from the Middle East but was Timothy McVeigh and at least one other American who assisted him," the statement read.

Police led Hinrichs' roommate and three other Muslim students from a party after Saturday's explosion, Ashraf Hussein, president of the Muslim Student Association (search), has said. All were later released.

#16 ·
jetskifast said:
See Jason White on Rome show? Had balls to say Sooners are improving should be in top ten :lol:
They are improving, but they're not a top 10 team. MAYBE top 25, but that's pushing it.

If you knew anything about the team, you'd know they're not soft. It's kind of tough when you lose half the team to the NFL.

Still, I guess you're ignoring the fact that OU's won more games than any other team this decade. And they're second only to ND in national titles. But I'd hate to bother you with the facts. lol

#18 ·
jetskifast said:
Damn, would you PLEASE take an English 101 class? :rofl3: :loser:

#19 ·
Pigface1 said:
They are improving, but they're not a top 10 team. MAYBE top 25, but that's pushing it.

If you knew anything about the team, you'd know they're not soft. It's kind of tough when you lose half the team to the NFL.

Still, I guess you're ignoring the fact that OU's won more games than any other team this decade. And they're second only to ND in national titles. But I'd hate to bother you with the facts. lol
OU little outdated under current conditions ;) Plus OU has been known to play soft teams to build up wins. ;) West coast offense rocks :cheers: Most any Pac 10 school will school OU :yikes:

#20 ·
For nonconference we played Oregon last year, drilled them. UCLA the year before and Antonio Perkins set an NCAA record for most punt returns for TD in a game b/c UCLA's coaches were too inept to kick away from him. The year before that, Bama. Before that, Bama.

Why don't you just copy "I'm a moron" and paste it in every thread, it's a lot faster. :yikes: :cheers:

#21 ·
Pigface1 said:
For nonconference we played Oregon last year, drilled them. UCLA the year before and Antonio Perkins set an NCAA record for most punt returns for TD in a game b/c UCLA's coaches were too inept to kick away from him. The year before that, Bama. Before that, Bama.

Why don't you just copy "I'm a moron" and paste it in every thread, it's a lot faster. :yikes: :cheers:
OU great showing against Texas :lol:
Bet your meds needed to be adjusted ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.