Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better - leather or cordura/nylon/mesh? I'm thinking about a new suit for spirited riding. Obviously the racers wear leather, but I think that would be a bit hot for cruising around Hotlanta. Looks like there are some nice mesh jackets out there with skidplates in all the right places. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
In my experience, the textiles (Cordura) are not all they're cracked up to be when it comes to ventilation. You can't beat a waterproof textile in the rain, however.

Leather, most certainly, will provide little to no ventilation.

I ride with a Kush!tani mesh jacket in the summer, and yes I sacrifice some safety for comfort. I have a Dainese leather jacket I wear when it's not hot and humid. I also have a Cordura that I rarely wear.

Joe Rocket offers their Phoenix jacket and it's incredibly popular, but it's not Cordura. I suppose it's just a question of how much safety you're willing to sacrifice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ride with a Joe Rocket mesh jacket in the summer. Plenty of ventilation when you are riding and padding in the right places. I have seen one that someone took a spill with (not sure how fast) and it only showed minor scuffing - that sold me.

However, definitely not the same level of protection as my leather jacket. But hey, who is gonna climb into leather in Aug in the South?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts