Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just looking for a couple pointers and things to keep in mind when setting up the suspension to my pesonal preference. This is mainly a question for the novice riders and track guys. The stock settings are OK, but I know it could be better. Im enlisting the help of a local shop-owner to help me out. He has been in the business for a while, but around here 90% of his work that comes in is dirt bikes. I'd just like to have a couple ideas and things to keep in mind when setting up the suspension to my needs. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to ask about the website that somebody had posted up with all the suspension settings they used when testing the bikes. Thanks bro :cheers:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Keep in mind 30-35mm in front rider sag and 25-30mm rear rider sag. The track setting in the mag are a tad bit stiff for most of us and you really have to be cranking out some race pace kind of times to use the real stiff settings.

Remember no valve should ever be fully closed, at least a 1/4 turn out. My stock rebound damping was really weak.

When doing your measurements make sure to measure a few times and get the average to account for stiction.

Here is a forum dedicated to suspension if you really want to dig into it more.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=45537&subForumID=106434

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm with ya Roach... I'm going to adjust mine next week at the GAP. I'm not liking the rebound setting but haven't had a chance to go thru it with Super or Twisty. Next week, GAP time, so plenty of riding to adjust it out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell me a little more about the GAP. I hear everybody talking about it and about the Dragon Tail and all this stuff. I know its in NC, but dont know any of the details. Website for it? What days are you guys going and where are you staying? Maybe I can pull a roadtrip. If not this time then whenever the next time is. I want to check it out. NC I believe is 8 hours or so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One more before I get lost...

Before I check out those sites and confuse myself, I've got a question. I set my suspension on the '05 1K to the suggestion of one of the mags (Sport Rider). I'm a bit over 200lb and when leaned over and hit a bump(s), the bike abruptly wants to stand up. Any ideas on which way to go? I'm making and recording small incremental changes, but seem to be "spinnin' my wheels." I just don't know whether I should focus on front, rear, compression, rebound, or ?

Anyone run into this and figure out which way to go?

Thanks. I'm so suspension illiterate.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I'm guessing the rebound is to stiff!
Try the rear first and go from there!
I'm 175lb's and had to soften the rear a bit for my liking.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
You should have somebody that knows more about it, check it out! I'm sure your sag isn't set right and do small adjustments.... they make big differences!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gas Man said:
You should have somebody that knows more about it, check it out! I'm sure your sag isn't set right and do small adjustments.... they make big differences!
Yeah, Alan at Sportbike Dynamics, made some adjustments in a direction opposite of the way I was going, and it made a huge difference for the better. Now, some smaller adjustments are in order as there's a bit of "squirreliness" still in the front, but want to try on a variety of roads as the ones I was on today were questionable.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I would also recomend changing the fork oil! It will also improve your handling!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The stock fork oil is like veggie oil... pure crap! Talk to any desent MC mechanic and they will tell you the same thing!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Roach954: What is your suspension doing or not doing that makes you want to do something to it? (very important question to answer when getting ready to set up your suspension). If you come out to a NESBA track day, Roach does free suspension help and tuning. We'll be at summit next weekend on Saturday and Sunday on the Jefferson course if you want to take a ride up. My guess is if you were going to come last weekend, you should be fairly close to it..yes? no?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Gas Man said:
The stock fork oil is like veggie oil... pure crap! Talk to any desent MC mechanic and they will tell you the same thing!
It's not "bad" oil, it's just usually light weight. A stock suspension is designed to handle an extreme range of conditions while providing comfort to the rider. This is a trade-off against pure performance for streetability.

The right springs and thicker viscosity fork oil can do wonders for a set of forks if you're looking for more performance, but the ride will become harsher for non-sporting riding conditions.

- Roach

1 - 20 of 29 Posts