Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of you have ever done deals gap? a buddy of mine who I havent seen in quite some time now, goes down there a couple times a year, and just loves it. Always has crazy stories to tell, about everything from the food he ate to the accidents he saw.

Tail of the Dragon

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
I've done it. Somewhere I have photos I can post, it was years ago. I was on a rental BMW with radials poking out of the worn-out tires. It was raining and the roads were slick. Not exactly the best scenario. :(

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
K1200RS forum has a meet every year at Deals gap ;)
Also just read on BMW forum, speeding tickets have really jumped in price $1000 or more, if you are caught :bike:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i heard that too,..but you know the old saying, it's only against the law if you get caught :lol: .

wish I could get a few people together that can all go at the same time, from around here...its not tuff getting people together for a half day/day ride..but for a long weekend or week trip..thats alittle tougher with peoples schedules..oh well, will keep on trying... :bike:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
jetskifast said:
K1200RS forum has a meet every year at Deals gap ;)
Also just read on BMW forum, speeding tickets have really jumped in price $1000 or more, if you are caught :bike:

That's insane. I've heard of the local law enforcement baiting riders by trying to get them to pass; I had no idea tickets were that much.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ShanMan14 said:
That's insane. I've heard of the local law enforcement baiting riders by trying to get them to pass; I had no idea tickets were that much.
I was reading up on the deals gap site..and the local cops use such inconspicuous vehicles that the out of towners get nailed ever time too...WTF!!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
yeah i heard that too,..but you know the old saying, it's only against the law if you get caught :lol: .
Just don't get caught running in Calif, its a felony with mandatory prison time :shock:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jetskifast said:
Just don't get caught running in Calif, its a felony with mandatory prison time :shock:
for speeding in general, or passing an officer ? :ack: :shock:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
for speeding in general, or passing an officer ? :ack: :shock:
For not pulling over for your ticket.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jetskifast said:
For not pulling over for your ticket.
Gotcha, thanks! Geez, mandatory jail time, thats gotta suck..do they impound your ride too, and make you pay to get it back ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to ride it when I lived in NC before it got so popular. It got so bad that I would only go during the week. On the weekends there are just too many inexperienced riders for me - I got tired of having oncoming MC's (and cars) in my lane around the many blind corners. During the week all you had to watch out for was big semi's completely blocking the road as they tried to go around tight corners.
While the dragon is fun, there are plenty of other good roads in the mountains that didn't have the traffic problems.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I say we make it a TWF event and all get together and ride it. I'd work it into my schedule. Heck, come on Matt, lets make it a weekend trip and go. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tameing the Dragon...

Yep.. :hi:

I have ridden the Dragon in my 'vette, and on my Kat, and it is great each and every time ! However, as someone said earlier, meeting cars and bikes in your lane, running fast, is not fun when the side of the road ends several thousand feet below the roadway :shock: . There are some really excellent roads all around the area in GA, TN, and NC. so a group ride could be done, and I would definitely be in for it !

:bike:
Steve.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Twisty just got back in early June from the Gap. Everybody that went said it was great!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went to the Gap last year, as part of the Christian Sport bike Assocaition, we have our rally there every year in the second or third week of May. I went down with my daughter and we had a blast. Paul Campbell, said it right, there are tons of great roads there without doing the Dragon. We went down on a Monday and rode the dragon in early morning and then again in the evening, no cops and at that time of year almost no traffic. On saturday it is a different story, there were a ton of riders there and we left about noon time. I found the cops pretty easy going when we were down there. we were carefull were we ripped it up and kept it away from traffic and the towns, most drivers waved us past, I had a great time and I am planning on going back again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts