Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Nothing, keep it original

Votes: 3 15.8%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...been trying to decide if I want to go with a tank bra for my 2000 Kat or just a tank pad. I've seen both many times, and just trying decide which way to go here. I like the tank bra look, but Im concerned as far if I leave it on for awhile, and then decide to ever take it off, will there be a noticeable difference in paint as far as any fading is concerned..and with a tank pad, if I ever need to replace it, or decide to get rid of it, does it come off easy, with a hair dryer?

Bike is kept in a garage unless im riding it.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
CBR Rider said:
Don't know about tank bras, but car bras have been known to scratch paint. Just a thought... :cheers:

I agree..if something gets under there and you rub up it and later take it off...there you go..a few nice scratches. :mad:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
I use a bra on my car for long trips only and when I do I make sure to apply a nice coat of wax first. I'd do the same for a bike.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I use a bra on my car for long trips only and when I do I make sure to apply a nice coat of wax first. I'd do the same for a bike.

Good tip. You the man. LOL :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im probably gonna go with a tank bra I think...but not use it all the time..I like the tank the way it is, but now and then it would be a nice change...and I've had up to about here with decal ahesive anyways.. :nonod:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's some pics of the a tank pad and a tank bra on my bike. You decide which one looks better. :)

I used a tank bra for years and never noticed any problems with the paint under the tank. If you go with a bra, check out either a Second Look or Targa bra as the Lockhart ones are crap.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oooo..I like that tank pad..im used to seeing the small ones that cover a small portion of the tank..thats not bad at all :thumbs: and I could put the pad on, and use a bra whenever I felt the need for a change..hhmm, will have to ponder this over a nice long ride. :bike:

·
Registered
321 Posts
The pad isn't removable, it's stuck on with double sided tape. It's true carbon fiber from Geelong Carbon Craft located in Australia. They are a great company to work with and you can order directly from their website. You'll have to convert their prices to find the US equivalent as they are listed in Australia Dollars (AUS). If I remember, they're about $70.00 USD.

Did a quick look, but I don't see a listing for products for your model, Need4Speed750. :(

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Kahuna said:
The pad isn't removable, it's stuck on with double sided tape. It's true carbon fiber from Geelong Carbon Craft located in Australia. They are a great company to work with and you can order directly from their website. You'll have to convert their prices to find the US equivalent as they are listed in Australia Dollars (AUS). If I remember, they're about $70.00 USD.

Did a quick look, but I don't see a listing for products for your model, Need4Speed750. :(
well damn...that sux ..but I'll keep looking..my only gripe with the pad is the adhesive..as mentioned previously in this forum..i've about had it with decal/adhesive stuff :mad: :lol:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Bras and pads are for other things, not motorcycles. Why not put something useful on the tank, like a tank bag. I've used tank bags for over two decades and they are so handy. Water bottle, rain jacket, etc. Plus, you can actually bring home groceries when you tell the spouse that you are taking the bike to the store. Much better than a dorky backpack.

The bag on my 79 has been on there since almost new. In 25 years, the paint hasn't discolored, but some paint has peeled from around the cap. Probably from the rubber pad holding sloshed out gas or gas fumes against the paint.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Worries said:
Bras and pads are for other things, not motorcycles. Why not put something useful on the tank, like a tank bag. I've used tank bags for over two decades and they are so handy. Water bottle, rain jacket, etc. Plus, you can actually bring home groceries when you tell the spouse that you are taking the bike to the store. Much better than a dorky backpack.

The bag on my 79 has been on there since almost new. In 25 years, the paint hasn't discolored, but some paint has peeled from around the cap. Probably from the rubber pad holding sloshed out gas or gas fumes against the paint.

Good point!! It would be handy.... I just dont know if I could part with my backpack :D It's been my riding companion for so long.

Im just mainly going for looks and also to protect the back of my tank from scratches from zipper on my leather jacket.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Now the newest thing is the Static Cling tank covers. You can order it specifically for your bike and it comes with a tank side and end covers. Some even come with the top covers for a couple extra. But it looks great, as in you can't even see it! Static cling to boot, so no worries on the glue factor....

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gas Man said:
Now the newest thing is the Static Cling tank covers. You can order it specifically for your bike and it comes with a tank side and end covers. Some even come with the top covers for a couple extra. But it looks great, as in you can't even see it! Static cling to boot, so no worries on the glue factor....
cant find anything in a google search on those :( ...can you get them anywhere?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I think they get them from Lockhart, but I'll have to check!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Go with the Bra Matt. It will look pretty good on your bike. :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im thinking i'll go w/ the bra too...looks pretty sweet! mod lists just keeps getting longer and longer....

nice pic jdog :cool:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
If you got with a bra, don't go black. Go with a second look bra. A guy in the club has one on his R6 and it looks just like the tank, strips and all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.