Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suspected motorcyle thief killed, another wounded by Navy guard

The Associated Press - (Published September 23, 2004)

CORONADO, Calif. (AP) - A sailor guarding a Navy base opened fire at three suspected motorcycle thieves, killing one and wounding another, authorities said Thursday.
Navy Capt. Townsend G. Alexander said the guard acted in self-defense, but declined to provide any details. The three male suspects, all civilians, were not armed.

The shooting occurred Wednesday night in a government parking lot that was outside the fence at Naval Air Station North Island on Coronado, home port for three of the Navy's aircraft carriers. A sentry posted in the area reported suspicious activity and four guards at the base converged on the scene, Alexander said.

One guard, an enlisted sailor who had been trained as a military policeman, fired three shots from his Navy-issued 9mm Beretta as the suspects attempted to flee the scene on the motorcycle, Alexander said.

"He did feel that his life was being threatened," Alexander said.

The Coronado Police Department took one suspect into custody on the San Diego-Coronado Bridge. The other was arrested near the bridge. Both men were taken to the hospital, where one died.

A third suspect remained at large.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Good for the seamen! O, WAIT, did I just say seamen?!? :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go Navy!!!!! It's not just a job, its an adventure!!!! ;)

Hey Chris, is that your ride in ur avatar ?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
O, yes it is! Just as the pic in my profile.....and no it wasn't me speeding on any of those highways... :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas Man said:
O, yes it is! Just as the pic in my profile.....and no it wasn't me speeding on any of those highways... :thumbs:

Nope, I didnt see anything..just a blur!! :dthumb:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Thats got to suck. Well, the seamen did his job. Good for him. I bet they will give him a medal or a 3 day weekend now. :lol: :crazy:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Gas Man said:

Sweet bike there Chris.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
LOL I like that one John. Good one. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll keep an eye for a follow up to this story..see what else materializes..

Go NAVY!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
The three male suspects, all civilians, were not armed.

One guard, an enlisted sailor who had been trained as a military policeman, fired three shots from his Navy-issued 9mm Beretta as the suspects attempted to flee the scene on the motorcycle
hhmm..3 suspects...all trying to get away on 1 motorcycle? how far did they think they would get :screwy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how his life was threatened if they were unarmed and trying to flee? Little trigger happy, can't wait for the family to begin the lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
kayaker said:
I'm still trying to figure out how his life was threatened if they were unarmed and trying to flee? Little trigger happy, can't wait for the family to begin the lawsuit.
Yea I thought about that when reading the article. It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
damn bike thieves...they should all be lock em all up for life!!!! Go out and get a job and buy your own like the rest of us!!!! :bash:

the other navy officers/mates that were there will back him up,and its thier word against the suspects, so not much will probably come of this in the end..the victims family will make a case for sure..but well, u know.. :skep:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
The trick was to say he felt his life was threatened, otherwise he's looking at jail time.

Thats all he has to say and stick to it.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Poor lil Navy Semen felt threatened by people fleeing on a motorcycle? Last I heard shooting someone in the back is not self defense.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
Poor lil Navy Semen felt threatened by people fleeing on a motorcycle? Last I heard shooting someone in the back is not self defense.
Good point but they had it comin to em!! :rant:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
there is so many variables that we dont know..they could have been shouting threats, they could have said they had a gun or weapon when they really didnt, 1 or more of them could have tried to charge the guard, then turned around when he showed his gun...it could be any number of issues that only the courts will decipher...but yeah..thieves suck, and bike thieves at that..batrastards!! :bash:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts