Two Wheel Forums banner

Synthetic -> petro based -> and back

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ShanMan14 
#1 ·
Is there any harm in switching between synthetics and "real" oil and back again? As long as I use the right viscosity and don't mix them, what's the harm?

#2 ·
Everything I've ever read on this subject sez it's even OK to mix them any which way you want, avoiding extremes as, say, mixing a 0-15 with a 20-50 for any extended periods of time or above average loads. The purpose of oil is to prevent metal-to-metal contact and even a 39 cent Pep Boys SAE 30 special will do that; in a pinch, that will get a rice rocket home, but I wouldn't take it to redline...

Switching back and forth is A-OK, but why would you even want to use anything but synth? Well, unless you got a Harley...

#3 ·
Loose Sprocket said:
Switching back and forth is A-OK, but why would you even want to use anything but synth? Well, unless you got a Harley...
:smilelol:

I can't think of why you'd want to switch other than cost. This seems to be one of those topics that some people feel real passionate about; particularly during break-in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.